Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Havocs help!!!
Old 23 Jun 2008, 10:28   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Chaos Havocs help!!!

I have like 250pts left to spend on my chaos boys and was thinking of putting in two havoc sqauds:

Both of them have this setup:
x5 marines
x2 Autocannons

And yes I know I'll have some points left over I'll spend them elsewhere.

I was thinking if five man sqauds are the go or should i reconstruct the havocs.
Some advice would be most appreciated.

Kharvol
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 01:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Chaos Havocs help!!!

While im not a big fan of the autocannon any after we lost our precious tank hunters so we cant get lucky and kill land raiders with them anymore but they are good it depends what kind of armys you play against regularly ie: horde armys, meq armys, tau/eldar/DE armys :P. So in 2 out of the three choices there auto cannons are good(meqs and tau/eldars) but if you mainly face hordes take heavy bolters instead( i think you might even be able to sqeeze three in instead of 2 depending how many extra points you have). If all else fails you can be cool and go with oblits 8).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 01:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The autocannons are great because of their two shots, which lessens the chance of an unlucky miss. i would recommend throwing in a few lascannons however, the extra tank stopping power isn't something you want to be missing.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 05:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well for anti tank I have 5 meltaguns.
2 in a bike sqaud.
2 in a Rhino Mounted Plague marine Squad
1 in a terminator sqaud

Me personally I think thats enough to take out any heavy armour I might come across.

If I were to take the autocannon setup idea I would have 20pts left.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 05:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

While melta-guns are a good anti-tank weapon i would prefer a lascannon over them for range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 09:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Skeith

My havocs are set for a multi role.
i have 5 together
x1 with lascannon
x1 with missile luancher (always krak)
x1 multi-melta
x2 Heavy Bolters

This means i don't have to constantly fiddle with ranges as my max is 48" and my min range is 24" just tohit my target. when i say min i mean that is the closest i would like my enemies so i can blow them to the warp.

in one of my past games this set up almost wiped out an entire squad of 12 marines only 2 rouns of shooting. in the assualt they went on to wipe them out in combat.
Skeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 10:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I thought havoc's can only have four heavy weapons :-\. Anyway im not a real fan of multi weapon havocs or devastators for that matter (not the whole multi role choice its just not my style). I find they dont have much luck killing what ever they fire at (I mean against marines it can be good but against everything else... well nah). When I have say a Las, Multi Melta, or rocket launcher then they will be exclusively for tank hunting and I tend to field atleast two of each (say 2 lascannons and 2 missile launcher combo).
Old 24 Jun 2008, 14:39   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm just pointing out that the lascannon provides you with some ranged anti-tank weaponry. There is no guarantee that your meltagun troops can get close enough to deal with enemy armor before dying, while the lascannon has the potential to drop tanks as of turn 1. Also, melta guns are good on the offensive, but if you have a Black Templar army rushing you with 4 rhinos, a razorback, and a land raider your melta guns won't be as useful as some big juicy ranged weapons that have a few turns to respond to the threat without moving.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 15:04   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to ether

The one thing that I find when playing my friends, is that they make some type of squad meant specifically for gunning out my Havocs. Is it better then to keep them in cover like I do, and just tank snipe from above or to put them into a rhino?

In response to the question about what you should field in the squad. I think that the most versatile thing, would have 2x Missile Launchers and 2x Heavy Bolters. I have played two Guard armies within my group of friends, and I can say that the Missiles are definately capable of taking out some tanks, although if your Melta squads take down the tanks before hand, then you can use the Frag Missiles (small template) and Heavy Bolter down some squads in horde armies very nicely. I think that this option allows for a nice overall use of ranged anti-tank/horde army control.

By the way, if you're facing a bunch of Sentinels and virtually no other armor, 4x Heavy Bolters do a ton of damage. I killed a squad of 3 with my Havocs about a year ago.
ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 17:28   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I had tremendous success with an eight CSM squad w/ 2x Lascannons and 2x Missile Launchers, the havocs paid for themesleves at least three times over in three games in a row for me.