Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Slaanesh daemons or Khorne?
Old 03 Jun 2008, 13:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Slaanesh daemons or Khorne?

Recently I've been back and forward with 40k, and decided to take a little look into what the new Daemons have to offer.

I don't know why but I have an obsession that if I were to choose any of the four gods it would have to be entirely one choice, so if I chose Tzeentch I would have no Nurgle, Khorne, or Slaanesh models, and just recently I've had a keen eye on Slaanesh and Khorne (more plastics) so could anyone give me any insight into either of these army choices? I would like to know the capabilities, durability, strengths and weaknesses..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~laugh
That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2008, 19:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Slaanesh daemons or Khorne?

Alright, for sheer competitive gaming I would have to say Tzeentch probably takes the cake, especially with a one God army. However, I think like you and happen to enjoy all the cheap plastics...

I'd definitely go with Khorne for this choice. The models are cooler, and easier to build from what I've heard. I'm not a big fan of Slaanesh models, but the new Khorne ones are pretty spot on (especially the juggernaut). Also, Khorne has access to Skulltaker, who is ridiculously powerful with rending currently (probably gonna get worse, however...)

Also, competitive wise Khorne has a much better chance than demonettes. They are tougher, and hit much harder in close combat (especially with the impending rending nerf). However, they aren't paticularly speedy and against horde armies your odds of winning drop drastically. Against Necrons, Marines, and Eldar, however Khorne will excel. Daemonette Embrace is a big Slaanesh player around here, and while giving me useful insight into the army hasn't had much success with an all Slaanesh demon force.
Old 03 Jun 2008, 21:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Daemonette Embrace is a big Slaanesh player around here, and while giving me useful insight into the army hasn't had much success with an all Slaanesh demon force.
That is true. The Games mechanics of the Daemon Codex is difficult as best. You are at the Mercy of the Dice roll, my biggest complaint about the codex.

In 5th regardless of what army you field, Mobility one of the keys to winning.

The Run option well help the Deep Strikers survive a bit longer as

What suffers regardless of which daemon troop choice you take is their +5/5 save.

Daemon Troops.

Khorn hits hard in Close combat but has no fleet.

Tzeench fires decently however they are not that good in close combat.

Nurge is durable, but the are slow and purposible and a low INT.

Slaanesh Daemons have fleet and are good in Close Combat, but with a toughness of 3 they are easier to wound.

The Daemon Codex is about mixing Daemons, however, others like myself like themed armies.

Just remember that 5ED is about hoard armies, troop choices, and fluid combat/movement.
Old 03 Jun 2008, 22:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah so far I'm looking more towards khorne, I still really need the codex to clarify some of my own thoughts without getting smitten.

I guess if I used slaanesh it would be a much quicker strike force but easily shot down, and if I use Khorne I would have much more resilient and powerfull units, but what really keeps my eye on slaanesh are the fiends and Masque.

Still more info would be great.

~laugh
That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2008, 00:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
I guess if I used slaanesh it would be a much quicker strike force but easily shot down, and if I use Khorne I would have much more resilient and powerfull units, but what really keeps my eye on slaanesh are the fiends and Masque.
The Masque is worth its point cost, as well as the other unique heralds.

Before you spend your money on something that you might not use later, I suggest you start proxing those units and have several test games. When you have a feeling on what you want to use then make your purchase.
Old 04 Jun 2008, 01:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Masque is very powerful, and I have heard great things about the fiends. However, both of these units are on the weaker side. They have to survive to get to combat and hope they don't get killed there. Flesh hounds are surprisingly effective in a khorne army I have found, if you're not fond of the price proxy fantasy range dire wolves.

Pick up the codex first, and have a look through. Tzeentch still has the best single God army in my opinion, especially with Changeling, The Blue Scribes, Fatweaver...
Old 04 Jun 2008, 02:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
They have to survive to get to combat and hope they don't get killed there.
With the Masque, that herald has hit and run.

Timing is one of the keys in running a Daemon army
Old 04 Jun 2008, 11:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Timing based on lucky reserves rolls... :-\

The problem with the Masque is that she's an independent character, toughness 3, and a 4+ save if I recall correctly? 2 wounds? Nothing that wouldn't be hard to take down in a turn of shooting, especially when she's stuck in the open...
Old 04 Jun 2008, 11:17   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Yaifrog

Personally, I much prefer Khorne. I'm going to start up a Khornate army soon, and I have to say I'm quite excited about it! I just love the whole idea of an army that wants to destroy anything and everything without any reason :P

And how can you resist an entire army of power weapons? BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! ;D
Yaifrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2008, 12:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I play a mixed army of both Khorne and Slaanesh. While the Greater Daemon of Slaanesh is insanely powerful in close combat, and extremely fast... so is the Blood Thirster. The heralds of Khorne are (this is of course my opinion mind you) a lot more survivable as you can give them iron hide, making their save a 3+/5++. With power weapons and furious charge, they are definitely worth the higher points over the Slaanesh based heralds.

Fiends are extremely fast, but bloodcrushers are more survivable. I had a group of 6 land directly in the middle of a black templar army (Yes ARMY... not unit ARMY) and survive the shooting and assault, only loosing one model. Can't say the fiends would be able to pull that one off.

Bloodletters only cost a couple of points more, have higher ws, st and toughness. But they have one less attack and a lower initiative. In exchange I get Furious charge and a power weapon. The daemonettes get fleet and rending... So daemonettes are faster and have a chance to auto-wound/ take down a tank, where bloodletters are more resilient and guarantee that anything wounded that doesn't have an invulnerable save doesn't get a regular one either. As for the models, the Blood Letters I would have no problem putting together enough to run 6 full 20 man squads, absolutely delightful to put together... heck I've never had fun just taking models off a sprue to build... Daemonettes weren't so delightful. The heads and the leg were not hard at all, but because the arms had to be glued to the shoulders on flat areas, that weren't easily accessible, and because the arms are so small... I have 20 of the new daemonettes, I will only ever have 20 of the plastic daemonettes... Take that however you want to.

For fast you have seekers which are essentially Daemonettes with a larger charge and an extra attack. Thats not bad actually. For Khorne you get flesh hounds that can possibly go up to 24" in a turn, but are the only Khorne unit that doesn't have power weapons. I hate to say it but I think I prefer the hounds as they have the blessing of the blood god (really hard to wound them with psychic powers), are slightly cheaper, can take Karnack, and do the one thing that a Khorne army really needs... tie up a unit while the footsloggers get there.

As far as heavies go you basically get the same choice for both Lords. Just different choices as to what lord specific powers they can have for the daemon princes.

I won't be going into detail about the different powers, as each God has some very nasty ones. I will however note that Pure armies can win (just read any of 40kenthusiasts tourney reports on dakka), but are extremely hard to do so with. Where I to have to go with a solitary god, I would have to go with the Khorne list. Only real weakness is skimmers, which are getting nerfed in 5th.

Good advice Howloutloud. + 1 Karma. - Anton.