Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Imperial Guard Rumors
Old 31 May 2008, 00:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis
Default Imperial Guard Rumors

Stolen from Warseer. Take with a big dose of salt, but it's always fun to speculate.

Quote:
Take this with the usual dose of salt guys, but someone I trust told me that the new guard codex may have the following things in it.

Army wide special rule: I think itís called Platoon Drill or something like that. Basically, units from the same platoon may ignore intervening squads when shooting. So enemy units targeted in this way do not receive the 4+ save. Apparently this only works if the Platoon command squad is alive and within 12Ē of the rest of the platoon. Iíve been told that this is just one of the abilities guard Platoons may get, but only as long as the chain of command is intact (whatever that means). So loosing your HQ Command Squad may be a really bad thing.

Doctrines are for sure gone (I think we all knew this), but have been replaced by more mutable platoons. Instead of Armoured fist squads you can buy Chimeras for a whole platoon. Or buy the whole platoon grav-chutes to give them deep strike, or drop the heavy weapons from squads and give the platoon Scout. Veteran squads become upgrades to platoons (i.e. they are not elites anymore).

Apparently infantry platoons let you attach certain types of support vehicles to them(kinda like back in second edition). Things like sentinels, hellhounds and demolishers can be attached to platoons. They still take up a FOC spot, but become part of the platoon and so will benefit from the Platoon Drill rule.

The Leman Russ can be bought as a squadron so you can get 3 for a single FOC. They can not be attached to platoons however.

Sniper Squads can now infiltrate, get stealth, range finders and all models in the squad have sniper rifles (and BS 4!).

Like the Land Raider, a new plastic sprue for the Leman Russ has been made that will allow plastic demolishers and a 3rd variant (my money is on the Exterminator).

The Baneblade in NOT in the new codex. It just doesnít work (i.e. overpowered)in games that are not Apocalypse in size.

However Stormtrooper squads can now take Valkyries as transports. Both will be getting a plastic kit. Valkyries follow the rules for skimmers Iíve been told. Again, they want to keep flyers and super heavies out of ďnormal gamesĒ but give people the ability to use them with all the special rules in Apocalypse and Planet-strike (if the ever get around to that.)

This last one makes me wonder whatís they are doing, but apparently there is a new HQ in the book; Inquisitor and Retinue much like the elites from the current Daemon Hunters/Witch Hunters books.

More info if I get it.

Dosadi
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 02:14   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Imperial Guard Rumors

GOOD GOD! If those rumours are true, I will pull a Eric Cartman and freeze myself until that codex comes out, it seems so balanced, I think most guard vets will enjoy this book alot, I know I do, the list seems totaly diffrent and versatile, I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ;D

I am thinking of either a heavy infantry type list with awesome armor support are a veteran regiment.
Old 31 May 2008, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

By the Emperor... If half those rumors are true I will jump for joy, non-stop for two days... This could mean, MORE TANKS!!! Both the models and in games >. And plastic stormies AND Valkaries???!!!

It seems the doctirnes are not totally gone as well, they just aren't doctrines... And this chain of command thing seems to make so much sense, well for a military like the Guard...

They just might have gotten something really right here...

GW better not screw things up...

-By Timjim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-General Thunder
If you want durability, you play Space Marines. If you want strength, you play Tyranids.

If you want to dump firepower into your enemy until not even dental records will be enough to identify them, you play Imperial Guard.
Dan_teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 11:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Plastic Exterminator......

*Rolls in ectasy*

Those look great.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 12:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Awesome. Looking forward to seeing the valkyries.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 13:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to bloodfire

yes nice
all of those rumors are nice
plastic stormtroopers Valkyries and exterminators or vanquishers (think its either of those )
But Isn't it funny to think that guard might be able to copy eldar tactics slightly?
You mean "Perform Eldar tactics better than Eldar", right? :P
Not unless the Eldar have an obscure Warrior Aspect that revolves around the complete mastery of the common light bulb.
Infected by Skaven
bloodfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 14:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

valkyries..yay!, i can for sure make my drop company then. and convert valkyries into vultures too
Old 31 May 2008, 14:47   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via AIM to Praying Mantidae Send a message via MSN to Praying Mantidae

Plastic Valkyries?

Maybe my "Ace of Spades" Storm Trooper regiment will be a reality...
Praying Mantidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 14:56   #9 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

F*** yeah! ;D Luckily I got some more guardsmen on the way. Gives me that flexibility to make changes to my army. Looking forward to the 3rd variant of the Leman Russ AND Valkyries

Edit by FT: Please keep the harsher swear words out of your post, Zenai.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2008, 15:05   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Wow....

I was not expecting something so.... cool.

My only dissappointment there is the loss of my doctrines, which follow the fluff for my regiment...
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote