Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Khorne or Tzeentch
Old 12 May 2008, 16:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Khorne or Tzeentch

I'm thinking about starting a chaos army for my second, but as the title says I don't really know which 1 of these 2 gods to go with. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one? Also what options are available for each 1. Any incite from experienced chaos players would be useful.

"All I know is my gut says maybe."

"Your neutralness, it's a beige alert!"

"If I die, tell my wife.... hello."
GWIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 17:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Khorne or Tzeentch

This is the reason we got to split this board, or at least make a sticky. Which Codex are you talking about dude, Chaos Space Marines or Chaos Daemons?
Old 12 May 2008, 18:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Chaos Space marines, I just want to know about what each one is like to paint and model, I've seen the information on how each army fights and just want some further detail on the modelling and specifics. (I didn't realise there were two codexes, sorry about that.)

Old 12 May 2008, 19:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Righto then, Choosing between Khorne and Tzeentch will depend very much on what play style you want to go for as they are very different I have no experience with Khorne I'm afraid, but Tzeentch I can do.

Tzeentch

So the basic troop is a rubric marine, These have an excellent invulnerable save (4+) and some of the best basic guns in the game. Slow and purposeful can be a double edged sword, as it slows you down, but it will equally mean you have a far greater range for your guns against the enemy, so you can simply slowly and purposefully walk forward spewing AP3 death.

Each Thousand son squad requires an aspiring sorcerer however and they don't come cheap, you also need to take a psychic power with them. I would strongly advise against the bolt of change. That is good on a lord, but with an aspiring sorcerer you want it to compliment the rest of the squad so doombolt, or maybe wind of chaos are good choices for the squad. I know doombolt is generally more favourable, but wind of chaos has always been a favorite for some people.

Rhino's, the jury is out on for Thousand sons, Some people consider them compulsory, others abhor them. Either way there is no right or wrong way of playing them, so if you want them then take them.

HQ's will both usually be shooty minded, as the Lord's daemon weapon is basically an inferno bolter with a random amount of shots. Sorcerers can be tooled up to a number of tasks, be it tank hunting, shock troop leader or fire support. You can see that two of those possible combinations are fire support.

Tzeentch marked units will be more survivable than most other troops out there and the Terminators are the closest we have to Rubrics, no inferno bolters, but a full 24" range and 4 up invulnerable makes them the next best thing.

Generally Raptors and bikers shouldn't be used if your going for a pure Tzeentch force as speed isn't their thing. Possessed can be used, and have extra survivability with their mark, and everything else I would consider fair gain

Good advice. +1 - Khanaris
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 19:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks that is very helpful, I've been looking into it and I've been slanting to the Tzeentch side now not completly decided though. 2 questions about the 1k sons,1) if I'm starting an army should I get a normal lord or Ahriman. 2) Stupid question but I have to ask some time how do you pronounce Tzeentch? (I think its proncounced "Zentch" but I'm just checking)

Old 12 May 2008, 19:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Tzeentch is pronounced however you want to. There is no real "official" way to pronounce it, and if ther ewas then it would be changed every few minutes/seconds so it doesn't matter. I personally pronounce it Zeench, but I have heard it as T-zeench and T-zin-t-ch.

Secondly Ahriman, (Dunno why I did it in that order, but hey)
Ahriman is quite expensive points wise and as good as he looks on paper there isn't much he can do that a properly tooled up Sorcerer can't. He can be useful, but in an army where many of your troops are over 20 points a piece then you can spend those points elsewhere. I have won games wiht him adn I have lost horribly wiht him, but in the end he is a single model in an army. i would definatley not reccomend him in a game lower than 1500 points, but that is my opinion.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 21:23   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well I won't have 1500 points for a while (probably) been reading the sticky post in this section and I'm still not entirely sure, anymore information I can get on Khorne army would be appreciated but I'll look around with the help of google, GW and Tau Online. BTW Thanks Hadhfang for the Tzeentch info

Old 12 May 2008, 23:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Depending on your wallet, to put things blatantly Khorne is cheaper. Also, the general close combat aspect of the army is pretty easy to use, rather than 1k Sons who are definitely a "presicion tool" and need some practice to excel with.
Old 13 May 2008, 17:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think after looking around I'd prefer to go to Khorne. It'll be more fun to paint and model psycho's and they also provide a larger contrast to my shooty Tau. I also like the idea of more models for less money, thanks for the info.

Old 14 May 2008, 00:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Have you considered the backstory for each as well? That's a pretty big deciding factor for some players, and it might swing things one way or another.

Tzeentch - Tzeentch is the representation of Hope in the mortal races, made manifest as a Chaos god. He is the Changer of the Ways and the most potent sorceror among all gods, daemons, and mortals. He is always scheming and constantly desires to gain power. He was at one point in time considered to be the strongest of all the Chaos gods, until the others allied against him and shattered him into thousands of pieces. From then on, Tzeentch has been obsessed with gathering every piece, manifest as magical spells, until he will one day become the strongest of all the gods again.

Khorne - Khorne is the embodiment of Wrath in mortals. His rage is infinite, and he knows no mercy nor regret. He is not, however, mad with rage, for he still possesses the ability to think clearly. Khorne Abhors magic as a weapon in and of itself, although he is not against using magic in war. His Daemons and his select Champions among mortals are granted magical blades bound with Daemonic spirits making their blows terrible and painful. The servants of Khorne constantly gather skulls and spill immense amounts of blood as offerings and praise to their dark master. To Khorne, the kill is more satisfying than the fight itself, and bloody single-mindedness is often rewarded with great power.

If that means anything to you.

Of course there's also the gameplay that needs to be thought about. Tzeentech has been adequately covered, I think, so I'll try to explain the way Khorne plays.

Berserkers make up the Troops choices in a pure Khornate army. Each of them benefits from an additional attack over their comrades, and with the Chaos Space Marine Wargear loadout, that means no less than 3 attacks per round, and 4 on the charge. There are no armies that can match this kind of efficiency per model in all of 40K. If I remember properly, Khorne Berserkers also get Furious Charge, which will set them above any other Space Marine on the charge in that they will get the first attacks off, and hit more easily. This proves to be a great defense as well, because you'll have less enemies attacking back.

Essentially a Khornate army does 2 things. In the beginning of the game they run as fast as they can to the other side of the table. In the mid- and end-game, they fight their opponents to the bloody death. You can count on anything being charged by Berserkers to die, and you can count on most things charging Berserkers to die.

Rhinos are usually taken by most Khorne players because they can speed you across the table quickly and give you mild protection from shooting, till the big guns come out and you're just riding around in a rolling death-trap. Just as fun, though.

Overall it's a pretty fun army to play, especially when you get into character and start screaming "Blood! Blood for the Blood God!" with wild abandon, drawing strange looks from everyone in the store, including prospective customers. It's not the most competitive of all armies, but there's certainly a unique element to your army that just makes it fun to play with and against that you don't get from most other armies.

So... Good luck in your decision-making.

By the way, I pronounce it "Tseench".

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote