Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Forging of Gloriam VII: Part one: Imperial guard vs. Chaos
Old 22 Jun 2008, 06:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default The Forging of Gloriam VII: Part one: Imperial guard vs. Chaos

The Chapter Master walked among his men.

He had just received a call for help from the imperial world of Zenith IV, a small mining world near the Eye of Terror.

"Men, Listen up! We are shipping out to respond to an emergency call near the Eye. Most of you have yet to fight near the Eye, and have heard stories of horrible terrifying creatures that haunt the area. Well, have no fear men... I assure you that those stories are true!

There was no telling how the Master felt about this mission, his face showing not a single emotion. His voice resounded through the room, inspiring his men to fight and make the Holy Emperor proud.

"Because of Zenith's close proximity to the Eye of Terror, we believe that they are under attack from our ancient enemies, the forces of Chaos."

Sudddenly, there was an expression of pure hatred on every marines' face, and the desire to cleanse this evil was obvious.

"All right, men! Get your gear and move to the Thunderhawks. Five minutes!"

Several hours later:

"Men, we are landing on Zenith IV in an hour, so prepare for battle and.."

The Chapter Master was interrupted by one of the ship's crew.

"Sir!"

"What? How dare you interrupt me while I am speaking to my men!"

"But sir..."

"What is it?"

"You might want to come and take a look at this."

Annoyed but curious, the Master followed the crewmember to the observation cockpit, and as he looked through the massive telescope, he saw that battle was raging on Zenith IV, with the Imperial guard trying desperately to hold the chaos forces out of their Capital city.

"Damn, and we are still to far away to deploy the droppods!"

The Chapter Master turned back to bring the news to his men, he looked back one more time, staring at the planet, he whispered...

"Good luck, and may the Emperor be with you, we are on our way."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

THIS BATREP HAS ALSO BEEN POSTED ON THE IMPERIAL GUARD FORUM

I recently witnessed a small game of Imperial guard versus Chaos space marines, and I have been wanting to start posting battle reports of my own battles on Tauonline for a long time, and my fluff-ideas kept getting better and better, so I decided to use this battle as an intro for my story. It was a combat patrol match of 400 points per side, using the rules as presented in the 4th edition rulebook. Because the imperial guard are obviously the good guys (sorry chaos players...) I will be referring to the Chaos player as the enemy or the opponent.

Forces

If I remember correctly, the imperial guard player brought:

Armored Fist Squad Alpha
-Heavy Bolter
-Chimera with Extra armor, Pintel-mounted Stubber
Armored Fist Squad Beta
-Heavy Bolter
-Chimera with Extra armor, Pintel-mounted Stubber
Sentinel with Lascannon

His opponent brought a nice force of his own:

6 Chaos marines with Plasma Gun
6 Raptors with 2 Meltaguns
5 Havocs with 3 Heavy bolters and a Missile Launcher.

Deployment

The Imperial guard started their deployment by placing Squad Alpha in the middle with both Chimeras next to it, as far forward as possible. Second, He placed his Sentinel on the Western side, and Squad Beta went in the woods on the Eastern side, without their Chimera.

The Havocs went in the woods in the center of the enemy deployment zone, while the Raptors started in some cover to the East, and the Chaos space marines in cover to the West.

The Imperial player won the roll and decided to take the first turn.

Imperial Guard: Turn 1

Almost no movement occured, and the Imperial player was eager to unload some firepower on his opponent. In the Shooting phase, Both Chimeras, the Sentinel and Armoured fist squad Beta opened up on the Havocs. Firing 22 shots, they caused 10 wounds. Only one Havoc died due to some very nice saving throws.

Chaos: Turn 1

The Raptors jumped forwards and came into assault range for their next turn. The Havocs stayed put, and the chaos marine squad moved forward a little bit, being slowed down by rolling 1,2 for their difficult terrain test. Then, the Havocs fired at Squad Beta's Chimera, and although the heavy bolters didn't harm it, the Missile launcher was able to cause a glancing hit on the transport, and the Chaos player managed to destroy it by rolling a six on the damage table.

Imperial Guard: Turn 2

Again, no movement on the Imperial side. The Chimera launched another volley on the Havocs, causing 4 wounds and killing an amazing zero enemies.
Squad Alpha decides to shoot the lone Chaos marine that was sticking out of cover, which luckily failed one of the three saves he had to make. Squad Beta shoots at the Raptors that are coming towards them, cause no casualties and prepare to be assaulted.

Chaos: Turn 2

The Raptors moved closer to Armoured Fist Squad Beta, The chaos marine squad moves further through the trees, and the Havoc squad remained in it's position, unwilling to sacrifice their shooting abilities.

In the shooting phase, the Havocs try to destroy the second chimera, but unfortunately for them, their Krak missile missed.

Then, the Raptors charged into Squad Beta, easily slaughtering 5 of the terrified imperials, and the remaing soldiers manage to kill one of the Raptors before they fail their break test and flee. The Raptors consolidate but are left in the open, allowing the Imperial guard to shoot at them with everything they had...

Imperial Guard: Turn 3

...Which is exactly what they did. 8 Lasgun shots, 9 shots from the Chimera and one from the Lascannon on the Sentinel later, absolutely no casualties were caused.

Chaos: Turn 3

The Raptors jump into charge range of Armoured Fist squad Alpha, while the Chaos marines come within rapidfiring range of the Sentinel, which is killed by bolter fire in the shooting phase, although the Plasmagunner manages to blow himself up. The Havocs had ran out of targets, because the chimera and squad Alpha had moved back a bit so they were hiding behind a forest.
The Raptors charged Armoured Fist squad Alpha and wins the combat by killing 4 imperial guard, the remaining ones break and are wiped out.

With only a Chimera left, and almost no damage to the chaos forces, the game was pretty much over, so the Chaos player offered to end the game, but the Imperial player was stubborn as a true servant of the Emperor and wanted to continue playing.

Imperial guard: Turn 4

The Imperial player moved his Chimera again so that he would remain to be out of line of sight with the Havocs. Then, it unleashed another nine shots at the Raptors, which were, as usual, saved.

Chaos: Turn 4

The Raptors fire their meltaguns at the Chimera and then charge it with their krak grenades, but the Chimera remains unharmed.

Imperial guard: Turn 5

At this point, the Imperial player wanted to tank shock the Raptors, but then he remembered that an automatic-hitting meltagun wasn't what he needed, so he just fired at them, and actually managed to kill one.

Chaos: Turn 5

The Raptors jump behind the Chimera, and 2 Meltaguns later, it blows up rolling a six for the blast radius, the Chimera get's it's revenge by killing all four remaining Raptors, which ended the game in a hilarious way.

Aftermath

This was quite a fun match to watch, although I can imagine how frustrating it must have been for the Imperial guard player. This was easily made up for by the exploding chimera though, and I think things like these are what makes the game worth playing. It just makes people laugh and let's you realise that it's still a game were you're supposed to have fun. The Raptors did well in this game, but killing imperial guard isn't so hard when you are a heavily trained marine in thick armour with chainswords and the like, so I think the Chimera deserves the man of the match award here.

Man of the Match: The guy that put so much fuel in that Chimera!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Imperial guard had fallen back into the Capital city, and and had been able to shut the Chaos forces out, for now.

Commisar Lythe was reorganising his troops, when some of the men started cheering. Surprised, Lythe saw them staring at the sky, and when he did the same, he realised the cause of their joy. Merely seconds later, Drop Pods landed in their middle, and a full company of Space Marines disembarked. They formed up with the speed and style that only the Astartes are capable of, and then the Chapter Master himself stepped forward and greeted Commisar Lythe.

"Goodday Commisar."

Lythe nodded and replied

"It's good to have you and you men here, sir."

"I see you were able to keep the enemy out of your Capital. Are there any other remaining forces on the planet?"

"Lord Kalthir was seperated with a small group of men when we were falling back sir, and we haven't had any time yet to go and find him. The Capital had to be defended. We have been trying to reach him over the Vox, but communications have been cut off. I fear the worst, sir."

"Do not worry, once we get the cities defences in order, I will dispatch a team to find him."

Gratefull, he replied

"Thank you sir. You are most kind."

"It is merely our duty, now be gone."
kildash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 00:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: The Forging of Gloriam VII: Part one: Imperial guard vs. Chaos

Good job on the battle report and fluff and also welcome to TO ;D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2008, 19:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

thanks, I kinda had a question though... the teams won't always be from the same army, so is there a main battle report forum somewhere...
Old 24 Jun 2008, 01:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Main battle report forum as in battle reports from just chaos vs. X or like X-X unfortunately there is neither but all of the really good ones are on the main site(not forums section) so id check those out. ;D
Quote:
Quote:
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 07:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

yes, i thought about that, but I can't place 'em there... and if I post mine here, they will only be read by chaos players... and the next one is space marines vs eldar, so those are in 2completely seperate forums, which means nobody will be able to follow the storyline...
Old 24 Jun 2008, 08:24   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Actually, you should start a battle report for your own army and from your own battle and post in the revelant army board like say:

Me. Imperial Guard player. I recently played my Imperial Guard against Plague Marines (Chaos). I post it up in the Imperial Guard's Battle Report Child Board. Do I post it up in the Chaos Board? No. Because first; the fluff is mainly about my regiment and the Plague Marine are my opponenets. Often times; you only have enough fluff talent for your own army. Stick with your side of the battle.

Secondly, it's for your own viewing pleasure and other players of the army. E.g. I play Imperial Guard. I post my fluff battle report in the Imperial Guard Child Board for the other Imperial Guard players to see and enjoy. If I post it put in the other army boards, I may not get the same, rousing response as I did from the IG Board and it's not revelant to the board itself so the Mod might see fit to move it to the revelant board.

Thirdly, the Mods might see fit to award you karma if the battle report is good. But they can only give if you put it up in that army board. E.g. I post my battle report at the IG board. It's so good that the Mod will award me karma. If I put it in the other army board, I will not get karma even if my opponent is of that army.

So, just post one battle report for that one particular up in one Battle Report Child Board. Hope this helps.

P.S.: This should be in the Chaos Army Battle Report Child Board.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jun 2008, 18:28   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Yes, I thought about doing that, some people will get confused because they miss pieces of the storyline, and that's not what we want now, is it? Okay, the second part off the storyline is up, and to make it easier, I'm posting all following ones in the general forum... I'd also appreciate it if a mod could move it over there. Ow, and although I guess some karma would be nice, I'm happy enough when people comment my reports, so I know if it's good, or if I should change anything.
Old 26 Jun 2008, 18:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
So, just post one battle report for that one particular up in one Battle Report Child Board. Hope this helps.
Except that we dont have a battle report child board just a army list one :'(. ah well we can only hope.
Quote:
Quote:
It's true!
Old 26 Jun 2008, 20:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Kildash, +1 Karma for the report. However, in the future if the report is the same in other boards just post it in one place. Usually this is done in the board of the army you play. Since you weren't playing in this, either works fine and it's not a big deal to have the 2 posts in separate boards this time, but in the future just pick one or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenai
If I put it in the other army board, I will not get karma even if my opponent is of that army.

This is not always the case. My roommate and I posted our reports in separate boards in which we each wrote the story from the side of our army at the beginning and end of the battle. We linked each other's reports so people could read both sides of the battle. We both received karma in that case. However, if it's the same exact report, you're right, you won't be issued karma.

We currently don't have a child board for battle reports and I don't plan on that changing any time soon. It's another situation of there not being enough activity to warrant one. We've had 6 battle reports in the last three months. So I can't really justify a board dedicated to them when the activity is that low. Having them in the main board works fine. Just make sure and label them [Bat Rep] and they should stand out enough.

Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jun 2008, 23:29   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Oh......OOOHHH!!!! The Chaos Board don't have one?!@ Figures... : I thought every board has one except the Inquisition and Minor Race.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote