Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Icon Bearers
Old 20 Oct 2008, 18:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Icon Bearers

I was rereading the rules for Icon Bearers in a unit and he never specifies which model in the unit carries an icon. So in theory, could I let my Aspiring Champion be my icon bearer? While not the most practical situation with Greater Daemon summoning, I'd think this would prevent your unit from losing the icon gifts, considering my champion is often the last unit I remove from my unit.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 18:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Sinsparagon
Default Re: Icon Bearers

With the new wounds allocation rules in 5th ed, that would be a pretty bad idea. I tend to split all of my upgrades among the unit.
Sinsparagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2008, 19:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wound allocation is different in 5th? My friends told me it was the same. Oh well, I thought I discovered some brilliant tactic. I should probably go out and buy AOBR.
Old 20 Oct 2008, 19:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I tend to put the icon on my AC in about half the squads. I agree about the Greater Daemon problem, but still I guess it pays off.

As to the wound allocation, well... AFAIK it applies only to close combat, or when the number of hits in shooting is greater than the number of models in the attacked unit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 05:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

no its any number of wounds, yes you get to chose what models have to make the saves (so your asp champ can still live for abit longer) you will loose your basic guys fast......

When I run icon'ed squads, they are usually small (sacred number and all) so I try and sqread the special stuff around, that and the squads wwere build in 4th......
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 09:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Sorry but I still don't get what's so new about wound allocation in the new edition that makes troops more vulnerable.

As to the bearers, I generally tend to disperse the stuff too, as I simply like to stick to the theme of having in every squad a leader, a standard bearer, and a musician... well, maybe not a musician. In some instances however the Champion carries the Icon himself though; it depends on the personal style of a Champion.
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2008, 13:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

^_^ I was being kinda facetious telling you to read page 25 again - elliot says "RAED P25" so many times in that post I thought it was worth saying moar.

For anyone who didn't catch it, that snarky post I made above is actually a link to a clear explanation of 5th ed wounding rules. The major change (as I understand it, having not played 4th) is that wounds get allocated to 'batches' of identically-equipped and -statted models before armour saves. So, neither player has total control over where the wounds go - the defender has to allocate wounds and then gamble on the saving throws.

This relates to this thread because

- having all your important gear on one guy isn't totally safe: they might take a wound and there's nothing you can do to guarantee they'll be the last one standing; and

- spreading gear around a squad creates more 'batches' of models to allocate wounds to. This gives you more fine-grained control over where the hits are going when your squads start taking damage.

Over in the Tau forum we've been plotting how to use our Crisis suits to exploit the new wounding rules with minor differences in equipment and a mixture of drones. Fear our infinitely-long wound-allocation thinking! For the (cheese) grater good!

While I'm here, hi to everyone who I haven't yet seen in the Tau section ^_^ I'm amazed how big this forum is!
Old 24 Oct 2008, 05:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Yes having a bunch of different grouping helps also in that you can spread your bad luck around. So you can fail two saves on one guy and only take one casualty. I also have abused the new rending rules to put two rending hits on one marine. Also it is almost impossible to get a power weapon or fist on the marine then as it comes on the same arm. Anyway it gives you more special people for whom you can create fluff.
Old 24 Oct 2008, 05:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wow. These new rules seem so...unbalanced? I don't know, it just seems odd that I can declare a icon bearer as a "unique" and place something like 4 bolter wounds on him to make saves for, effectively on losing one guy if I ruled horribly. Am I reading these rules correctly? If so, imagine the survivability of a Chosen unit equipped individually different from one another?
Old 24 Oct 2008, 05:38   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OstentatiousOrc
Wow. These new rules seem so...unbalanced? I don't know, it just seems odd that I can declare a icon bearer as a "unique" and place something like 4 bolter wounds on him to make saves for, effectively on losing one guy if I ruled horribly. Am I reading these rules correctly? If so, imagine the survivability of a Chosen unit equipped individually different from one another?
Each model can only be allocated a second would if all other members of the unit have a wound allocated to them first. You can't allocate all wounds to a single model with unique equipment. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are thinking the rules do, though. If so, my bad.

As far as Icon Bearers go... I don't take them at all. This is likely because I am a Nurgle player and 50 points is often not worth it unless the unit is huge. I can usually just get Plague Marines for a few more points and my T5 isn't going to be removed by my Icon dying, plus I have FnP.

I don't agree with putting the Icon on a Champion in most cases as it will just make the loss of that model hurt all the more when it invariably occurs.

I'm better at L5R than I am at 40K.
PlaguedOne is offline   Reply With Quote