Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Are world eaters sane? discussion not question
Old 05 Jun 2010, 15:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death
Default Are world eaters sane? discussion not question

While looking around the forums I noticed a topic about what people think of World Eaters. Are they crazy mindless warriors or do they still have some sense in them?

Heres what I think. They cant be too mindless because they are in a group (showing organization) , they have machines and ships (so they must drive and so on) and well put simply, if they were mindless and just wanting to kill things all the time then they wouldnt have survived now would they?

Thoughts?

Also this brings up another point...would the World Eaters really just consist of Bezerkers. They need Rhino drivers and such...hmmmm.

P.S When I say mindless I mean as in...they just wanna hit things with thier axes and that's it, not mindless like a 'nid or something.

[Edit] I've fixed up your post a bit for you - please try to use capital letters and correct grammar. Thanks. - Rezzy [/Edit]
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 16:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Are world eaters sane? discussion not question

Not a single person in this universe can be considered sane by our standards, and the World Eaters are no exception. :P Having said that, I don't personally think they're any less sane than Space Marines or Commissars, their chillout is just different.

They are able to form a functional society, stick to their social roles, plan ahead... They're just like us, really.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 16:59   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death

Yeah thats what i think. like they have to have battle plans and what not. or they would just kill each other. and then BANG no world eaters anymore. plus they ally with other Leigons and what not so there is diplomacy, i just think there normal (maybe a bit more grumpy) into they get into battle then they start going nuts till the fight is over. Like harnessing anger as a weaopon
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 18:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It depends on the situation. Are they capable of (fairly) rational thought? Probably, when in transit or planning. The rest of the time? Heck no. As soon as they hit planetside it's KILL MAIM BURN until everything's dead. Likewise, if they're practicing any type of religion they're probably more insane as well.

As a whole, Khorne worshippers aren't very big on sanity when it comes to battle itself, and as such I expect planning for battles mainly consists of "Where are the most guys? Okay, how do we get there?". It's possible for them to think rationally, but as soon as the bloodlust comes on them they're little more than killing machines.

Also, on the whole must plan because if they killed each other no more WE, not so much. It's a time honored tradition in Chaos to kill your way to the top, and it happens fairly often. Usually it's due to some kind of ritual combat, but it might just be slaughtering your way through to the boss and whacking his head off. Also Khonate warriors tend to get a little stir crazy with nothing to kill, most famously resulting in Kharn single-handedly breaking the Legion into warbands.

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 20:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think outside of battle they are similar to other marines, well not 'normal' marines, but as sane as a space wolf at least. But once they are in the thick of things they go into a killing frenzy.

Quote:
Also Khonate warriors tend to get a little stir crazy with nothing to kill, most famously resulting in Kharn single-handedly breaking the Legion into warbands.
Correct me if I'm wrong but they weren't they in the middle of a battle when Kharn started killing his brothers? They were fighting EC? and in the midst of the fighting Kharn got so ingrained in battle he stopped paying attention to what color armor his enemy was wearing.
Ironwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 20:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwinds
Correct me if I'm wrong but they weren't they in the middle of a battle when Kharn started killing his brothers? They were fighting EC? and in the midst of the fighting Kharn got so ingrained in battle he stopped paying attention to what color armor his enemy was wearing.
Well, Kharn is crazy indeed. I don't however think he is your typical Berserker... At least not any more than Britney Spears was a typical American teenager. :P

In my opinion Berserkers are perfectly capable of normal combat maneuvers, including sneaking, holding the line, etc. They only use their raging capabilities when it makes sense, ie. in close combat (a bit like combat drugs). Otherwise they wouldn't be able to function as an army - with logistics, support, etc.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2010, 22:35   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I personally like to think of world eaters as being similar to the spartans in 300 - tactically cunning, but they've got a love of battle about them that makes them appear to be insane. They strike me as being one of those armies where if a commander goes after them assuming that he's going to be fighting a horde of frothing, brainless madmen, he's gonna get the suprise of his life as he discovers the skills and tactics associated with the bloodlust.

All except Kharn. That guys just off his rocker.
Firesoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2010, 00:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwinds
I think outside of battle they are similar to other marines, well not 'normal' marines, but as sane as a space wolf at least. But once they are in the thick of things they go into a killing frenzy.

Quote:
Also Khonate warriors tend to get a little stir crazy with nothing to kill, most famously resulting in Kharn single-handedly breaking the Legion into warbands.
It was after they broke off during the night IIRC. Conditions on the planet meant that going out at night meant certain death even to marines. Kharn was so badass he ignored mortal danger to kill stuff, then got mad when nobody else wanted to freeze to death with him. Solution -> light the buildings all on fire to force them to fight.

So no, not exactly in battle, and not exactly sane either.

Obviously Kharn is taking stuff to the extreme, but I expect it isn't uncommon for executions to occur because a commander won't allow his warband to attack. There is some kind of twisted logic to it (See Dan Abnett's Dead-Baby Theorem), but it is definitely beyond any thought process we would define as "sane".

Odo The Brave's Projects: Chaos Space Marine Fandex Project Terragen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus, HARLEQUIN OF TAU 0NLINE!
That makes far too much sense to be used in 40k
Odo The Brave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jun 2010, 00:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I wouldn't call them "sane", but for some strange reason a lot of people on the internet seem to think that World Eaters Marines are outright incapable of doing anything but screaming and running at people with axes. Someone's driving the tanks, the ships, etc.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jun 2010, 15:55   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

You can be insane and yet not be always killing all the time. They could be wanting to get in and still think about all the sacrfices they provided to khorne in part of the other time and that is not what I would consider sane.World eaters enjoy killing too much but everyone in 40k does.