Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Just had a brillient idea for the use of rhinos in 5th.
Old 07 Jul 2008, 00:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Just had a brillient idea for the use of rhinos in 5th.

If your army has more than one or two combat elements that you would like to have consolidate into another unit but can't due to the new rules, generally they would just end their combat and get shot to bits.

Well I think I found a great use or Rhinos. After the rhino is empty drive it alongside you combat unit(s) and separate your enemies squads one by one by running the rhino in between two squads. I you can't then simply tank shock them so they have to get out of the way in the other direction. Then use your combat unit to assault the now separated squad.

This also helps in preventing rally if they fall back, preventing a fall back at all (if they cant go anywhere) and now heres the good part. After your combat is over, your unit can't consolidate into the next unit anyway (even if it could rules wise), BUT you opponents units cant shoot your combat squad because there is a rhino or three in the way.

This partially helps with the problem of getting shot to bits after a consolidation.
Old 07 Jul 2008, 01:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher
Default Re: Just had a brillient for the use of rhinos in 5th.

I see a fatal flaw with this ap 1 weapons will cuase the rhino to explose killing the troops . Which is not good. seriously pentrating 5 is not good. I would say use smoke launchers the turn you do this to make it salvagable but then your rhino might not make it to combat .
Old 07 Jul 2008, 01:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yes, but an exploding rhino is a good thing when it hits them as well. But with 5th the hit is strength 3, meaning you need 5's to wound marines.

Most armies i plan on using this against are majority T3 (tau, eldar, IG, some orks)
Old 07 Jul 2008, 01:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

yes but it is a s3 auto hit that wounds on a 5 Not if the enemy moves his troop out of the way. It depends on if the enemy is in splash range. Yep so one in 9 Marines would die in the explosion so it not a lot. But just don't get too many in a n explosion area. It is also vulnerable to shooty deepstrikers so use this with caution.
Old 07 Jul 2008, 01:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

This is the kind of thing I've always used Rhinos for. I call it "Stupid Rhino Tricks", because it generally invloves taking stupid risks to turn 50 points of rolling death-trap into the most vexing model on the table for your opponent.

I use them for all types of things. When I need to take an objective, for example, after the Rhino dumps it's squad off nearby, the Rhino takes up position in front of any type of heavy weapons my opponent has to protect the squad from taking too much fire. On the first turn of the game I start all my Rhinos out touching front to back in a wall in front of my troops, so that my valuable and fragil infantry don't get shot to pieces right away. Likewise, if I need to stop an impending charge, tank-shocking a unit to force them backwards and then turning so that my side faces them forces them to take a turn longer to get to me than they would have otherwise.

Rhinos are great, they're mobile walls. The possibilities are endless with them, and I've pissed more than a few people off with clever application of 'Stupid Rhino Tricks'.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 01:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Wu
yes but it is a s3 auto hit that wounds on a 5 Not if the enemy moves his troop out of the way. It depends on if the enemy is in splash range. Yep so one in 9 Marines would die in the explosion so it not a lot. But just don't get too many in a n explosion area. It is also vulnerable to shooty deepstrikers so use this with caution.
Well if you tank shocked a unit, they have to move out of its way and will only go 1" away from the vehicle.

Put simply, to avoid your exploding tank example, dont do it near ap 1 weapons, or go further away from your own squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffl
This is the kind of thing I've always used Rhinos for. I call it "Stupid Rhino Tricks", because it generally invloves taking stupid risks to turn 50 points of rolling death-trap into the most vexing model on the table for your opponent.

I use them for all types of things. When I need to take an objective, for example, after the Rhino dumps it's squad off nearby, the Rhino takes up position in front of any type of heavy weapons my opponent has to protect the squad from taking too much fire. On the first turn of the game I start all my Rhinos out touching front to back in a wall in front of my troops, so that my valuable and fragil infantry don't get shot to pieces right away. Likewise, if I need to stop an impending charge, tank-shocking a unit to force them backwards and then turning so that my side faces them forces them to take a turn longer to get to me than they would have otherwise.

Rhinos are great, they're mobile walls. The possibilities are endless with them, and I've pissed more than a few people off with clever application of 'Stupid Rhino Tricks'.
Well in 4th ed once i had disembarked i cause all kinds of mayhem with them.

or 5th, that mayhem only gets better.