Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

possibly going nurgle
Old 12 May 2008, 09:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas
Default possibly going nurgle

despite the pitifull number of gaurdsmen i've managed to pull together i think i might be going nurgle after i have finished the baneblade company

I'm writing some sample lists and doing a bit of mathhammer and a mainly plague marines army seems to do quite well against most things other than anything above str 7 and AP 3 or bellow. the other weaknesses seem to be power weapons (FNP up in smoke) especially when in the hands of independant charectors (usually more str - although they are universal power weapons howling banshees arent awfully effective as they only wound on 6's :P)

I've always kindav liked nurgle but didn't think i was up to painting them (dirt, plague spores and other grimy/disgusting things were never my speciality ;D) however i've been getting a lot better with green stuff recently and would like to try all the oppertunities that nurgle offers me (any gaurd conversion requires a lot more subtelty and realism. they are also a lot more relatable to) i also think that with the new washes i will be able to have a better go at using washes to grime them up a bit >

in this currently still hyperthetical nurgle army i would focus around special weapons for my anti tank and anti marine so that i could bring more infantry. most of the stuff i would want (terminators, nurgly chosen, spawn, possibly possesed) would be from the new range with the single exception of bikes. for plague marines i would have the new CSM with some GS work and a decent paint scheme they would probably look more plagued than the current plague marines!!

comments, suggestions and advice very welcome ;D
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2008, 20:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: possibly going nurgle

Well, Nurgle is a great way to go

I prefer taking lots of meltas for Nurgle, as you lack a lot of heavy firepower/anti tank power, so even three Obliterators aren't going to necessarily take care of the tank issue (and I prefer taking at least a Defiler in the other slot(s))
Another thing is, since Nurgle are so expensive, don't splurge on upgrades. Get what you need, you really have no point in getting a 250 point Lord with all these fancy things when a Termie Lord with Power Weapon and Combi-Weapon will do almost as well for 1/3 of the price. Also, get lots of Plague Marines. They're amazingly tough, and will deal with almost any problem you encounter, as they're great all around units.
Old 12 May 2008, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

You mean I made you a Nurgle sig almost a year ago and your not a follower?

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 07:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i don't know about the lord, i love independant charectors :P

i think that i might go with just typhus instead of a sorceror and a lord

the only army list i have written is a 5000 point apocalypse army and that has 12 squads of plague marines ;D

i'm planning on getting my first ten plaugies today, i'm going to use them mainly in 8 man squads so i'll make up a flamer, a meltagun and a plasma gun for every ten man squad with the other guy being iether a bolter or an aspiring champion(i'm using very few but they are so fun to make ;D) i am using the plastic models but i'm converting every man with stuff ranging from a couple of bullet holes right up to a possesed with a hole drilled straight through his head and a guy with GS/PVA soaked string guts spilling out of a huge hole in his belly

i've been writing up some ideas in a word document here they are copy and pasted (if it doesn't make sense its cause its copy&pasted);

Conversion ideas for the Nurgle guys

1. Bullet holes.
a. Drill small holes with pin vice
b. Score edges with knife
c. Possibly add mix of water effect and green/purple paint as oozing puss
d. Specific model ideas;
i. Spread weaponed guy with chest full of dry holes ‘you want some?’
ii. Possessed/chosen with bolter hole between eyes
2. Fungus/plague sores
a. Place blob of GS on area
b. Add holes
c. Score edges
d. Flatten
e. Sharpen
3. Corroded armour/more fungus
a. Superglue sand to armour and paint as rust or fungus
4. Spilling guts!!
a. Empty cavity in lower torso using pin vice and knife. Clean with files.
b. Score edges – hole was made violently!!
c. Using GS/tight string soaked in PVA add the guts. Hang slightly over the bottom of the hole. Start by pushing up into the top so that no empty space is visible then fill remaining edges, then middle and ‘spill’
d. Pain with slightly water effected green, using different shades for different strings to add realism
5. Modelling idea for Fillius
a. Assemble terminator lord with sorcerer staff arm, possibly without staff, possibly without head possibly without whole staff+ hand.
b. Add staff/staff head
c. add, headless guardsmen (ork hanging head turned upside down)
d. For head use
6. Glancing wounds
a. Take a chunk from limb/side
b. Score ‘armour line where armour meets flesh (important!! Will look amateurish and stupid without, also hard to paint)
c. Widen armour line possibly with files
d. Add bones/guts as required
e. Add ‘ooze’ as required
7. Unique model ideas;
a. Blast gone off nearby, scoring and heavy black dry brushing
b.
8. Claws/close combat weapons
a. Slits in armour, widened for non surgical appearance
b. Possibly arrange in groups of parallel for claw marks
Old 14 May 2008, 10:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default have gone nurgle >:D

I've started my nurgle force now, the first man is assembled and the second is going well.

picturres will come soon
Old 14 May 2008, 11:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

oh - really cool conversion tip here.

One of our noobs here succedded in the art of not having any bad habits.

As the longer you do something, most people can form some habits. Well they are not all bad but they may prevent you from looking at things from a different perspective.

So, This noob paints up a nurgle land raider. He figures that the best way to make it look all gross is to flock it. He was never told that flock was used for bases........

It looks friggin sweet, I will get a picture of it form him.

I am re-doing my personal Nurgle force and I have made myself two challenges.

#1 - never ever - NEVER use any black paint! Think about it and try it.

#2 to use static grass type flock in as many non base situations and never to cover a base.

picture coming soon!
Old 14 May 2008, 12:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

wicked thanks

I was just ringing a GW to ask about ways to gice my first aspiring champion a deseased weapon. the girl () who answered gave me a mint idea

i'm going to try assembling him in as unchaotic way as possible with the power weapon and then making tentacles from the weapon into his arm shoulder and chest. then i paint him as an ultramarine with plague slowly coming out of the tentacles and down the sword arm.

narative being that a random ultramarine saw this sword lying there and thought he'd pick it up. the sword contained a nurgling who possesed him through the tentacles