Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Daemon Princes and Armor
Closed Thread
Old 04 Jun 2005, 21:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Daemon Princes and Armor

Ok...here's another question for you Chaotic Experts...and that means you Mal... >

A Daemon Prince with Daemonic Stature still has access to the Chaos armory; now, with access to the armory, why would a Daemon Prince choose Daemonic Armor+Aura when for 10 points less, it could take Terminator armor instead and gain the same bonuses?

or am I missing something here?

Also...while we're at it...what's the better option, Daemonic Speed or Flight?

thanks much,

-M
Old 04 Jun 2005, 21:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to sneroplex
Default Re: Daemon Princes and Armor

I don't think a prince with Daemonic Stature can take Terminator Armour... also if you do take Terminator Armour, you no longer have access to Daemonic Speed or Daemonic Flight. Thus why Daemonic Armour and Daemonic Aura are viable options. :P

As for Flight or Speed, it depends really... I prefer Speed because you can walk with a squad, then break away and fleet d6" and make a 12" charge, which most people don't see coming, and you don't have to let your opponents know you have it until they're being charged. If you're flying around making 12" moves people will see that and they'll be more careful, of course the ability to hop terrain is always useful. And you can model your lord with wings!
I shook city walls and towers, wreaking havoc in the streets. Burned palaces of cowardly kings, not a one stood up to me (fools). Bear bloody banners in blazing skies, brandish battle-axe and broadsword! Let drums of glory sound like thunder, hail Barbaric Warlord!
Old 04 Jun 2005, 22:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Mael:

Well, the best reason I can give is that models with Daemonic Stature may not take Terminator Armor. So that should cover that question

Daemonic Speed & Flight are quite different and very useful in their own ways. Flight used to reign supreme for most Lords, however with the update of Cavalry movement with Daemonic Speed, more and more are using Speed rather than flight, because of the extra distance it allows.

Flight is great for big models, such as statured lords that you wish to move up to 12 inches all of the time. It doesn't leave any room for randomness, but you do get to move much faster than normal. Flight allows much more control and allows you to ignore terrain all together. In heavy terrain battle fields, flight may be more important to jump from place to place, but your assault distance is not improved, only your movement, which is always up to 12 inches.

Daemonic speed on other hand allows for much faster movement overall, but it is mainly based on the assault phase that grants the extra distance. If you plan on purely running for assault, then Daemonic Speed just works faster. However, it does require a fair amount of clear path ways to get a good charge going (fleet of foot ignores difficult terrain, however, charging through difficult terrain does not!). Daemonic speed will move a maximum of 24 inches into assault, but otherwise, it's a 7 to 12 inch move with daemonic speed.

I use both on different setups. For example, on my largest lords with stature, I use flight a lot, because I like to make sure I can move quickly each turn at my maximum speed because I cannot infiltrate. However, with a small lord, I will only choose flight if I want variability, because a small lord can infiltrate, and an infiltrating Lord with daemonic speed can break into combat on turn 1 - something daemonic flight cannot accomplish.

So it all comes down to what you're trying to do
Old 07 Jun 2005, 01:07   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Location: O'ahu, Hawaii Its pretty nice out here. The rent is something else, though.

Daemonic Flight?
Daemonic Speed?
Neither! Get yerself a Berserker Glaive and receive a free D6 Bonus to your movement. The downside is you must go directly towards the nearest enemy. But really, is there any other direction you really want to go?
Old 07 Jun 2005, 05:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ummm...yes.

I don't like units I can't control...I'm more of a strategy type player, though there is that old saying "All strategies fail once the battle begins"

-M
Old 07 Jun 2005, 11:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Xenephobic Send a message via MSN to Xenephobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan The Chaos Marine
Daemonic Flight?
Daemonic Speed?
Neither! Get yerself a Berserker Glaive and receive a free D6 Bonus to your movement. The downside is you must go directly towards the nearest enemy. But really, is there any other direction you really want to go?
Yep and you watch as that cunning eldar (on jetbike) or tau player (with jetpack) keeps just far away enough so that you have to chase him around the board.

I know it happened to me before.

Old 07 Jun 2005, 17:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'm not going to get into a 'my way is better than yours' type of discussion...it's inane and pointless.

Fielding Eldar fast attack, Tau jet packs etc doesn't automatically guarantee you won't take hits....likewise, fielding a unit with a Berserker Glaive doesn't guarantee you'll be any more effective in a game than a well placed, Infiltrated unit with True grit, Bolters + CC weapons.

Your experiences aren't neccesarily everyone else's.

Player skill, and luck of the dice...that's the bottom line.

-M
Old 09 Jun 2005, 21:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to Xenephobic Send a message via MSN to Xenephobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael
I'm not going to get into a 'my way is better than yours' type of discussion...it's inane and pointless.

Fielding Eldar fast attack, Tau jet packs etc doesn't automatically guarantee you won't take hits....likewise, fielding a unit with a Berserker Glaive doesn't guarantee you'll be any more effective in a game than a well placed, Infiltrated unit with True grit, Bolters + CC weapons.

Your experiences aren't neccesarily everyone else's.

Player skill, and luck of the dice...that's the bottom line.

-M
Lol it wasn't ment as a patronising thing, but ive watched my korne army all fail there blood rage in a single turn and be forced to chase a lone model that just managed to keep out of my reach, and your quite right, the luck of the dice really does come into it....all those ones :'(

Cause a few turns later i caught him with the lord, and my army was free to run after the rest of his.

Its just a down side of using khorne that an opponent can exploit.

I actually found it hilarious, you just saw this red horde change direction and run after a farseer.

Old 09 Jun 2005, 23:59   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Xenephobic:

It's absolutely brutal sometimes, I agree. I myself have done this, using a rhino to "pull" a few Khorne characters around the board, which is sad because it's just a rhino, it moves fast, and cost less than almost anything out there, and most khorne armies don't really run much that will break open a Rhino from far away that they really care to waste firing at it (or that survives long). I've seen Khorne characters get pulled by all sorts of scummy little units, as they run after it and it really can be a pain for your character in general if someone really has an opening to do this. But hey, rules are rules

Cheers!
Old 10 Jun 2005, 02:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Such is the way of the Berserker...still, Khornites are awesome, and when I first started thinking about doing a Chaos army, it was a toss-up between Khorne and Death Guard...

My need to strategize and my tendency towards deliberate movement won over, and a DG army was borne.

Speaking of DG and Khorne, the local hobby shop near me tends to have older GW stuff in the back, and while digging around today, I found an old boxed set of plastic Chaos warriors...8 to a box, 4 World Eaters, 4 Plague Marines...how could I refuse?* weeheeeee!

The downside is that it's 4 each of the same model....so I'll be doing some major conversions on at least 3 Plague marines tonight.* Still...was nice to be able to get ahold of some older bitz....

Oh, and Mal...I ordered my 4 DG Meltagunners today.....cry Nurgle, and let loose the Havocs of war!!!

-M
Closed Thread