Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th edition and lesser daemons
Old 14 Jul 2008, 15:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to kael8973
Default 5th edition and lesser daemons

Ok i know i posted a topic about what people thought of lesser daemons before. But bringing it back would be necromancy so i started a new one.

With the arival of 5th edition i now see an ever expanding list of possibilities for lesser daemons. They can easily take objectives at the last minute or help bolster an already held objective.

So has anyone changed their mind reguarding the lesser daemons of the chaos codex? or are they still the useless units they were in 4th?
Old 14 Jul 2008, 22:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: 5th edition and lesser daemons

Well they are still slightly cheaper marines with a crap save and no shooting ability. But they can be deep struck and don't take a troops selection so you can have unlimited amouts of them (points allowing)

You could send them into combats and leave your marines holding the objectives, as they have the better armour save they could hold osmething alot easier then the daemons could.
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2008, 08:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't think lesser daemons can capture objectives. The rules state that it has to be from your troops allowance and as Daemons are effectively selected outside of the allowance, they won't count except for contesting.

I'm not a 100% on this, but I do remember checking to see if it would work.

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2008, 08:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extartius
I don't think lesser daemons can capture objectives. The rules state that it has to be from your troops allowance and as Daemons are effectively selected outside of the allowance, they won't count except for contesting.

I'm not a 100% on this, but I do remember checking to see if it would work.
Page 90 in the BRB states nothing of the sort.

Page 102 in the Chaos book says that they are troops choices that do not take any of your slots for FoC.

Because of 5th Ed they are going to Rock.

Because I can use my icon bearers and summon them hopefully enough to get them into assault range, because they can assault after they have been summoned.
Old 15 Jul 2008, 09:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Yeah, I brought that up myself...I was told since they "otherwise count as Troops" that they could claim them.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Jul 2008, 19:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

i was always going to get some, just for the fluff and for the sake of it, but now it sounds like they actually could be real handy. this is good to know, it also gives an advantage in large scale objective games.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 05:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes as others have said, lesser daemons can claim objectives, but I don't think that will be there best use, IMHO using them as assaulters (with oh say raptors or termies) and leave your troopers holding ground, and if needed, your dameons can take an objective.
adreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 17:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well with stats like a marine only being able to dish out a torrent of attacks the lesser daemons could be useful as:
Light vehicle destroyers (they hit the rear armour, yes whilst av11+ will no doubted survive, AV 10 say tau piranhas, rhinos etc will no doubted be shaken/ destroyed.)

Meatshielders - You see even a small unit of daemons have the random durability to withstand heavy/ non dakka unit light fire.
For example a Khornate unit has an icon and is going to inevitably be shot at next turn, the unit could (gods permitting) summon the shields accordingly to protect your units.

Spearhead - Classic, summon and assault in the same turn!
In 5Th ed this idea however can be crippled by true LOS and the run rule.

But the ever present problem with the warpies is that they are, well, weak.
As in drop a unit of CSM from reserve and so long as the reserves can shoot they are as effective as the daemons.

So I think despite what role the lesser daemons universally take (assault support) they actually don't fit it well at all! ;D

Lastly there is one thing you should maybe consider to use lesser daemons for in 5Th again.
SPEED!

Yes the Daemons are tactically speedy in the field, they can suprise take objectives (since while your opponent will be aware of your icons they will not know which one will summon which squad of daemons) and even bog down other squads which are attempting to press into assault.

At the end of the day I think daemons should be taken in squads of 6+ to steal objectives.

In the meta, however if they lose the ability to take objectives by not counting as troops I will thoroughly consider them garbage. Useless garbage.

Well they can be chaos daemons for your chaos daemons army too I'spose :P

Quote from Bubgum: ... BrassDaemon isn't that stupid
Oh I assure you Bubgum I am

My instinct of selr-preservastion say: RUN! RUN AWAY!.... But I think my curiosity will win... AGAIn- quote Cmdrbonesaw
Brassdeamon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Jul 2008, 19:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One big difference between CSM and lesser demons.

Marines can be shot at as of turn 1. Demons cannot. that right there is a huge advantage as you limit the amount of damage your opponent will be able to do to your demons before they hit the field. Also, with the abundance of cover saves in 5th edition demons might fair better (why not drop them behind your squad so the squad can shield the demons for a turn?) I'm interested to see how the lesser demons will effect play.
Old 19 Jul 2008, 14:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
One big difference between CSM and lesser demons.

Marines can be shot at as of turn 1. Demons cannot. that right there is a huge advantage as you limit the amount of damage your opponent will be able to do to your demons before they hit the field.
Well, yes but that's an inherently double-edged sword. Your marines are presumably not just standing around getting shot, but shooting enemies dead as well.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote