Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need Help With Defilers
Old 16 May 2008, 07:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Zenith_XS
Default Need Help With Defilers

I have recently embarked upon the path of Chaos and all its glory, as I once did many years ago. Now however, the minions of the Dark Gods have changed and I have the arduous task of deciding whether or not to take a Defiler, how many to take, and what to give them.

My first concern is that I am unsure of their role (perhaps Tzeentch has addled my mind). They seem to fulfill a ranged support role with some nasty weapons available to them such as autocannons, battlecannons and havoc launchers but their ability to fleet and take 2 deadnaught close combat weapons suggests assault. What do the Gods task these engines with?

My second concern is cost. They appear to be the most expensive Heavy choice next to a Land Raider, yet they have the armour of a Dreadnaught and pretty measly WS BS and I. Are they worth the the pacts that must be made?

I would like to field 2 Defilers in my 2000pt list but I would like the opinion of you Warlords and Sorcerers before I commit myself to buying two $80 models that may not be used at all :P.

Thanks in advance
~Zenith

~Sybaris, High Archon of the Bleeding Dragon Kabal

[br]Click here to feed me a fruit!
Zenith_XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 07:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Need Help With Defilers

Think about the vindicator or the predator variants. I would however would not make any serous investments until 5th ed is out.
Old 16 May 2008, 11:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't use Defilers, but that's more due to the rest of my list - I don't have any armour, so I'd expect a Defiler to take all the anti-tank shooting and die immediately.

On the other hand, I think they would be great in a list that uses at least 3 or 4 high priority and easily shot targets. So, using 2 Defilers is a start, and then you wanna use, say, 2 Daemon Princes, or a Daemon Prince and a Dreadnaught. I like the idea of combining 2 Defilers with 2 flying Daemon Princes.

I reckon you have to do this because, as you say, their armour is not good enough against concentrated fire. Now the enemy has to either concentrate fire and kill one of your 4 big models, or they try their luck at splitting fire. Split fire means you're Defiler is less likely to die, and instead you might just lose the battlecannon.

This is where you could make use of the two functions of the Defiler. You use the battlecannon while you can. When it gets blown off, you fleet the defiler at the enemy for close combat.

On your second point, I would say the point cost is not especially expensive. It's not only cheaper than a Landraider, it's also less expensive than most units of Havocs, and it's the same cost as two Obliterators.

Conclusion: Since you made this topic I assume you actually like the idea of Defilers. So, I'd say go for it because, if you're willing to make the rest of your list support how they work, they will certainly be effective. I wouldn't even worry much about 5th Ed changes because they aren't so expensive that they necessarily compromise the points you can spend on other things. 300 points out of 2000 isn't that much compared to many lists you'll see.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2008, 12:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I prefer the cheaper and more reliable predator, and the extra point of front armour is always good. If you do go for the defiler I would suggest giving it all ccw's to go with its battlecannon. This will help keep it cheap, make it better in combat and if your firing the BC you can't shoot with the other weapons anyway!
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2008, 15:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i dont really like defilers personally as when fighting the imperium, a squad of gk's (grey knights) can rip apart, and terminators will merely steam roll it, at range, an assualt cannon can take it out and an autocannon will just rip it apart. after long contemplation, i decided that i wouldn't get a defiler, but get a baneblade, it would be better just to get some terminators or a forgeworld dreadnought(look way cooler then the GW one). but its up to you over all
mamba21500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2008, 17:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I am building up a list which run's 2 defilers, a predater w/lascannon and HB's, 2 Rhino's, a Greater Daemon, and 2 flying DP's. Spreading out the opponents anti-tank. Under 5th ED (if the rumours are true) the defiler's are going to get even nastier when that battle cannon scatters rather than missing entirely.

-And I am painting the first Defiler now.
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Jun 2008, 20:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Chimerical has some good advice. The best way to keep your tanks alive in 40k has been to take more tanks. That generally ensures the survival on a couple of them into future turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_1972
Under 5th ED (if the rumours are true) the defiler's are going to get even nastier when that battle cannon scatters rather than missing entirely.
That's the way the Battle Cannon works now. Check out "Ordnance Weapons" in the main rulebook, page 29.

The only thing the Defiler ever uses it's BS for is if you fire the Reaper Autocannon.
Old 03 Jun 2008, 20:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_1972
Under 5th ED (if the rumours are true) the defiler's are going to get even nastier when that battle cannon scatters rather than missing entirely.

-And I am painting the first Defiler now.
The battle cannon scatters in 4th ED so long as you don't roll a hit on the scatter dice. Its 1d6 if your stationary and the highest roll from 2D6 (so max 6") if you moved! All ordnance does this.

edit- Damm Icy, you beat me to it!
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2008, 02:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Zenith_XS

After working and reworking my list and army's fluff I have decided not to take a Defiler. Don't get me wrong, I still love them! They just no longer have a place in my revised army. Maybe for apocalypse, but not now.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, it has given me alto to ponder on and playtest. Fielding defilers has been enjoyable albeit sometimes stressful (12" battlecannon scatter into nowhere two turns in a row >) and I look forwards to the future prospect of using them once more.

~Sybaris, High Archon of the Bleeding Dragon Kabal

[br]Click here to feed me a fruit!
Zenith_XS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Jun 2008, 13:55   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

The most a Battlecannon can scatter is 6", when you fire on the move you roll 2D6 and take the highest. I've made this mistake in the past and kicked myself when I realized my error.
killmaimburn is offline   Reply With Quote