Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Codex: Daemons released today!
Old 10 May 2008, 08:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Codex: Daemons released today!

Today is the day the Chaos Daemons is released in the UK, go forth and buy it, and may the Chaos gods go with you.

Post here to say what you're going to buy, and what plans you've got for a Daemon army.

Real men read The Strange Gazzet! (PM me for more information)

Thanks to Jais for finding the avatar!
Commander Songblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 09:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Codex: Daemons released today!

Anyone know when exactly the soulgrinder comes out? Site used to say May 10th and now it's the 17th? :-\

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 09:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've pre-ordered the codex, so hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow and find it in the mailbox.

I'm starting Daemons because I can swap over alot of my CSM stuff to a Daemon army so I can build one pretty cheap, but mainly I'm doing it because I can make a LaTD army with counts as units and keep a nurgle theme for the entire army. I've got some ideas but I won't know for sure how everything will fit together until I get the codex. I'll be sure to write up a article on making a LaTD army using the daemon codex once I get my hands on it.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 09:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Excellent, I look forward to it Cadaver.

Old 10 May 2008, 10:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

in Holland it was out last tuesday (if not earlier), so I already got my codex.

I also got a Bloodcrusher with it, because they look so awesome (and as I've come to find out they're absolutely brutal in combat as well)

I think I'll be buying the following (in order of most urgent to fancipants acquisitions):

Bloodthirster, Bloodletters, Daemonettes, Soul Grinder, Plaguebearers, Seekers, Heralds, more Bloodcrushers, Nurglings >>;

I don't really like Tzeentch so I'd prefer it if I could just avoid fielding Tzeentch units, but I'm afraid I'll have to get some flamers or something at least.
Old 10 May 2008, 12:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I had been looking forward to creating an army so that I could put my 20 or so daemonettes to a use after they became 'genericised' by codex:CSM.

Moreover, I wanted to make an army that was viable for both 40k and fantasy for the price of one. However, having browsed through both versions of the codex, I realised that it probably wouldn't end up so cheap after all. For example, I would've gone for a couple Daemon Princes for the 40k version of the army, but in the Fantasy version I'd probably ditch them cause, uh, they basically suck in Fantasy. Similarly, while I like the daemonettes in 40k, they're possibly even more fragile in Fantasy since they gotta move across the whole board.

And I'd just have to get a Greater Daemon for Fantasy, and I'd probably have to make it a Forge World version cause of how brilliant they look and go without food for a week...

But more seriously, I'm also not thrilled with how the army looks to work in Fantasy. Not that it's not a good army, in fact it can be made ridiculously powerful with Tzeentchian magic combined with Khorne, for example. Rather, it looks a bit boring to me. I'll stick with building my High Elves for the moment.

So now I think I'm gonna wait and see how 5th ed rules pan out before I start anything else. I've been wanting to get started on a different 40k army, one with more mobility than my infantry based CSMs. If it turns out that Dark Angel Ravenwing/Saim-Hann Eldar/KOS (Biker) Orks/All Jump-pack Blood Angels are still viable in terms of scoring units then I might go with one of those. If not, then maybe I'll go Daemons.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 18:14   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Couple of things about it rub me the wrong way... and the "whole army Deep Strikes" is top of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 20:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I don't know, while the deepstrike rule is weird I like it. Besides drop pod Marine armies, this is the only force with such a strange deployment style available and that's why I picked them.

Picked up the codex a few hours ago, and my fledgling CSM army has now become proxies for units of demons I don't want to buy. I know that regardless of my army set up Skulltaker on a juggernaut will be my first HQ choice. His special rule is just so amazing...
Old 11 May 2008, 04:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well I went through the models I have and what I need to buy. I want to make some HoS up on discs ( to be chariots ) and I'll pull out some of my old horrors and deamonettes. Leaves me with a nice 1000 point list to fool around with;

Herald of Slaanesh, Pavane, Deamonic Gaze, chariot; 95 *
Herald of Slaanesh, Pavane, Deamonic Gaze, chariot; 95 -

6 Fiends of Slaanesh, Unholy Might: 190 *
5 Flamers of Tzeentch: 175 -

10 Pink Horrors of Tzeentch, Changeling, Bolt of Tzeench, Icon: 220 *
14 Deamonettes, Icon: 216 -

* Wave One
- Wave Two

Eventually I'll field this but I'm too busy to model the flamers and HoS yet which need to be done. I'm not sure that deamons are all that competitive at the lower levels. They seem like an elite force that plays best at 1500 + but I could be wrong. HoS seems a little expensive with all the upgrades but theyb have a lot of potential. I'm sure the fiends and flamers will do their job too. Come 5e rending vehicles will be nerfed so it has no answers for AV14 vehicles. Hopefully at 1000 points they will be scarce.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 08:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

So everyone's extending rather than starting afresh?