Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Daemon Codex
Old 04 Apr 2008, 05:06   #1 (permalink)
Vxx
Shas'Saal

Default Daemon Codex

I had the chance to scan through the new Daemons codex for a few minutes tonight. I dont play chaos or plan on playing daemons but I figure I can share a little of what I can remember for those of you who are curious. And Im sorry for not knowing daemon names or anything really about them, like I said, I was able to just scan through it before it was grabbed out of my hands by an excited friend.

-The codex is organized like the Chaos and Orks where you have the unit descriptions up front and points costs in back. Its well organized and has some great fluff. The models look amazing.
- I did not see an option for daemons to be allies with chaos
-Every unit is fearless and immune to instant death.
-Just about every unit I saw had a 5+ invuln save so Daemon hunter special weapons have a purpose now.
-There are a ton of HQ choices and they are pricey. Highest point cost I remember was 333 points.
-The troop choices are the smaller daemons and they are priced around the cost of a space marine, give or take 3-8 points
-Units already come with upgrades so you cant really pick and choose the powers you want, like how you can upgrade a Sgt with honors or lightning claws.
-All units start in reserve, you are not allowed to place any models out for deployment. You choose up to half of your force to be deployed first turn and you roll a dice to determine if the units you picked come out first or the other units you didnt choose. The rest come out later.
-The defiler looking thing has about the same stats as a chaos defiler except with some special abilities and a little bit better armor
-The daemons are brutal, the stats and some of the abilities are simply amazing and look like a very unique and colorful army. Like I remember one ability on a HQ choice that gave units within 24", friend or foe, to re roll misses in close combat. And even one had the ability to rend on a 4+...
-Overall the daemons look to be a very tough army with high stats like WS10 and all sorts of goodies to make close combat a nightmare for your opponent. Even though they have 5+ invuln saves, some daemons have multiple wounds and high toughnesses that will prove difficult to kill.
I will read through it more tomorrow for more details if it is ever put down.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 05:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Daemon Codex

Sounds horrible. Seriously, S10? 5+ Invuln? No force org chart? No allied armies?

... Am I a terrible person for loathing GW for this instead of updating the =][= and Dark Eldar models and DE codex? Especially given the above?
Old 04 Apr 2008, 07:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I dont know, id give them a chance.

Maybe this army was made for fast deployment to minimize the whole 5 inv save thing?

If they wont get a normal armor save, at least they will still get a save in most cases. Its just going to bite if they are near, or close to a space marine in cost <shivers>
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 10:05   #4 (permalink)
Anton

Good find Vxx, but this belongs in the News & Rumours board.

- Moved.
Old 04 Apr 2008, 10:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sounds horribly nasty, both in rules and generally.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 11:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No Force organization chart? Surely that is wrong, so you could potentially have an army entirely of Sould Grinders. I think your wrong there but the rest looks like good hunting for the Deamonhunter players =D
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 11:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would suspect the allies thing and the force org chart are on the same page, so you might just have missed them.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 11:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behdini
Sounds horrible. Seriously, S10? 5+ Invuln? No force org chart? No allied armies?

... Am I a terrible person for loathing GW for this instead of updating the =][= and Dark Eldar models and DE codex? Especially given the above?
Pff, I don't think so...a daemon codex is a pretty bad idea. For one thing, it doesn't make sense, or at least I can't find the sense in it...I mean, why? Who the hell do you know that has expressed interest in an all daemon army, and even if you CAN name someone, was it really that popular of an idea? Second, most of the models already existed, but it's still a new army, and they're still going against what they said before: to get all the old armies updated for fourth edition first before doing new ones.

Apparently they can invest money into sculpting new demon models and writing an entire new codex for them, but they can't get off their asses and give Dark Eldar they're much-needed and long-awaited...um...anything? No, in fact Dark Eldar get their HQ options pulled from the US website so you can no longer purchase and field a legal army (without converting your own lord or haemonculus). The models were horrible anyway, but this just makes me think they're trying to stealthily Squat the Dark Eldar and I don't like that.

A very, very, very optimistic person could say they're removing them because they'll be replaced soon, but yeah, right...all we have are vague hints and bogus rumors telling us Dark Eldar might get their update in 2009 (or maybe Christmas this year). :-\

Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't just eBay the Tau and go to Hordes, Privateer Press seems like a much cooler company anyway. GW isn't going to give a damn about what we think until it's too late to listen.

Anyway...the daemonettes will be nice if I ever go through with an Emperor's Children army (one of many possible second army ideas I'm playing with right now), but like I said, if they don't pull their head out of their ass and realize that there IS interest in the Dark Eldar and that they NEED to do something with them, I might just forget about it altogether. I'm content with my Tau and honestly, I can't really afford to sink even more money into a hobby that I'm becoming more and more disgusted by...and almost immediately after gaining interest in it in the first place at that, having been a 40k fan for little over a year.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 12:03   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Pff, I don't think so...a daemon codex is a pretty bad idea. For one thing, it doesn't make sense, or at least I can't find the sense in it...I mean, why?
Because daemonsmake up a massive proportion of the chaos gods armies - not wholly in real space, but the wars in the warp are dominated by the daemonic minions. And why?? Because an army of daemons is freaking cool.

Quote:
Who the hell do you know that has expressed interest in an all daemon army,
Me for one...

Quote:
and they're still going against what they said before: to get all the old armies updated for fourth edition first before doing new ones.
Yeah, I admit that the revamping of the dark elder are far more neded than a totally new codex.
Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Apr 2008, 12:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Well, the models are cool, but I guess I just can't get over the fact that they did this in the first place. They said they would revamp other armies before making new ones. There are still armies going on almost a decade now without updates and we get "Chaos Daemons"! They also said no more WD codexes either, and then Blood Angels.

I don't know if it's funny or sad, really. But I do know that it's not good business to lie to your customers/fanbase or make promises you can't keep.

Maybe some good will come of it, though...I saw a few people mention Doom armies before, I'm a little excited about that myself. ;D

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote