Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

GW Spray Gun Pulled/Delayed
Old 17 Jun 2008, 18:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default GW Spray Gun Pulled/Delayed

A new rumor that popped up over at B&C says that the GW Spray Gun has been pulled due to a manufacturing defect. It sounds like they'll correct the problem and reissue the thing, but it could just end up going the way of the dodo.

I wasn't particularly enthused about it to start with given that I've got better airbrushes already, but I thought it was overall a good thing for the hobby in that it would expose more people to airbrushing. After seeing the diagram for their new 6-step painting system ( prime, spray, foundation, wash, highlight and protect) and the video tutorial I thought the spray gun was pretty good in that context. Given the shown price in US WD 341 ($50) and now this recall I wonder if it was doomed from the start.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 19:09   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: GW Spray Gun Pulled/Delayed

Do you know how long it'll be delayed?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

No idea. It's a rumor. So it could be true or false. Based on the initial report of a problem with a "tube" I suspect it would be a longer delay. They'd have to figure out what caused the problem, find a way to fix it (either with existing guns or with new production). If it is true it could end up costing more.

In the meantime, people who got interested in an airbrush could buy a Badger 350 for cheap and get the same thing with the same spray characteristics. The only thing you'd miss would be the "flamer" grip and the marked paint bottle.

Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The default could possibly be that the pipes that connect the paint pot to the gun is loose, because someone at our store was using the stores one, and the paint pot dropped right off, and smashed on the floor....
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 20:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ok, more detail from Kurgan at B&C:

Quote:
This is confirmed. Just got off the phone with GW. Seems the issue is the propellant hose popping off due to pressure where it joins the spray gun. So no more are going out and any that have gone out are being recalled until they can fix the issue.
I had thought maybe the problem was internal to the body of the gun, but this is the connector at the back.

Old 17 Jun 2008, 21:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

Hmm. interesting.. wonder how they didn't notice that :S

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 21:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arschbombe
Ok, more detail from Kurgan at B&C:

Quote:
This is confirmed. Just got off the phone with GW. Seems the issue is the propellant hose popping off due to pressure where it joins the spray gun. So no more are going out and any that have gone out are being recalled until they can fix the issue.
I had thought maybe the problem was internal to the body of the gun, but this is the connector at the back.
Heeey! I was right!!
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jun 2008, 23:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arschbombe
A new rumor that popped up over at B&C says that the GW Spray Gun has been pulled due to a manufacturing defect. It sounds like they'll correct the problem and reissue the thing, but it could just end up going the way of the dodo.

I wasn't particularly enthused about it to start with given that I've got better airbrushes already, but I thought it was overall a good thing for the hobby in that it would expose more people to airbrushing. After seeing the diagram for their new 6-step painting system ( prime, spray, foundation, wash, highlight and protect) and the video tutorial I thought the spray gun was pretty good in that context. Given the shown price in US WD 341 ($50) and now this recall I wonder if it was doomed from the start.

definitely not a rumor, this is 100% true.

GW made the decision after noticing a defect in the "quality of spray" - their official message proves our theories that this thing was junk to be true.. at least hard to dispute anyhow.

they said:

"The defect does not make the product dangerous, but since we cannot be 100% confident in the quality of this product we are recalling any item that has shipped.

The spray gun (99239999047) and its propellant (1320999903003) are also being removed from sale. "

and they sent out a message saying how quality is on the top of their list and they didn't want to give trade stores a junk product, which we think was the right move for GW and they deserve a Karma point for that one! I for one am proud of them .

I do know a guy on the inside, and on the final morning meeting of deciding to pull the spray gun, they had 2 options.

#1 - pull the gun, and cancell the release until further notice

#2 - release the item, but rush and make stickers that said "warning! this item uses the GETS HOT RULE - and it may roll a (1) for performance!"

they liked the stickers idea, but problem was that they can't force the customer to read the label, and UN brainwashing the red-shirts to "PUSH SALES" and getting them to warn customers about stuff seemed to be a task that only the emperor himself could do.

hence they voted on #1 9 - 6 majority.

:P > :P >
Old 18 Jun 2008, 04:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Arschbombe, thanks for the info. That's unfortunate for people looking to get into airbrushing as I was. However, it may be a blessing in disguise as now I'll be taking your advice and springing for the Badger 350.

For anyone else interested, I've taken the liberty of linking Arschbombe's Hobby article on airbrushes(as well as other hobby tools). You can check out here: [iurl=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=67160.msg952298#msg952298]Airbrushes[/iurl]

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2008, 12:51   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually, I was on the LO boards recently asking why am I always recommended double-action airbrushes when all I ever plan to do is basecoat and stuff.

This is the thread discussing why. I found it to be very helpful.

Airbrushing: Single Action or Double?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote