Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Obliterator Cult or Chaos Havocs?
Closed Thread
Old 11 Aug 2008, 05:28   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Obliterator Cult or Chaos Havocs?

I've been flipping through the Chaos Space Marine Codex and I wanted to start Iron Warriors [size=1pt]either that or Word Bearers[/size], so what I want to know which is better in both game and fluff terms? Obliterator Cult or Chaos Havocs?

Oh, the army composition will be 4 Mechanized Chaos Space Marines along with 2 Chaos Terminator Squads. And maybe a Daemon Prince or a Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor. Ya, I want to ask about that too :P
Old 11 Aug 2008, 05:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Obliterator Cult or Chaos Havocs?

Obliterators are extremely fluffy for Iron Warriors. They are also much more versatile, tougher, stronger in CC. However, Havocs have their charms too, so don't completely ignore them.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 06:30   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

For your fluff A daemon prince and A lord in termie armor will fit.

But the main question. I'd go with oblits. While there is the disadvantage of monetary costs and in game terms they have no solid slug weapons and there is one less weapon than a normal havocs unit, there is the disticnt advantage having so many weapon options, and the fact that they are basically a super terminator version of havocs is nothing to write off...

Old 11 Aug 2008, 09:49   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

and deep striking capabilities to boot.

In a essense, you could put him in league with a tau crisis suit, just armed with heavier weapons, and options. Since they can change on the spot it helps, and usually ld checks are no big deal with these brutes
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The only thing you miss out on with Obliterators is the sheer number of shots, while you get the benefit of being wonderfully versatile in your weapon selection, you won't be able to rival the number of shots a full havoc squad with lascannons can put out. That's the price you pay for versatility, though Obliterators are very cool and useful to have.

As JD said though, they are quite expensive to make an effective anti-tank force. Sometimes, it may pay to use Havocs instead. Plus, you're using Iron Warriors so the mroe big guns the better :P Start with the Obliterators, but along the way you may wanna pick up a havoc squad to boost your firepower.

P.S. Word Bearers are, in my opinion, absolute pansies Stick with the Iron Warriors.
Old 11 Aug 2008, 15:52   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
The only thing you miss out on with Obliterators is the sheer number of shots, while you get the benefit of being wonderfully versatile in your weapon selection, you won't be able to rival the number of shots a full havoc squad with lascannons can put out. That's the price you pay for versatility, though Obliterators are very cool and useful to have.

As JD said though, they are quite expensive to make an effective anti-tank force. Sometimes, it may pay to use Havocs instead. Plus, you're using Iron Warriors so the mroe big guns the better :P Start with the Obliterators, but along the way you may wanna pick up a havoc squad to boost your firepower.
OK, I'll have at least one Chaos Havocs Squad and one Obliterator Squad Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
P.S. Word Bearers are, in my opinion, absolute pansies Stick with the Iron Warriors.
:shifty:

OK, the Mods are free to lock this thread
Closed Thread