Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar nerf incoming
Old 17 Jan 2008, 14:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Eldar nerf incoming

There's a preview version of 5th edition floating around, I was looking through it and it looks like Eldar is in for a nerf just because of how the new rules work. First of all our skimmers move 6" less than they used to, what counts as a Defensive weapon has gone down to the strength of a shuricat and below (and all vehicles shoot less, too), all units now can fleet like Eldar can and the new "Fleet" rule just says that you can still assault after moving in the shooting phase, rather than giving any additional movment, so now space marines are just as mobile as dire avengers, with that one exception of going into assault.
kingcomrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 15:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Eldar nerf incoming

Actually that's less of a nerf than I expected. From the cheese cries I was expecting for our skimmers to be grounded, permanently.

And the Defensive weapon decrease really isn't that bad. It hurts everyone!

Do you mean we'll be moving 6" less using turbo boost?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 15:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi BienPensant,

While we know that this is all speculation- the only thing I get from rumors (until they are confirmed) is that new editions tend to result in unit-powerswapping.

Rest assured that if/when a new edition comes out that your basic "tried and true" strategies will be replaced by new rules and conditions favoring other units not so "tried and true". I tend to be a pessimist myself- so when I read these rumors I am biased towards "How did this screw my army, while making another army stronger?", and sometimes sweeping changes in the rules seem to do that. But really, it's just a matter of tweaking your playstyle again.

I remember when 4th edition came out I was like "Wow, forget the wraithwall- everyone will just shoot past it and hit my vulnerable troops", and instead we discovered how powerful (and durable) Eldar skimmers became, and threw many of our once "screened" troops into transports.

From the sounds of it- we may be shelving some of those skimmers and integrating more "screen" and "seige" elements. The skimmers themselves will probably see a lot less upgrades if the defensive weapon rule is true, but now entanglement may be out (bringing rhino rush back in full force). It simply means to me that my I'll be removing many of my hull-shuricannons and probably sporting more scorpions (since RUN would be great for them).

It's all just the pendulum swinging again.

-Yriel
Old 17 Jan 2008, 16:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Toast

So true . It just to early to run around and "chicken little" . Best to wait until we can see the big picture , and the official GW big picture at that .

All thats going to change is Skimmers ( AKA God Falcon ) are not going to be the crutch many view them as now . The rumour of troops only being scoring does strike me as being skewed in favour of IG for example , but again I would like to see if this is A) true and B) what other changes to the current VP/Mission rules will be .

I think finally I will see " Gu@rd r teh h@XXors !111!!!!!!!" threads for a change , instead of the continuos loop that is the " Falcon r teh sUXXors !!!111!!!!!!11!! " threads !

[Insert witty comment's here ....]

Eldrad built my tank
It's a love affair
Mainly Eldrad and my Falcon ( Nargileh 40KO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
We should all make a Spongebob fan-group, and call it the Krusty Krab Klan! Join the KKK kids, it's great fun!

Oh, wait...
Evil_Toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 17:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ugh, I can't even win a fight with the Eldar strenghts NOW!

That being said, I'm not sure I understand the fleet rule changes you're explaining. Under the current rules, can't normal units shoot and then assault? Are you saying the rule change is going to be you can only shoot and then assault if you have fleet?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 17:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yriel: My nerdrage is pretty much over how Eldar foot soldiers will not be any more mobile than any other soldiers in the new edition, the reason I always liked Eldar was for their mobility compared to the other armies. It sucks that our fleet move is being handed off to everyone else, including marine players as if they didn't have enough. The rest of the updates also look really good, updating things like sniper rifles and rending.

Oh, I forgot to mention, skimmers get a (fairly weak) cover save instead of being "glance only" which will tone down the power of our skimmers a bit more. New vehicle damage table works like Apocalypse's.

Quote:
Under the current rules, can't normal units shoot and then assault? Are you saying the rule change is going to be you can only shoot and then assault if you have fleet?
Yeah, the new rules say if you move during shooting phase, you can't assault.
kingcomrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 18:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The run rule is fairly similar to the 2nd edition run rules. In 2nd edition- most Eldar had a base move of 5"-6", while other races were only at 4" movement rates (Squats moved 2"!!!)

Yeah it does standardize movement to the point where we lose a generic advantage on foot. However- considering it opens up the game tactically for other armies- we may discover a "push and pull" scenario where foot soldiers can jockey for position, and with the Eldar option of retaining assault- I like that we have that one extra option that keeps us ahead of the game, but only one that rewards solid play.

In other words- our "bonus" regarding run moves still requires skill to use, it's not some "flat" stat increase that dumbs down player skill. I like that.

-Yriel
Old 17 Jan 2008, 20:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BienPensant
There's a preview version of 5th edition floating around, I was looking through it and it looks like Eldar is in for a nerf just because of how the new rules work. First of all our skimmers move 6" less than they used to, what counts as a Defensive weapon has gone down to the strength of a shuricat and below (and all vehicles shoot less, too), all units now can fleet like Eldar can and the new "Fleet" rule just says that you can still assault after moving in the shooting phase, rather than giving any additional movment, so now space marines are just as mobile as dire avengers, with that one exception of going into assault.
If that is true, it will hurt my current GT Tau List (I use 3 Warfish) and my newly built Wave Serpent (1 of 2) . . . BUT it's too early to get crazy. I am going to continue to build my new Eldar army and be patient. I am too old to get Pi$$ off about small rule changes.

As long as the game is improved and goes more to the tactical player versus the power gamer, I okay with change.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2008, 22:03   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Mole

I'm unsure what to think about the new edition rumors

I just finished building a Wind rider host army, it has 2 Vypers with Scatter laser and shuriken cannon, There effectiveness will go down I presume, besides that, everything else aught to be fine, suddenly my shining spears are better at kicking the ass of battle wagons and the like ;D

When one thing is lowered in effectiveness, something else goes up, good old S6-8 lancing the back of those expensive battle wagons, oh how lovely!
Old 18 Jan 2008, 02:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Also remember guys, they are rumors. People have probably been saying some of the skimmer stuff because they hate the mighty falcon. one thing though, when is this rumored to come out?
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote