Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Lesser daemons-usefull or worthless? (chaos marines)
Old 28 May 2008, 18:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to kael8973
Default Lesser daemons-usefull or worthless? (chaos marines)

well, i looked through all the important topics but apparantely no one has posted any tactica regarding the use of lesser daemons. So i thought i'd ask you guys.

How do u feel about the use of lesser daemos? Are they usefull or a waste of points? what size should the unit be for them to be affective?

-Autarch Kaelmor
Old 28 May 2008, 19:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Lesser daemons-usefull or worthless? (chaos marines)

Worth to the less. A complete waste of points, in my opinion.

If you want an effective and fun close combat unit, go for Possessed instead, but any unit designated for CC and only CC isn't going to be very consistent. Lesser Daemons also aren't great for their statline - costing 2 points less than a Chaos Space Marine while most of their stats are much worse. Lack of a gun, worse save, and no chance to take marks? Sure, they deepstrike and have an extra attack, but it's not worth it.
Old 28 May 2008, 20:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Er... their usefulness has been limitted in the most recent codex? They just really aren't so great. Some of the new models are nice, but stats wise they are ill represented. However, sometimes a unit of them chilling in reserves can be useful when you feel like bolstering one a certain combat, or dropping the demons into your enemy's line without footslogging them.

Might be a unit I take in a mech-ish army, to get more bodies without buying another rhino. Otherwise the only justifiable use for them is fluff/models.
Old 28 May 2008, 20:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

surely the fact that they don't take up a slot is quite handy, especially in infantry based armies?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2008, 22:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Chaos Space Marines come standard with a CC weapon and bolt pistol so they always have 2 attacks which makes lesser daemons even more redundant. Fearless and the Inv. save is nice but the 2 point difference between them and a CSM just isn't worth it in my opinion.
Old 29 May 2008, 01:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to kael8973

hmmm...so none of you feel that lesser daemons are usefull at all? not even as shock troops in large squad sizes? (8-10)

i figured teleporting a unit of rabid daemons into the midst of an enemy force would be a great tactic. they may not kill alot, but they will suprize your enemy and throw them off guard. atleast thats what i figured

i saw them as more of a distraction/harasment unit rather then killing machines. but ive never play tested it so my opinion really means nothing :P
Old 29 May 2008, 05:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I haven't had a chance to use them yet but I plan to try a daemon bomb list with my Death Guard.

I personally think that they can be used to good effect by disrupting the enemy as you stated, however, if you want a reliable summoning you would need an icon close the the enemy already which might not always be easy.

I think they could cause utter havoc against armies like IG. Tying up heavy weapons teams, infantry, etc., even if temporarily, could turn a game in your favor. You could literally by enough daemons to tie up every squad in the army and for the roughly the same cost as an infantry squad for a 5 man lesser daemon squad.

Anyway, regardless of effectiveness I just think it would be cool as hell to drop 40 daemons and a greater daemon in enemy lines and watch the madness ensue.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 07:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i think they are the defenition of under-rated (well, after stormtroopers maybe :P)

try infiltrating some chosen (at least 2 squads) near the enemy when you have a massive squad of lesser daemons in reserve - they will either arrive and charge with the chosen, or arrive and soak up fire.

they are not that bad in assault - essentially a space marine scout with a 5+inv and no armour if memory serves. they are not easy critters for most armies to bring down - especially if you present juicier targets.

i'd say they are well worth it in general. it just depends on your playstyle.
Old 29 May 2008, 11:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think that worthless is a bit harsh. I'm not a big fan of them as generally there are far better things that you could spend the points on. The only use I really see for them is using them against shooty army's that don't like combat. Against these type of lists you can get them into combat fairly quickly (although you will need an icon on a fast unit) and start blocking the line of sight to your other units. If you plan on doing something like this I would advise taking squads of at least 10 models as even poor troops can do a fair bit of damage to daemons if they have the numbers (someone tried this on my IG with a unit of 8, I just charged 2 infantry squads into the fray and bludgeoned them to death with 20+ lasguns in short order).
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2008, 19:18   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I simply said there could be better possibilities. I'm starting a demon army here, of course I support my little Warp spawns! It just depends on execution. As Cadaver pointed out, throwing a bunch of minimum sized units in and infiltrating two units of chosen pops up 4+ units that your enemy has to deal with... shoot at them? Charge them? Ignore them? It will definitely give you an extra bonus. However, while I think demons make great surprise/disruption units I wouldn't bet the game on them. Their stats are okay, but just not that great...