Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Thinking of starting Slanesh
Old 21 May 2008, 20:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Thinking of starting Slanesh

Hi everyon I'm new to the chaos board and i was thinking of starting a slaneshi army as my first 5th ed army. Any tactics concerning Slaneshi would be helpful? Does anyone have some good small point units? I don't have the codex yet but i will get it this weekand.

Thanks in advance
Zanitz

98% of the world plays World of Warcraft or any other type of MMO. If your one of the 2% that doesn't, post this into your signature
Inquisitor Zanitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 00:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Thinking of starting Slanesh

*Grumble*...

Slaaneshi demons? Or Slaaneshi Chaos Space Marines? I'd love to help, but I'm not sure which one you're looking for
Old 22 May 2008, 00:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm looking into slaneshi marines.

98% of the world plays World of Warcraft or any other type of MMO. If your one of the 2% that doesn't, post this into your signature
Old 22 May 2008, 01:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, good man! With that answered:

I have never really played nor experienced a Slaaneshi Marine force, BUT have heard wonderful things. The weird sonic weaponry is perhaps one of the strongest weapons in the entire game, as you can fire them on the move or standing still. You can outshoot almost anything like this. The best part is that your Marine stats and your high initiative give you some good CC prowess. Definitely go with them.

Also, the Lash of Submission or whatever is a psychic power for Slaaneshi sorcerers. Definitely a must have, as it allows you to screw with the enemy's formation in the best ways.
Old 22 May 2008, 01:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Noise Marines (in my opinion) are one of the best static gunline troops in 40k. You get the option of 3 shots when stationary or 2 shots on the move. Add to this the heavy hitting Blastmaster and Doomsiren and one gets a vicious shooting force.
Then there's the 5 INI so CC isn't a problem either.

A winged Slaanesh Prince can make for a nasty opponent as well. With the 'Lash of Submission' power, one can move the opponent into a more favorable position.

I've seen some great things from adding some Obliterators as well but I'm sure there's other stuff you can add that would do just as well.
The Gear Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 08:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I do run a Slaanesh Army both Chaos and Daemon.

The question is how you want this army to be? All Shootie, close assault? combination? its really up how your army is going to be.
Old 22 May 2008, 10:16   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i always field alot of noise marines with sonic weaponry and heres what i can tell you about them.

i like the sonic weaponry because they can either fire very strong on heavy, or fire allright on assault. Very flexible.

the blastmaster is extremely expensive but it eats marine likes like butter. its also allright vs hordes. and i heard blastweapons is getting better in 5th, very welcome for me.

doom siren is very powerful, you should always have one on your assault squads. best used vs marine-likes but it eats units of orcs just as well.

the lash of submission is a usefull power. IMO its best used to lash forward a heavy support unit and charge it with the DP. also good to throw back carnifexes and stuff.

everything is very flexible and works vs pretty much everything. the weakness of slaanesh is the lack of ap 2 weapons, i fight nids frequently and i tend to lose vs the large guys with 2+ save. try field some lascannons too (this can be tough since everything is so expensive!).

imo the emperors children are very balanced. cant complain on anything but cant really say something is completely cheesy. expensive models but you pretty much get what you pay for (feels a little bad though when i have 30 guys and my orc opponent has 120+).

LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 11:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think i'm gonna start with a shooty army( but wiht a assult lord) that will develop into a rhino rush army. I love the posessed models so can anyone tell me if they are practical or not. I'm runing a renegade force not nessisarily a emperor's children. The color sceme is gonna be balack armour with a gold sholder gaud trim all other metal is silver and the left should pad is a purple with one of the new washes. I said earlier i wanted a lord but can anyone tell me the advandages of taking a scorcerer over a lord?

Zanitz

Old 22 May 2008, 17:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You do get a force weapon with the sorcerer. Great for anti-character.
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2008, 19:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The Lord is marginally better in close combat, and has more CC options if you feel like kitting him out (but also making him over expensive). Sorcerers are nearly as good in close combat (+ force weapon as dave said, great for anti-character), and have access to all sorts of psychic powers that are very useful. I would recommend a sorcerer for you to begin with, as the sorcerer will do more for your army while it is shooting with his psychic powers, but when the enemy draws near he can hold his own in close combat.

The other HQ option is a demon prince, which is essentially a sorcerer AND a Lord AND a Monstrous Creature. Very powerful unit, but tends to get expensive. You could get a cheap Lord/sorcerer to start your army out, and as it expands get a Demon Prince to deal with either close combat (if you got a sorcerer) or magic (if you got a Lord).

As for Possessed, there are generally more effective units. The random ability tends to limit them, as you don't know what roll they can really fulfill in general. Like you, I enjoy the models and unless you feel like playing a super competitive army some possessed are always a fun unit to use. http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...#msg1058413845 is a great link to a Possessed article by Crisis Vyper. It tells a lot about the tactics and abilities of the new possessed, and gives you some ideas. One of them involves rhino transport, which would be useful if you eventually moved up to a Rhino rush army. Plus, if you get enough possessed boxes you can use the little wing backpacks on some basic Marines to create a very cool looking Raptor squad.