Warhammer 40K Forum

Comments from Jervis Johnson
Old 27 Jan 2008, 06:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Comments from Jervis Johnson

From the Bell of Lost Souls:

Quote:
Liber Apocalypica
April among other things will see the release of Liber Apocalyptica, which deals with different sections of existing armies, then creates Apocalypse Datasheets for them. First up is Chaos with the Emperor's Children Noise Marines. It's going to be a White Dwarf segment. The April edition contains a datasheet for an Emperor's Children Warband, with lots of juicy sonic weapons.

Traitor Legions
There are plans in place to implement the Chaos Legions in 40k. That means codex's for Emperor's Children, World Eaters, Death Guard etc...bear in mind this is pretty long run stuff (2 years +). Chaos legions WILL be getting a full codex. His exact words were "if we're going to do things, we're going to do them right."

Other Codices
Dark Eldar are HIGH on the list guys. Alien hunters isn't on the radar, since the focus is on updating current army lists rather than starting new ones. This means Dark Eldar, Guard and Space Wolf players are going to be happy. Jes Goodwin is already throwing around some concepts for Dark Eldar plastics.

A new Imperial Guard codex is being talked about.

A Space Wolf codex is high on the priority list, and he revealed they're among his favourite chapters, purely because they actually care about the civilians, they're the good guys as he put it.

There's not going to be much in the way of Lost And The Damned as Jervis feels they're covered already and more suited to Apocalypse as it is.

Sorry for you Armoured Company guys, Jervis mentioned when I asked that they'd be ridiculously hard to manage balance wise, but they're throwing around the idea of giving Guard maybe 4 Heavy Support slots. He first said 6 and then when my eyes widened in shock he laughed and shrugged, "Well maybe 4...". He feels Armoured Company are better off in Apocalypse, and he might do a datasheet on them for it, but as far as 40K it doesn't look good.

Thoughts on the CSM Codex
The idea behind the Chaos legions is that he felt that the last book tried to cover every aspect of the Chaos forces, and did it badly. The way he saw Chaos was as this huge amalgamation of different forces serving the Dark Gods, each deserving their own army book.

The current Chaos codex is meant to represent renegade marines, not necessarily the ancient 10,000 year old servants of Chaos. He felt that while splitting up the different aspects of Chaos into their separate sections while at first painful (as shown by the displeasure at the recent codex) will, in the long run, do each component part more justice than a small 20-30 page footnote in an army book.

Basically Jervis sort of apologized for the Chaos codex. He said they regret not letting Chaos guys in on what the big picture was, and he feels they probably should have pushed that angle a little more (hindsight is always 20/20 though...).

Misc. Items
He wants to release a book of scenarios for 40k as he feels most of the complaints from people come from the fact that there are a limited amount of scenarios and mission types, and people can tailor their armies to excel in those limited confines, and as such win more easily. He feels a more varied approach to missions and scenarios might help to balance the game, rather than a more kill things and have more scoring units than your opponent approach.

Jervis revealed (and I can quote him on this) that Cypher is "absolutely NOT a Chaos Space Marine". The way he envisioned Cypher is as an avatar of redemption, that in some sense the fallen Dark Angels are the good guys, as they see their mistakes and learned from it, but the Dark Angels simply can't see past it, and instead decide to kill things to solve the problem. He also said that Cypher is not entirely human (or super human as the case may be) anymore due to the rend in reality that shattered Caliban, casting the fallen angels through space and time. He said there's a mystical aspect to his character. He also explained a lot of where he got the idea from, a Clint Eastwood movie called High Plains Drifter was his main inspiration.

Also Void Dragon fans don't hold your breath. I asked him if we're going to learn any more about it and it was the only question I asked to which he replied he has no idea.

A bit of god news/ bad news for us Chaos players. Legions down the road but LaTD relegated to Apoc for good. Not all bad as there's always house rules which are a bit easier with the LaTD datasheet for updated stats and point costs.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 06:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Comments from Jervis Johnson

Legion codexes sounds...right. To match how loyalist Marines all get their own codex. :P

And bring on the Dark Eldar, I want to see the new concepts.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 07:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

Hmmmm... I wonder if GW knows about the leaked 5th ed? IF they do did Jervis not mention it because they don't want to look like fools for someone stealing it, is it viral marketing, or is it a decoy release?

The Legions thing makes a lot of sense. I doubt I'll use it since I'm more inclined to play an undivided army than any one god.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 08:44   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Grandpa Ducky Send a message via Yahoo to Grandpa Ducky

I really like the idea of Legion-specific codexes. We'll definitely see some more variety in Chaos then.

The death of Armoured Company has me pissed, though, seeing as I'm starting one right now. Oh well. I'll just have to build it up to 3000 points of Ruzzbots and play in Apocalypse. I'm also quite sad the LatD has officially bit the dust, seeing as I had at one point tried to start a LatD army, too. Not much luck for me... :-\

-Grandpa Ducky

Grandpa Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 09:15   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I don't think that he screwed up with the Chaos codex. But nevertheless a Death Guard codex is something to look forward to. I will not buy the White Dwarf for the codex, instead I will wait for the PDF to come out.

As for DE and Space Wolves, those guys deserve their codices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 10:27   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Honestly, I've never bought that the standard CSM codex should be about 'renegade' marines, and obviously the writers didn't really have a clear idea about what the recent codex was about either. It's supposedly about renegades, but the options are clearly for the Black Legion. Renegades shouldn't have access to Cult Marines, Defilers, or psychotic Dreadnaughts, and they should have access to more Loyalist gear.

Renegades may make up a significant proportion of Chaos forces, but so do the LatD. So it's a bit inconsistent to use that reasoning to justify turning the Codex:CSM into a codex about renegades, but then disregard LatD. Unless they want to make some rules that actually differentiate renegades from traitors, I don't see the point. Everyone could already make up their own paint renegade schemes/fluff and use the rules of whatever legion suited them best, anyway.

But... it's all done now, so I'm a bit baffled by the apology. Apart from what I've said above, the codex turned out reasonably well. Is that all Jervis was apologising about or am I missing something?

Also, I will forgive them if they make any Legion specific Codices available online in .pdf, and if the Cult Legions get access to their respective non-generic daemons.

Also, why the bit about Cypher? Jervis can say what he wants about him, but that's not much use if we don't have any rules for him! Unless we can expect some Fallen Angels rules in the future?

Book of scenarios sounds good. Except the book part. How about just including them in the next rulebook, eh? You're breaking my balls here, Jervis.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 10:43   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

what else can a extra dex cover? well, hopefully they allow each legions specific daemons, for example that if i get the thousand sons dex(my army follow the sons rules) meaning i might be able to use horrors and lord of change. that's one of my many hopes for this
Old 27 Jan 2008, 13:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Woooo Guard!!! So stoked right now! ;D
GeekyGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 23:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

There seems to be a bit of confusion here about a few things and without the whole post of the guy who wrote this some of this is being taken a little out of context.

The comments above are simply responses from Jervis to one guy who was at a Q&A at his local university. The answers Jervis gave are to his questions, and not some all encompassing statement by Jervis. Hence, the seemingly unimportant bits about Cypher and other things.

Also, the Liber Apocalyptica is separate from the Legion codices, they are simply datasheets for Apocalypse and are not full codices which will be coming out later.

Some things not mentioned in the summary above is that Epic will be getting more support, the lack of Chapter Approved and other rules sets have been stopped for the time being by GW development. They want to focus on updating the current armies before adding any sub lists etc. Jervis also said that "armies aren't just for Christmas, they're for life." Meaning that any future sub lists will be very clear if they are a permanent edition or simply for scenarios, campaigns, etc. Something they didn't make clear with LaTD, Kroot Mercs, AC and the like which were intended to just be "for fun" armies and not a permanent addition to the game.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2008, 23:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

And once again, I cringe as my theory of Apoc being used as a dumping ground for the weird and wonderful parts of the 40k universe gathers more and more credence.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote