Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

greater Daemon Problems
Old 06 Jul 2008, 09:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default greater Daemon Problems

Hey All. Just need some help with the decsion on what to use for my greater daemon any ideas??? thanks
judas_mesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2008, 09:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: greater Daemon Problems

Well, judging by your profile I would recommend using the Keeper of Secrets model. It would fit best in a Slaanesh based Chaos Space Marines army. Other than that I'm not sure what advice I can give. The models you use are entirely up to you but Games Workshop has a variety that work best for building an army dedicated to a specific Chaos God.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2008, 09:46   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

sorry should have been more clear my bad its not for my slaanesh its for my undivided army just not a big fan of the gw greater daemons
Old 06 Jul 2008, 11:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I know some people use the Belakor model from fantasy, but to be honest it looks more like a daemon prince to me. Then you always have the Balrog from lord of the rings. Its a beautiful model, so that one shouldn't be a problem. You could also look through other game producers (privateer press, reaper etc...), you won't be able to use them in a gw tournament, but if all you're doing is playing with friends that shouldn't be a problem.

Or you could do what I did. I took a 5th edition metal giant, used greenstuff and bits from varios places and use him as a counts as. Truly imagination is your only limit (and cost, and talent, and time...)
Old 06 Jul 2008, 11:23   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

cheers i was think on using on of the privateer press trolls but yer i wasn't sure about tournaments now i no thanks
Old 06 Jul 2008, 16:43   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Haha, i was debating last night of posting a topic just like this. I don't really like the GW greater demons either, but it's tough to try and find a decent proxy and make it tournament legal. Any other game systems would not be allowed nor the Balrog because of the wacky Lord of the Rings copyrights.
Old 06 Jul 2008, 17:25   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

does any one know how much of a model has to be gw to be legal in a tourny??? Because the privateer press dire troll is very hard to pass up lol
Old 06 Jul 2008, 21:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't believe a PP model would fly in a GW tournament. I believe the rule is at least 50% of the model has to be made of GW parts. Depending on the tournament, people may be more lenient. Scratchbuilding is another option that, as far as I know, is legal for tournies.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Jul 2008, 01:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The problem is that while the model must be at least half games workshop, the other half can't be from another model maker (again depending on tourney). Thats why I used the old giant model. It's games workshop, as are all the bits on it that I didn't sculpt, and anything you can't just buy from gw, I greenstuffed.

If you aren't sure then call up the organizers of any tourney you want to go to. The worst they can do is say no, you can't use a non games workshop model. In some of the looser ones like maybe your lgs they might let it fly.
Old 08 Jul 2008, 14:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I used the Belakor model from WH - without the wings. I used the wings for my Nurgle Daemon Prince conversion. Personally I think the smaller Belakor model makes sense in view of the less powerful generic Daemon Princes now available in the CSM Codex.
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote