Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Plaguebringer & new poisoned rules (plus a question)
Old 23 Jul 2008, 00:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Plaguebringer & new poisoned rules (plus a question)

Point #1
I haven't seen this mentioned yet and thought I might bring it up here. The new 5th edition poisoned weapon rules make the Plaguebringer even more lethal than before. Under the new rules, wounding takes place as follows:

T4 or better - 50% chance...as in 4th edition.
T3 or worse - 75% chance....as opposed to 50% in 4th edition.

This is especially tasty against T3 targets where a normal power weapon would yield only a 66.7% chance of wounding. So we get a slight bump here. Against T2 targets, we take a slight hit from 83.3% to 75%. But no worries - if you charge a unit of Grots with your 150+ point model...you deserve to take a hit. :P

[hr]
Point 2
With the new rules for Power Fists...the #2 best weapon for Chaos Lords has taken you from 5 attacks on the charge to 4. Since the Plaguebringer was
always two handed, you retain your 7 attack average.

[hr]
Question
In light of the Bloodfeeder FAQ ruling, could a Lord with this set up get 11 attacks?

Lord with Mark of Nurgle, Palanquin of Nurgle, Plaguebringer.

You could get 3+1+1+D6 attacks on the charge for an absolute maximum of 11. Would you consider this legal or does the FAQ only apply to the Bloodfeeder?
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 01:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Plaguebringer & new poisoned rules (plus a question)

Point one: agreed. The way poisoned attacks work now is so much better than it was.

Point two: umm... not agreed? Why would you take a model with a high initiative and reduce it to 1? Powerfists are insanely good on your aspiring champions, but on a chaos lord... You want a high number of attacks, take a Khornate lord with his daemon weapon. Possibility of 17 attacks on the charge... though the average will be more like 10-12.

More attacks that are reliable? Twin Lightning claws (if you give them to your lord with the mark of Slaanesh... initiative 6 is soooooooooo good)

Question... errr... Three? : It doesn't pertain to the BloodFeeder exclusively. It allows for any base characteristic to go above ten, but only for the turn. You can't get something that starts the game strength eleven, but if you were naturally strength 5, had a power fist and furious charge then you could on the turn you charge... (hmmm no wonder ork warlords are taking power klaws... :'( )
Old 23 Jul 2008, 03:57   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howloutloud
Point two: umm... not agreed? Why would you take a model with a high initiative and reduce it to 1? Powerfists are insanely good on your aspiring champions, but on a chaos lord... You want a high number of attacks, take a Khornate lord with his daemon weapon. Possibility of 17 attacks on the charge... though the average will be more like 10-12.

More attacks that are reliable? Twin Lightning claws (if you give them to your lord with the mark of Slaanesh... initiative 6 is soooooooooo good)
Sorry, I guess I didn't make my point. I was saying that the new Power Fist rules actually help to encourage the Plaguebringer because you get the extra attack plus the benefits of a Daemon Weapon. Actually, the Power Fist drops way off the map now with only base attacks at I1.

I do agree that Lightning Claw Pairs are great as well. But I like my potential 11 attacks on the change.

Quote:
Question... errr... Three? : It doesn't pertain to the BloodFeeder exclusively. It allows for any base characteristic to go above ten, but only for the turn. You can't get something that starts the game strength eleven, but if you were naturally strength 5, had a power fist and furious charge then you could on the turn you charge... (hmmm no wonder ork warlords are taking power klaws... :'( )
Thanks, that's what I thought too, but I'm notoriously wrong on this sort of stuff. :
Old 23 Jul 2008, 09:28   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

I will always use the Plaguebringer, as I love the number of attacks it brings. But now with the new wounding rules for Poisoned weapons, I now see that my intended role of Infantry Salughterer is now even more viable than before.

As for the Palanquin idea, I say it is a little wasted on the Lord, as you want to get in fast into combat. A bike is way better i that sense as it allows one to position themselves to deal the killing blow. With ample support, he will be chewing though the ranks of enemies like there is no tomorrow.The Nurgle Biker Lord with Plaguebringer will be one of my most effective Scoring-units destroyer, no doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jul 2008, 19:34   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm pretty sure t4 is in the category you get rerolls against, I think you only lose them vs. things you would normally need a 5 to wound, thus the poisoned weapons always benefit you. If it doesn't work on equal toughness there's a hole, as it helps vs. t5 and t3, but not t4.
Old 24 Jul 2008, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40kenthusiast
I'm pretty sure t4 is in the category you get rerolls against, I think you only lose them vs. things you would normally need a 5 to wound, thus the poisoned weapons always benefit you. If it doesn't work on equal toughness there's a hole, as it helps vs. t5 and t3, but not t4.
You are correct. I re-read it and it reads as "the same or higher". Thanks for pointing that out!