Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Deamon Army Deployment Question
Old 24 May 2008, 13:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Deamon Army Deployment Question

Not sure where this goes since they don;t have a board yet so here I go:

Can someone explain how the new Deamon army's deployment works?
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2008, 13:39   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Deamon Army Deployment Question

well, in the loosest possible terms we can tell you roughly how it works, obviously for IP rerason we cant exactly copy out the deployment rules for you.

Heres a quote form 40kenthusiast in this post http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=63634.0 on how it works.
Daemonic assault. No matter the mission, the entire Daemon army starts in reserve. Prior to the first turn the Daemon player divides his army into two halves, as close to equal size, in terms of number of units, as possible and selects one of those halves.
Then he "prays to the Dark Gods", by throwing a dice. On a 3+ the half he selected Deep Strikes on the first round and the other half deep strikes in over the course of the game. On a 1 or 2 the half he didn't want deep strikes in on the first round, while the primary trickles in as reserves.

As far as a board goes we're still using the chaos board for it so go there and have a quick look over the first 2-3 pages theres a good number of post on the new demon codex there
atherus shadowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 14:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If I may just add a little bit which I thought might be what the OP wanted to know about.

The way I read it, in a tournament situation the daemon player gets to see his opponents army AND his deployment before having to split his army into halves. Though if you consider the need for the army halves to be as close to equal as possible, the decision for the split will probably have been done before the game.

just thought that might be useful as that bit tripped me up for a bit as well.
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2008, 14:47   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

In point of fact, if you win the roll to make them go first you don't have to split your army till after their first turn. I believe splitting is something you do at the start of the Daemon player's first turn.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 18:44   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to ether

I understand what units deploy and when for the Daemonic Assault rule. But I have a question as to the actual deployment. Right now, since the 5th Edition Codex isn't out, I was wondering that do the Daemons coming into the game on 1st turn scatter like any unit from reserve using Deep Strike? Or do we just have to place x-inches from an enemy unit w/out scatter? And also, I am wondering what the change is in 5th to start preparing for the rule?
ether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2008, 20:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They scatter like any other Deep Strikers. It's actually pretty much the same in 5th, though if you land on the good guys you get a table instead of doom.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 22:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

For Fifth ED ;D

Just be aware that landing on difficult terrain will require a dangerous terrain roll on every model that lands on difficult terrain.
Old 27 Jun 2008, 13:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

For everyone's information - you don't have to divide your army until the first turn. So, you can wait till after deployment and see what your opponent has to decide.

This also means if your opponent goes first you can see how he moves, and then choose the half you want to come in. Makes it less of a guessing game really.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote