Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

No mini rulebook in starter set: Huge mistake or no big deal?
Closed Thread
Old 01 Jun 2008, 19:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default No mini rulebook in starter set: Huge mistake or no big deal?

The starter set is $60 but doesn't include a mini rulebook like BoM. It's simply a book for scenarios to play using the minis in the box. GW took a big hit in rulebook sales with the mini rulebook from BoM so now you have to buy the full rulebook separate from the starter set.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 22:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New starter set pics

what no rulebook???? how are you gonna buy a game that doesnt include the rules?? essentially all you are buying then is a wad of figures and some unflexible scenarios. That is dumb marketing in my opinion. If you cant play the game out of the box, what is the point of putting it in a box in the first place? I don't want to shell out for a 60 buck hardcover textbook full of fluff if all I need is the 20 pages of actual game mechanics rules. That really irks me. The BASIC SET doesn't have a BASIC RULEBOOK??!! How stoopid is that? Maybe they will have little mini-RB for sale to go along with it, but they could have just added a couple bucks to the price and made it an all-in-one purchase and I doubt if those little pamphlety books from BoM cost much to produce. God that's dumb.
Old 01 Jun 2008, 22:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I don't think anyone knows for certain. BoLS confirmed a mini rules book a la BfM, and yet scores of others are saying there won't be (remember too, there apparently wasn't going to be one in BfM either). I've also seen everything from $60 (BoLS) to $110 or more for the starter (rumor). I don't think anyone will honestly know until it's on shelves or up for pre-order.

I say it will have the mini rules, simply because that's what makes it or breaks it for a seemingly large number of outspoken forum goers. No rules, no sale.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 00:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
I don't think anyone knows for certain.
The Black shirts I am dealing with say that there will be -no- mini rule book in the 5thED starter box.

This means that it will cost you $110 for both the rule book and starter box.

Old 04 Jun 2008, 02:01   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

That sucks. I would of bought the started kit just to have a pocket copy of the rulebook.

Otherwise, the set looks pretty nice. Not great, not bad.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 04:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

They aren't including the mini rulebook because so many people were buying up those from the BoM set and they weren't getting nearly as many sales on the large rulebook.

In my opinion it's better for new players to get the full rulebook anyway. The fluff and back story of the universe is important to get acquainted with early on.

Old 04 Jun 2008, 04:32   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

I have to agree with Cadaver, I never really saw the BoM rulebook as "the" rulebook, I saw it more as a primer.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 14:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The problem with that is that if they don't put the little rulebook in the boxed set, then that probably means there will be no little rulebook.

Honestly I've heard a few more people say that it will be in the box than it won't. We'll just wait an see.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 14:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The little rule book is great. Even if there is not one in the starter box I hope that they produce one. I'd buy it. It is just so much handier than the biggun.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 16:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, those stuff look pretty sweet. I am presumming this is comming out this moth along with the new rules?