Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[Battlereport] My first bloodbath. WE vs. DG, 1000 points. With pictures!
Old 09 Jun 2008, 12:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default [Battlereport] My first bloodbath. WE vs. DG, 1000 points. With pictures!

Today my chainswords were baptised in blood for the first time. And bloody it was. So I decided to honor the occation by making an illustrated battle report. Please note that all pictures are aproximate and not to scale, If models seem to die even though they're outside of Kill Zones it's because the pictures of them are too big, not because I don't know the rules, and so forth.

Allright, so my opponent was a good friend of mine and pretty much the only person I play against these days, who plays Imperial Guards and Death Guard. Normally when I play my Tau our results tend to be draws or minor victories in my favour with the occational major victory, but honestly we're pretty evenly matched, I think. I think his lists are just a tad poorly equipped to deal with my particular lists at times.

Now, the game stand between Death Guard and the World Eaters his list is made up of;

Typhus
Winged Deamon Prince w/ Mark of Nurgle and the Warp Time psychic power
8 Plaugemarines, 2 Plasmaguns, Icon, Champion w/ Power Fist
8 Plaugemarines, 2 Plasmaguns, Icon, Champion w/ Power Fist
-Both mounted in rhinos with Extra armour

My list was:
Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne, Deamon Weapon, Jump Pack
Winged Deamon Prince w/ Mark of Khorne
8 Berzerkers, Skull Champion w/ Power Fist & Melta Bombs
8 Berzerkers, Skull Champion w/ Power Weapon & Melta Bombs
7 Berzerkers, Skull Champion w/ Power Weapon & Melta Bombs
- All mounted in Rhinos without upgrades

Allright, let's get this started; The Mission is Take and Hold. We are to take and hold the little altar in the middle.

Deployment was pretty easy, the only real thing that gave me pause was wether or not I should put my Lord in the Rhino. I opted not to. The squad with the Powerfist is in the middle Rhino, the seven-man squad is in the right one.
He opted to Deepstrike Typhus, and hid his DeamonPrince in a house. He got to choose who would start, and said that I should.

Here I zoom up with just about everything, pops smoke and unload their precious cargo. My opponent accuses me of "paying Tau" with my World Eaters. He might have a point.
I had to take a Dangerous Terrain test to drive the Rhino up on the Altar, but I rolled a '2'. Phew. The Deamon Prince and the Lord play it defensivly. I leave a small gap to one of my squads between the middle and right Rhino as a bait for the Deamon Prince.

He moves up to fire his Special Weapons from his Top Hatch, but it has no effect. The Deamon Prince doesn't move a muscle.

Allright, here things start getting messy. The Rhino to the left drives up and blocks a side hatch on the leftmost Death Guard rhino, and a powerweapon-wielding Berzerker squad charges the Rhino head on and kill it. Death guards are entangled. The plan was to also assault the right tank and hopefully kill or stun it, leaving me protected, but I forgot to declare that I was doing so and the guy got a bit grumpy over the whole affair. My Deamon-Prince and Chaos Lord are ready to counter-charge his Deamon Prince wherever he may strike.

As I suspected, the Deamon Prince struck my Powerweapon-wielding berzerkers and kills four. Ouch. The surviving Death Guard Rhino backs up and unloads his Plauge marines who proceed in blasting my Rhino in the middle, foring me to move through Difficult terrain on what would otherwise be an easy assault.

My Deamon Prince charges his deamon prince and my Chaos Lord charge his melta-toting Plauge Marines.M My fist-wielding Berzerkers fail to roll a 4 on their Difficult Terrain test and fails their charge. The rightmost squad gets into position. My Lord manages to get a total of 15(!) attacks, but only kills two(!) marines and is fisted to death. 160 points for that?! The Deamon Princes punch on each other a bit.

Being un-entangled the Plasma squad charges at my Daemon Prince. The other Death Guard squad moves towards my rightmost squad, and look who popped in. Typhus! Who Winds Of Chaos me! I hate bloody Typhus. The rest of the squad dakkas a bit, and some Berzerkers bite the dust- He thinks, falsely, that his Power fist-plaugemarines can take out my Deamon Prince and tries to kill of the berzerker squad in btb. I hit with the Deamon Prince on his charging Death Guard squad. I'm sure I had a reason.

Charge time. My powerfist squad charges the squad Typhus has joined and is careful to have a whole lot of models in base contact with him, along with the Powerfist. The Power Weapon squad circles around the Plauge marines, and charge with some sucess. My rhino decides to get out of the way. Note that I at this point belived it was the only one I had left. His Prince gives mine another wound, and my prince kills a pair of Plaugemarines again, going after getting them below scoring.

Look at all those skulls! My Deamon Prince kills the remaining four Plauge Marines, but alas he bites the dust right after from being attacked by his Deamon Prince. I'm getting pretty pissed of that his Prince is better than mine in Close Combat. Typhus does a Nurgle's Rot who acctually kills one of my leftmost Berzerkers. After that he's fisted to death after failing to kill all four Berzerkers in that squad, and my Power-weapon squad manages to kill three Plauge marines. Not a whole lot of models left now. His Rhino flees too.

My now un-engaged models charge the Daemon Prince. It's three Aspiring Champions and two berzerkers against one Deamon Prince of Nurgle who's only got one wound left. I made no wounds, he killed my Power fist guy. Understandably.

His Deamonprince picks of the larger remaining squad while laughing at my puny attempts of wounding him.

Yup. There goes my last guy.

This is a bit embarassing, really, because I thought that Rhino was already a wreck for some reason. It was really, really warm. The game is over, and only the Deamon Prince and two transports are left standing. Today the blood has certainly flowed.

In the end he got 100.5 Victory points, a mere half point from a minor victory.

All in all it was a fun game. World eaters are a fun army, although Plaugemarines and Berzerkers seem to cancel each other out somewhat. I tried the "Suicide Rocket" I've seen people mention, but honestly; If it's this bad when it gets 15 attacks, why bother?

So, what do you think? Any tips for the future(and bear in mind that I'll probably play this guy more than anyone?

Brilliant Battle Report! +1 Karma - Anton.
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2008, 16:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: [Battlereport] My first bloodbath. WE vs. DG, 1000 points. With pictures!

Nice Battle Report! I really enjoyed the diagrams, very well done!

About the "Suicide Rocket" lord you employed, i think there are 2 main reasons why he didn't do his job correctly. THose things are: 1.) Bad rolls. it happens. 2.) Death guard resilience. Your lord appears to have been striking at S4, With T5 troops being the target. Combined with some bad rolls, what happened is completely understandable. Give him another shot against a different army, see how he works when you aren't hitting t5/6 across the board, i'm sure he'll work better.
Deadman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2008, 19:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: [Battlereport] My first bloodbath. WE vs. DG, 1000 points. With pictures!

Wow, this is fantastic. Very well illustrated, narrated, and everything. I should come to you if I ever need a battle Report done :P
Old 09 Jun 2008, 21:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Oh, I'd like to point out that I'm not the author of the images of the Rhinos and marines and so forth. They're from the game VASSAL. All I've done is export the sprites to Photoshop, make the terrain and place the sprites in it using layers.

So, yeah, didn't mean to steal the thunder from anybody elses work. I just always thought that the Vassal Sprites would be great for making battlereport illustrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman42

About the "Suicide Rocket" lord you employed, i think there are 2 main reasons why he didn't do his job correctly. THose things are: 1.) Bad rolls. it happens. 2.) Death guard resilience. Your lord appears to have been striking at S4, With T5 troops being the target. Combined with some bad rolls, what happened is completely understandable. Give him another shot against a different army, see how he works when you aren't hitting t5/6 across the board, i'm sure he'll work better.
Yeah, I'll probably try him out against other foes, but I'm currently looking into replacing something with a Defiler, and he's the model that currently feels the least vital.
Old 09 Jun 2008, 22:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel
Oh, I'd like to point out that I'm not the author of the images of the Rhinos and marines and so forth. They're from the game VASSAL. All I've done is export the sprites to Photoshop, make the terrain and place the sprites in it using layers.

So, yeah, didn't mean to steal the thunder from anybody elses work. I just always thought that the Vassal Sprites would be great for making battlereport illustrations.

Quote:

Yeah, I'll probably try him out against other foes, but I'm currently looking into replacing something with a Defiler, and he's the model that currently feels the least vital.
From my personal experience, The Defiler will probably not do much more than the Suicide Rocketeer. Every time I've tried a defiler, in my Nurgle aligned army, it's failed horribly, either by attracting too much fire, or by having horrible rolls before it gets killed. Mind you, Everything's luck in this game, so it's really just preference.
Deadman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jun 2008, 23:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
From my personal experience, The Defiler will probably not do much more than the Suicide Rocketeer. Every time I've tried a defiler, in my Nurgle aligned army, it's failed horribly, either by attracting too much fire, or by having horrible rolls before it gets killed. Mind you, Everything's luck in this game, so it's really just preference.
My twin Railheads in my Tau force are similar. I've had them for two years and I think I've managed to kill, in total, three of four vehicles and a Deamon Prince back when they could be instant-killed. I still bring them every game, though. Eventually my luck is bound to change.

I think the Defiler could offer me a lot that the Lord couldn't though, since my force currently has no firepower. My biggest, baddest guns are the twin-linked bolters on my Rhinos. :

And the Defiler instant-kills Plauge marines.
Old 10 Jun 2008, 01:51   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It could work, as any immediate anti-tank weaponry must be focused on destroying the incoming rhinos with their deadly payload.

Also, a really fast (bikes or raptors) or infiltrating (chosen) infantry unit would do your force well. Give you the ability to attack some of the flanks instead of getting tied up front and center with all your berserkers.
Old 16 Jun 2008, 07:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

How did you illustrated your artwork?

It is actually very good.

Did you create templet es of your armies or can you get this somewhere??
Old 18 Jun 2008, 02:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wow... never have I seen assault so focused. Why didn't you ever fire your pistols? You could do that once before charging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Serious?
Dark Ace Cypher with the power of cliffing!
[quote=TheCuriousMonke]
[b]"You must bake muffins for the Greater Good."[/
Ace cipher zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jun 2008, 18:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

On the note of the defiler in the first couple of games you play with it, it will attract a lot of fire but once people learn that they can be taken out "easily" then you strike in close combat >. The defiler has a lot of uses as mine did in a game i played yesterday killing a chimera and its squad in CC then gunning down a basilisk ;D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodiedFangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
It's like being totally wasted on drugs, only with no side effects.
eg being arrested for licking a police officer's face trying to find out if they really do taste like snozberrys
It's true!
By reading this fine print your soul is now exclusive property of Chaos Master and subsidaries, All Rights reserved >.
http://www.pkbc.net/
chaos_master is offline   Reply With Quote