Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Chaos Marines
Old 14 May 2008, 16:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Starting Chaos Marines

Hi everyone ! I'm planning on starting a Chaos Marines army, undivided, and I would like to ask some questions:

1) Should I buy the Battle force or should I buy the items seperately?

2) If I buy the battle force, could I use the berzerkers bits to try and make a lord?

3) Lastly, if I buy the models seperately, what should I buy?

4) I don't like tanks so much... should I use them or infantry are enough?

Thanks very much !

Pesmerga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 16:57   #2 (permalink)
Anton

Default Re: Starting Chaos Marines

Welcome to the Forces of Chaos board Pesmerga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesmerga
1) Should I buy the Battle force or should I buy the items seperately?
The Battleforce is a good buy, you already get 4 Troops choices (3 x 5 man CSM's squads and a Berzerker squad, or one 10 man CSM squad, one 5 man CSM squad and a Berzerker squad.) The Possessed are worth it for the cool components, and the Rhino will prove invaluable for getting your Marines into the thick of combat.

Quote:
2) If I buy the battle force, could I use the berzerkers bits to try and make a lord?
Sure, why not a combination of Possessed bits and Berzerker bits?

Quote:
3) Lastly, if I buy the models seperately, what should I buy?
You'll need to first fill in your compulsory 1 HQ and 2 Troops slots, which could be for example: 1 Chaos Sorcerer and 2 Chaos Space Marine squads. Although I personally believe the Battleforce is better value for money.

Quote:
4) I don't like tanks so much... should I use them or infantry are enough?
It's totally up to you, however I would recommend that you mount your squads in Rhino's so you can reach Rapid Fire and Assault range quicker, as the Chaos Space Marines tend to work best in mid-range to close combat fighting.
Old 14 May 2008, 17:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman

1) i would definately buy the battle force as it saves a lot of money. Even if you do not want the models inside just keep half of them and then sell the rest. This way you make money instead of wasting money buying the troops separately
2) with all the spare components and cool spikey bit you get in the box it would be an easy accomplishment
3) i wouldn't buy the models separetly but if i were you id buy the battle focre then some terminators
4)thats completly your descion and ive seen armies that work both ways
hope this helps
Old 14 May 2008, 17:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

1.With the battle force I would only buy it if you will end up paying more or the same for the models you want on their own. Otherwise, contrary to popular belief you will find it difficult to make money back on the models you don't want as eBay auctions are great for buyers who can get cheap armies, but this means the seller ends up flogging them at a fairly cheap price.

2. Most likely yes. I bought the Space marine commander box to convert my HQ as that gave me a power armour HQ with a cloak, since there is currently no non terminator armour HQ for Chaos in plastic.

3. Depends on what you want. I would advise you get the codex first, read through it thoroughly and then make a decision in what direction you want to take your army.

4. Absolutely not. I also dislike vehicles, and have managed fine. There are plenty of anti tank options open to you such as havoc's and obliterators if you don't want to use tanks, and they have the bonus of being able to thin out enemy infantry quite well after completing their primary objective.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 18:11   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thank you very much for your replies. Another question, I'm thinking of buying an obliterator. Is it good alone or should I buy about 2 or 3? Thanks again
Old 14 May 2008, 18:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

depends on the point values. If its your only source of anti tank I'd get two, but if you're going to back them up with other units one would probably be enough.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 18:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to alilamyman Send a message via MSN to alilamyman Send a message via Yahoo to alilamyman

personally I would get two squads of two, so that one squad could fire its lascannons at the enemy tanks whilst the other unit mows down the enemy elite with the likes of plasma cannons. Another adavantage of this is that the oppenent will have to split his fire if he wants to take down both squads. To back this up choice i would take a unit of havocs with 4 heavy bolters as these will tear through the enemy's infantr with ease.
Old 15 May 2008, 14:13   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm planning on starting a renegade chapter called "The Purge". They are dedicated to the god Nurgle. Can I use them as undivided not with plague marines? And can anyone tell me what type of green their armour is? (A link to a model : http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Purge) Another thing, can I use normal Chaos Marines as Plague Marines? Thanks
Old 15 May 2008, 18:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You can use normal marines if you use a slight amount of conversion e.g modeling boils from green stuff onto there armour etc.
Old 16 May 2008, 03:34   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I'm planning on starting a renegade chapter called "The Purge". They are dedicated to the god Nurgle. Can I use them as undivided not with plague marines? And can anyone tell me what type of green their armour is? (A link to a model : http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/The_Purge) Another thing, can I use normal Chaos Marines as Plague Marines? Thanks
Yes, you can use them as undivided but I would give them mark of Nurgle. You don't have to but it fits the arny theme.

The color I'm not 100% sure on but I think it's Snot Green.

I wouldn't use normal Chaos Space Marines as Plague marines without some sort of conversions to differentiate them. At the very least a different paint scheme from your standard CSMs will work but you should probably use some greenstuff on the plastics or get the plague marine models to limit confusion. However, if that just isn't convenient for you for whatever reason, you technically could use the normal CSMs but you would need to let your opponent know before hand.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote