Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5Th ED Definate wounding rule
Old 13 Jun 2008, 10:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default 5Th ED Definate wounding rule

Hey guys, i have just received the new white dwarf through th post and it says what the rules for removing casulties is. Here it is
Quote:
As always, models with the sams equpment and stats are removed as casulties by the owner of the unit, but it has always become more complicated when a squads consists of different types of models. Casulty removal in these complex units has simplified so you don't have to track excess wounds, and so on.
Now the player must allocate one wound to each model in the target unit before he can alocate a second wound to the same character. Then he allocates a second wound going through the whole squad. repeat. The clearest way to do this is to literally place the wounding dice by each model in the turn until you have run out. now pick up al individual dice on the models which are the same and roll as normal. Then do the differnt characters wounds.
There we go, taken right out of the WD mag. Hpe it helps
Old 13 Jun 2008, 11:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: 5Th ED Definate wounding rule

If I understand this rule correctly (and I do... I think), it's because I've been monitoring discussions about it here. But I think that if I didn't understand it, that quote you give would not help. In fact, reading it made me feel confused. Let's hope they give good illustrations and examples in the book.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2008, 11:44   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I don't like that. I see people using weight of fire with Bolter weapons and the like to force dice onto characters.

Example; a 5-man Assault Squad takes 4 wounds from Lasguns. As I've still got a Lascannon to roll for, the Marine player puts a wound on the Sergeant to try and "save" him. The Lascannon then volleys and knocks a Marine stone dead.

In 4th, the Sergeant could not be "sniped" in this way unless I piled in six shots; only then could I allocate an excess wound onto him as priority. Special Weapons, Heavy Weapons and Sergeants are now very vulnerable to enemy fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2008, 11:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, but it did say months back in teh rumours area. "Hiding in plain sight is no longer viable" so we should have expected it. Just need to find otehr ways to protect them.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 12:31   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

They were not "hiding in plain sight", they were hiding in a big group of men all wearing the same uniform.

This isn't like saying you can't shoot an Independent Character who's stood 50 feet away from another living soul, in the middle of an empty field, because he's an IC. Warhammer already changed rules to state that if you can see a lone hero, you can shoot a lone hero. That is fine.

This rule is not. I'm all for basic weapons having more value, but not to the extent where it makes it largely pointless to bring anything but standard equip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2008, 13:40   #6 (permalink)
Vxx
Shas'Saal

There is an illustration in the book but it may not clear things up. Ill try my best to explain it. It shows 5 marines who have taken 11 wounds including a low AP weapon (melta I think). Each dice is assigned to each model evenly so it showed two dice on each marine and the extra wound was given to the marine who was assigned the melta shot so that is soaked up by the marine that would have died due to the low AP shot.
Then from what I understand you roll all of the dice that were assigned to models with the same weapons then repeat for models with different weapons. So in that illustration I think there was a sergeant, two missile launchers, and two bolters. I could be wrong but for this reply well just say there were. From the illustration you would take the four dice that were on the missile launchers and roll them. If they fail 3 rolls then you would only take away the two missile launchers and nothing more. Then you would roll the two wounds for the sergeant. If he passes all of them then he stays. Then for the bolters, one which has the melta shot and extra allocated wound, you would remove him because he doesnt get a chance to make a save due to the low ap and roll the two dice on the other bolter marine.
I think that is accurate but please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 13:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

From my understanding of the rules, Vxx is right, I got this sheet from GW that says
"Major changes to 40k 5th edition". All what has been said is true.
Old 13 Jun 2008, 14:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I read and played with this rule. It makes LOT more sense then it used to. Now units lot better protection over all, while individuals became a little more vulnerable. its a very good trade off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
I don't like that. I see people using weight of fire with Bolter weapons and the like to force dice onto characters.

Example; a 5-man Assault Squad takes 4 wounds from Lasguns. As I've still got a Lascannon to roll for, the Marine player puts a wound on the Sergeant to try and "save" him. The Lascannon then volleys and knocks a Marine stone dead.

In 4th, the Sergeant could not be "sniped" in this way unless I piled in six shots; only then could I allocate an excess wound onto him as priority. Special Weapons, Heavy Weapons and Sergeants are now very vulnerable to enemy fire.
You can NOT snipe him. You put ALL the shots at same time from one squad. Meaning you roll ALL hits, and ALL wounds coming from attacking squad. Then you allocate them and roll saves. Furthermore, you are the one allocation wounds, not opponent! Meaning that the those AP1-2-3 wounds will not go on heavy weapon teams and etc.
Also it is done, one squad at the time, so the only way to hit sergent with lascannon is to hit unit with like 5 lascannons from ONE squad. i am not sure that this is possible to begin with. In any case its not very bloody likely. The only one who can attempt to drown you in high AP would probably be Current tank bastaz as they all got rokkits and if they hit and deal enough wounds they'll just kill squad outright ^_^, which they would have anyway under 4ed.
It is possible to hit him with mass lasgun fire, and pray that you will do enough wounds that the wound will have to go on sergant, and sergant fails his save. Well, that represents bunch of shot going in squad and hitting EVERYONE. When squad is getting shot at, they don't line up in single file column, like Sarge suggested(Red vs blue)! To quote him on that "We shell march in in a single filed column in order from least important to the most important!"
It also protects smaller units over all, since when wounds starting to "lap around", the guys who failed (were denied) their armor/cover will still only fail it once and the shots that hit them will not Magically carry over to the next guy.

I for one like it and it looks more plausible then it used too IMO. Also prevents LOTs of confusions. I think we'll see lot of "tricks" that people will try to pull, but ohh well, we'll see those with any rules.

EDIT: I am not 100% sure but I think, that shots are resulved one squad at time.

Walk tall everyone!!!!!

- What man is a man who doesn't make this world a better place?
- Definitely, mostly not about the girl.
- I should only kill people after I get to know 'em?

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=53661.0 “TAU customizations” Project
Red_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Jun 2008, 18:44   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
They were not "hiding in plain sight", they were hiding in a big group of men all wearing the same uniform.
And the special guns can be picked up by other members of the unit if the wielder dies.

But in terms of intent, I do like this rule. It diminishes the effects of special weapons and power fists, both of which played far too much of a role in 4th Edition. It also means that the total number of casualties from massed fire will always be lower than it is now, so it sort of balances out.

In terms of mechanics, it is a lot harder for me to get excited about it. I may have to make a dice box for my deathwing units. Every time they get shot at I will need five seperate piles of dice.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Jun 2008, 03:07   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Here's one thing that I won't like:

Say a marine squad of one sgt one bolter guy and a Heavy take four wounds. Two are from bolters and two are from a plasma gun. Sgt gets a bolter, heavy gets a bolter and the bolter guy gets two plasma wounds.

In this case the firing player may have been better off not shooting any bolters at all. There's something that doesn't seem quite right about this, but I suppose I'll adapt.
Darth_Fraggle is offline   Reply With Quote