Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Skimmers are basically the same in 5th ED
Old 03 Jun 2008, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Skimmers are basically the same in 5th ED

I've checked it with a store copy of the book. (Not for sale, but for display) and the Skimmer is changed but not reduced. The Vehicle Obscured rule has been changed from reducing all shots to glancing, to a +4 Cover save.
This cover save is both good and bad. It means that 50% of the time you will straight out ignore hits of all kinds. This also means that Penetrating shots are Penetrating shots, no matter what you do. The change can be seen as good or bad depending on how much you like to gamble. I'm on the fence until I play 5th ED.
Dreamshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2008, 18:18   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Skimmers are basically the same in 5th ED

It sounds like the same thing I read, however it appears that skimmers now have to move what they call "full out" which is over 12 inches to get that cover save, unless they are actually behind cover. basically they can't move and shoot if they want to get a cover save for moving fast. Shooting skimmers especially dark eldar with thier open top are going to get hammered.
MXBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2008, 03:46   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

It changes a bit. Most Tau Skimmers aren't fast, so that protection no longer applies at all. But Tau can take Disruption Pods, so they can get it even while stationary. So ther regular situation got worse but the wargear situation got better.

There are a few other changes, some from the regular vehicle rules (Tau no longer have Defensive Weapons apart from Markerlights), and LOS works differently for skimmers. It is not as bad as I thought at first, mainly because Tau still can take vehicle upgrades to mitigate the more severe changes.

For Eldar and Dark Eldar, the protection is not quite as reliable. There is more to fear from a meltagun or Railgun getting through. Same thing with Land Speeders. I am going to have to play with the new rules for a bit to see how much that has changed. I was already getting away from Land Speeders in my Ravenwing for other reasons.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2008, 07:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also as I can Recall, Skimmers do indeed block LoS.
Old 05 Jun 2008, 23:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonette Embrace
Also as I can Recall, Skimmers do indeed block LoS.
Well, LOS is all "model's eye view" in 5th. This is a pain to figure out, at least it was in the one game I've played under 5th edition rules. It will make quite a difference now how high a flier rod you use for your skimmers, and I wonder if you're allowed to change its height during the game, to skulk behind a hill one turn and pop up behind it the next or some such. Anyway, if it is models eye view for everything, then a skimmer on a high enough base will be above the eyes of a short model like a fire warrior and should not block LOS.

So the Fish of Fury lives... maybe...
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2008, 05:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

That's the weird thing, they said you can ignore your own units as if they weren't there when shooting through them, then the rulebook says "if at least one model can see the other target, everyone can shoot, but it also really stresses "true" LOS. I'm not happy yet...the game is still afoot though.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2008, 01:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
That's the weird thing, they said you can ignore your own units as if they weren't there when shooting through them, then the rulebook says "if at least one model can see the other target, everyone can shoot, but it also really stresses "true" LOS. I'm not happy yet...the game is still afoot though.
Not quite. As I understand it, you can ignore intervening models in the same unit, but not models in other units. Friendly units that you're shooting "through" will grant a cover save, both for you and for the enemy.

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2008, 18:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Not quite. As I understand it, you can ignore intervening models in the same unit, but not models in other units. Friendly units that you're shooting "through" will grant a cover save, both for you and for the enemy.
I got that straight from my store's copy of Fifth. I was just pointing out the contradictions that are already starting.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2008, 19:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

they will have to clear this up or else FOF will be i can shoot you (skimmer flies high) but you can't shoot back (skimmer flies low)
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Jun 2008, 19:29   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

That would imply that you could take the model off of a high flying base and put in on a shorter base repeatedly during the game. Regardless of what else happens, that probably isn't going to work.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote