Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Rituals
Old 06 Aug 2008, 06:04   #1 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

Default Chaos Rituals

Hey everyone,
While not a Chaos player (though I do have half an eye on Thousand Sons), I've come here to ask for some background help.

I want to create a diorama where the Inquisition is just arriving to break up a ritual being performed by Chaos cultists, with maybe a chaos marine overseer (battle brother or sorcerer). My plan was to have the Inquisitor confronting the main heretic in the middle and have a Chaos symbol etched into the ground glowing. But it was just pointed out to me that I know nothing about Chaos rituals and whether I was leaving out important details.

Not sure what type of ritual it would be, the only one I'm semi-familiar with would be a summoning or warp rift to allow daemons into this realm.
And I don't know what's required. A sacrifice? And would one need an altar or something in the middle that the sacrifice is tied to? Or would there be some other fiendish device?
And what point would be too late to intervene? I want the Inquisitor arriving just in time, so everything's "in the balance" and anything could happen.

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can give me! And if this is the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 09:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Chaos Rituals

It would normally be a summoning or it could be a sorcerer gaining kmore power through some sacrifice, or if you wanrted a real challenge for your inquisitor it could be that a champion of chaos is starting its daemonic acension. It would probably be too late too stop it at the point when the warp rifts start opening, al though that wouldn't bother someone like torquemada, because he'd merely close it again half the time, but for a normal inquisitor or lord, it means death. If you have the daemon hunters codex on one of the pages, theres a short story about a summoning and you could base it on that if you wanted. Most of the time it would be a sacrifice, like in the apocalypse book (i think it is at any rate, but i'm not sure) some chaos lord guy has to sacrifice 10000 souls for ahriman to use to win the battle, so it could be something where if you fail the whole solar system would end. But the fluff of its up to you. Oh yeah, nearly forgot, the sacrifice would normally be on the mark of the god, or the chaos star thing.
Hope this helps you (and the inquisition).

Mamba.

mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 11:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Maybe take a greater Daemon model and paint it to look like it is a statue and they are trying to sacrifice someone to bring it to life?
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2008, 13:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to kael8973

a cool idea my friend used is to make a hole in the summoning alter and paint it in pinks, reds, and purples then add a gloss over it to give it a shimmering warp like effect. then take the upper torso of whichever greater daemon you choose and pose it to make it look like its climing out of the rift. position it in the hole however you like and there you go. one partially summoned greater daemon ;D

-Autarch Kaelmor
Old 06 Aug 2008, 16:23   #5 (permalink)
Anton

Chaos rituals are too diverse and incomprehensible to be specific about, anything can happen! I would recommend you purchase Codex: Daemonhunters, there is some fantastic stories and facts in the Codex that should explain Chaos rituals better than I, or anybody else can. But, if you are serious with your idea I would strongly recommend Liber Chaotica, it is the "know it all" book of Chaos and an essential book for all those who tread the path of Chaos, you could in essence say that Liber Chaotica is the "bible" of all things Chaos.

Good luck with your project!
Old 07 Aug 2008, 06:53   #6 (permalink)
Cal
Shas'Ui

I do in fact own, Codex: Daemonhunters. But I don't think I'd be able to get Liber Chaotica even if I found it.
The short story I believe you refer to is the one near the start with the Inquisitor climbing the volcano, hiding and observing the cultists and then charging into the fray? If so that's the story that gave me the inspiration to attempt this idea. It seems like a Summoning would be the best way to go.
And how come Torquemada would be so much better than an Inquisitor Lord? He is an Inquisitor Lord, and Lords are some of the most powerful individuals in the Imperium.

The Greater Daemon idea is interesting... Both statue (maybe magic reaching towards it, or starting to colour the feet?) and climbing out of rift (though how late is too late for the Inquisitor?).

Though that leads me to the altar thing. Is it usual to have a sacrificial altar in the middle? Otherwise, I was wondering about having Forgeworld's Rogue Psyker (no. 2, the one with hands on head) chained into the middle (his expression looks pained enough, and the Chaos mark would look the part). Or alternatively go with you warp rift idea, though wouldn't that be suspended in mid air? (that's the impression I got from the DH story).

Also what do you think about the Chaos Marines taking control? Would they be content to stand there and watch or would they have forcefully taken over the operation to ensure it ran smoothly? (hopefully they'd stand just stand there...)

And last thing, I was originally planning to etch the Chaos star into the ground and have that glowing, but would it look more Chaosey if it was raised, like something pressing up from the earth?

Anyway, thanks for the help and avice you've given me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comissar Gaunt to an unknown Fortis Binary trooper
"Hold Fast!"
"They're killing us!"
"So kill them back!"
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 08:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
And how come Torquemada would be so much better than an Inquisitor Lord? He is an Inquisitor Lord, and Lords are some of the most powerful individuals in the Imperium.
Well a) hes the lord of the formosa sector or something like that and b) have you seen what hes like against daemons s8 i6 etc. i think even Skarbrand would rather be seen in a pink cocktail suit then fight him.
mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2008, 11:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like the pressing up from the earth idea, kind of like the scene in the mummy... it would look much more supernatural.
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 13:34   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

It'd be bloody hard to do, but try and convert something like a Bloodthirster climbing out of a Space Marine who is acting as a conduit. That would look so damn sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 22:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I believe summoning could happen in many ways, and my best suggestion is too use your fantasy.

Altough i do believe they make sacrifices, and you also need to find out what is being summoned. Greater daemons as we all know no longer require a host, they are like lesser daemons summoned. Or you could make a diorama where a mighty lord ascended to daemonhood.

But try to imagine yourself how you want it and start working from there.
krizztheberzerker is offline   Reply With Quote