Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

GW's money saving plans in action - and yet another price rise...
Closed Thread
Old 08 Aug 2006, 10:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Xenephobic Send a message via MSN to Xenephobic
Default GW's money saving plans in action - and yet another price rise...

Hey all - now although i originally posted this in the Black Library board (What's that? Never seen that one before...) it proberbly belongs here more than anything else, simply because it shows one of GW's money saving schemes in action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenephobic
Well I walked into my local GW today with the pretense of possibly getting some more stuff and chat to my mates, when lo and behold i noticed that the store had refaced its BL stock...now why would I be telling you this, you ask?

Well the BL section was awfuly sparce, with only the new releases showing, so i posed this question to one of my mates on the staff and the stores only full timer - "What happened to all the other BL books?"

The responce was quite appawling to say the least.

FT: "Oh BL have a new way of dealing with the sections in the stores now, they only place the brand new releases on display."

Me: "So, what happens to all the old books, you got them out back as well?"

FT: "Well no they changed that as well, now if the book no longer appears on the order form, then we have to take it off shelf"

Me: "and send it back?"

FT: "No only the cover, we tear the book up (ie: tear out its spine) then send back the covers, then we get money back on them"

Me: "WTF?!, you mean you only send back the covers? Not the whole book? What happens to the rest of it then?"

FT: "Yep, we bin the rest, apparenly its cheaper for games workshop to throw the out OOP (Out Of Print) stuff away, than send it back - costs them less if we send back just the covers."

Now I kid you not because this happened today, and the store no longer had any older books out in the stockroom (I know I checked), apparently this is one of GW's cost cutting plans at work.

Now ain't it great knowing that they are doing both there part for the local schools and the enviroment by just destroying all the stock that they thought wasn't selling.
Now if this is "money saving" then why are we going to have yet another price rise before to long?

Old 08 Aug 2006, 12:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace
Default Re: GW's money saving plans in action - and yet another price rise...

GW regularly update their prices...

After finding an old "to-buy" list from a few years back, it seems that their prices over here in Australia haven't changed all that much, $10 at most in the case of the Troop boxes, otherwise just a few dollars for everything else.

At that, we're only seeing a selective part of GW operations... apparently they're covering the costs of the new plastic production systems.
Old 08 Aug 2006, 14:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey: Its quite simple: Ask for the literature they throw out! Somebody may as well USE it!

Thats terrible... they need to learn order a small amount... novels don't sell like hotcakes.

Stankov

[img width=650 height=288]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a99/GeneralStankov/finalcopy.jpg[/img]
Old 08 Aug 2006, 15:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait, so they're destroying any OOP BL books? Whats next, burning?

I knew they were trying to cut costs a bit, but I didnt expect a sort of Spanish Inquisition
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Old 08 Aug 2006, 16:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to Bash

If they gave you them, then there'd be no reason for you to buy them from the online store.

Even so...I find this hard to believe...it's just too sickening a waste to really accept. It's like the joke going on between everyone at work...telling me Disturbed played at the Hyde Park a couple of months ago...which I refuse to believe as well.

Likewise, I'm scared enough of it that I have to face it might be true...what a waste

Currently playing: Imperial Guard in 40k, Chaos in Fantasy
Old 09 Aug 2006, 21:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Havn't you seen in books "If this book does not have a cover, it is stolen property"?? Or does noone read the fine print right after/across from the title page? Many book people do this.

Its not all that new, though it is very wasteful.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 22:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Actually this is pretty standard for any place that sells books.

The cover is torn off of the book and shipped back to the distributor. This proves the store didn't sell the book which means the distributor owes them money.

It wouldn't suprise me if some of the GW employees pocketed the "destoryed" books and took them home. They can't be sold any more so really the only option is to throw them out.

It's not just a GW thing ANY and EVERY book store does this.

They do it with newspapers as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Old 09 Aug 2006, 22:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Xenephobic Send a message via MSN to Xenephobic

I was very suprised with it myself - and it isn't a bad joke, as the store in question was the store that I worked at, and the Full Timer is one of my best mates, so i'm still seen as "staff" when it comes to things like news and other asorted stuff - it does have its perks i must say - I should be able to get a ganders at the new Fantasy Rulebook, when i pop round to my mates on Monday *drools*.

But yes, we both thought that they could have at least donated the books to a worthy cause - execpt that as Falstead says, in order for them to get money back from there distibutor (which is weird cause one would think that the Black library would handle the distribution or at least GW would) they have to send back the covers - but not just the "dust cover" - the whole spine as well - meaning if any of the staff did want to keep the destroyed books then they would have to make sure that they didn't get the pages mixed up.

Old 09 Aug 2006, 22:57   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If I'm not mistaken that's what many publishers do and is nothing special when they have a surplus of unsold books. A minority will almost certainly be sold to used book stores and donated to libraries but those places only so much space for fantasy and sci-fi genres and will probably not accept more then a few copies.

Old 14 Aug 2006, 13:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
GW regularly update their prices...

After finding an old "to-buy" list from a few years back, it seems that their prices over here in Australia haven't changed all that much, $10 at most in the case of the Troop boxes, otherwise just a few dollars for everything else.

At that, we're only seeing a selective part of GW operations... apparently they're covering the costs of the new plastic production systems.
So have I.
Old Tactical Squad: 12
New Tactical Squad: 18
Old Terminators: 12 (I think?)
New Terminators: 25. Yes, twenty-five pounds for 5 FETHING MODELS!
Closed Thread