Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What would be better, Termies or dreads?
Old 19 Jul 2008, 10:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default What would be better, Termies or dreads?

I have this Terminator setup.

4 Terminators
-1x Chain fist
-1x pair of Claws
-IoK
1 Terminator Champion
-Pair of claws

225 points

But i'm not sure wether I want them or these

Dreadnaught
-2x CC weapons

Dreadnaught
-2x CC weapons

200 points

The rest of the army is medium armor (2 defilers, 1 vindi, 2 rhinos) with 16 berserkers, 10 marines, lord, kharn and a greater daemon.

The extra 25 points would go towards a plasma gun for one squad of marines (they are split into 2 squads of five with IoCG) and maybe a melta for the other...

Please note I am light on anti tank and I think the Dreads might fill that a little more.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 11:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: What would be better, Termies or dreads?

Straight and simple go with termies... why?

Because even with 5th ed rules dreadnoughts satill die relatively easily and fielding two of them is just... well... ummm... nah! Think about it with two dreadnaughts can be exchanged for a marine sqaud with two meltas which in turn could drop both dreads very quickly. But yeah go with the termies because they are also they are more flexible than dreadnaughts. Ohh and that force could use the extra bodies
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jul 2008, 12:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

I'd take the dreadnoughts.

Why?

You may have seen my recent post in General 40k about what I believe is fun about 40k.

JD, your Khorne Lord will look absolutely AWESOME flanked by two dual CCW dreadnoughts. They don't have oodles of guns so you won't be taking too much damage from a fire frenzy. Whereas Terminators... eh. Meh. They're Terminators. Everyone and their Mum fields Terminators. They're not cool anymore.

Looking at the rest of your army... Two defilers? Vindicator? Rhinos? Greater Daemon? It's a no brainer for me. You have the space for the Dreads then TAKE THE DREADS. They will also be a damn sight more intimidating than the Terminators, so they can draw fire... draw fire *away* from your Battlecannons, which will be dropping people every turn you fire them.

Take the dreadnoughts JD
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2008, 01:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Go for the Terminators. Why? Even though they're Close Combat nutjobs, the option of deepstriking them to a key position is still valid. Whereas the dreads are cool and such, but tend to attract alot of firepower as they jog across the battlefield.

To put it in another way- the dreads could be killed by one lascannon shot each (Still happens even in 5th too often for MY dreads liking) whereas it wall take FOUR lascannon hits to kill the entire Termie squad. Also... If your opponent uses his boltguns/lasguns/pulse rifles/whatever on ther terminators, it will mean he's not blowing your much more valuable Bezerker troop choices off the field. If he ignores the termies, your close combat killers will make a mess of most enemy squads- ESPECIALLY loyalist terminators. THINK of all the attacks per round the termies can crank out on a charge...

The dreadnoughts can also be used as a distraction element, but even with the additional combat arm and the charge bonus, they get only, what... 4 attacks? 5? That's great for killing tanks or monstrous creatures, but if you get swamped by any large squad (Termagaunts, Orks, whatnot) or a squad with a powerfist/krak greandes you'll be in trouble...

What armies do you mostly fight?

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2008, 05:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's a tough one, JD. I really think both units would work well in your army. I'm absolutely crazy about Khorne terminators, although I personally would load them out with all LCs and IoK. The number of attacks on the charge is just sick. However, as you're trying to add anti-tank that loadout doesn't help you much( but it's still super cool!)

As for the Dreads, keeping them CC oriented is not only fluffy but really lessens the impact a FF role will have if they were to target friendly models. I'd say for what you're after go with the dreads. However, if you've got the cash for it I'd spring for both, so you can have a little flexibility and just cause they're both great units for a Khorne arm IMO.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2008, 07:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Well this is actually for a Tournament list. But I know for a fact there will be at least these going.

-Aspect Eldar
-Jetbike Eldar
-Iyandan Eldar
-2 Swarm nid lists
-at least 4 Marine armies
-Possibly a 1k sons army
-one guard army
-one daemons
-one tau
-and one daemon hunters.

So a bit of everything really.

I think i might go for the armor loadout and take the dreads.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 07:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

remember, there will be monoliths and landraiders, so anti-tank might be the better option...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2008, 08:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I am also having considerations as to what support HQ i should take. My Primary one is Kharn, and he stays. The secondary is a toss up between these two.

Lord
MoK
Daemon weapon
Wings
160pts

Daemon Prince
MoK
Wings
140pts

Thing is the lord looks fantastic, the prince dosnt look too bad either but the lord is a nice model. Now both are god infantry killers BUT the prince is a better tank hunter. And i think that will help more than an infantry killing lord. And the prince cannot be instant killed.
Old 20 Jul 2008, 08:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yer go with the prince for those reasons and because with his kitted out status and eq he will actually be cheaper than a kitted out lord.
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jul 2008, 09:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

You could even use the Lord model to stand in as a DP if you put it on a bigger base.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote