Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

1500 Chaos Daemons v. Necrons
Old 10 May 2008, 03:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 1500 Chaos Daemons v. Necrons

As promised, here's a quick rundown (no pics) of my first game playing with the new daemons.

I ran,

Keeper of Secrets w/ Might, Musk
4 fiends of slaanesh
12 daemonettes w/ icon
10 daemonettes w/ icon
6 seekers of slaanesh
Soulgrinder (defiler model) w/ both gun options
2 daemon princes w/ Mark Slaanesh, Iron Hide, Might, Flight, Musk & Pavane

My friend Art ran:
Veil&Orb Lord
12 Warriors
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
3 Destroyers
3 Destroyers
3 Wraiths
1 Tomb Spider
1 Monolith

We roll up an Omega level Loot-Counter mission, with 5 loot counters

He deploys the warriors and Lord centrally. I win the roll for first turn and take it. I bring in my seekers on-target behind a building, one unit of daemonettes behind a different building. My fiends scatter towards one of his warrior squads, and the second daemonette unit scatters backwards towards my table edge.

He ends up with 7 warriors able to rapid fire the fiends, and kills two of them. His other shooting has no target.

I bring in one daemon prince and the keeper, using the forward daemonette icon. Move stuff up, Pavane the warriors closer and hit them with the fiends. I drop 4, but two get back up. They teleport out of the combat. In addition, one unit of destroyers, a monolith and the wraiths show up.

He deepstrikes the monolith aggressively, right next to where all my guys are. Drops a few models from each squad and puts two wounds on the daemon prince. His warriors finish off the fiends.

I fail to get anymore reserves, but I'm able to use Pavane to pull his warriors out of their perfect circle around the lord, allowing me to assault the warriors and the lord with the prince, a unit of daemonettes and the seekers. Wipe them all out, but this leaves most of us standing out in the open.

The other destroyers show up, and he guns down the remaining seekers, the remains of the one daemonette unit, and the prince. My guys are all running from where the monolith is too.

I finally get my other daemon prince and soul grinder on. They use the icon as well. Pavane misses, as does the soul grinder's phlegm. Daemonettes advance, as does the keeper. The keeper is able to assault the tomb spider, but doesn't get enough to consolidate into the warriors.

Those warriors get teleported out of the monolith's door. One of the destroyer unit runs from the general combat area, while the other puts a wound on the keeper. Fire from warriors add another two. Monolith zaps a daemonette.

I'm able to assault all the remaining warriors, between fleet moves and pavane, including locking the warriors in front of the monolith's door in combat. The soul grinder opts to fleet instead of shoot, and assaults the monolith, getting a penetrating hit, but only knocking off one shot and stunning it. But that's good. The warriors that just teleported end up locked in combat in front of the door, preventing any more teleport nonsense that turn. Meanwhile the prince and daemonettes make a mess of the other warrior unit. Everyone stays locked in combat.

His turn, the wraiths join the fight against the keeper. He kills the soulgrinders with the destroyers. The keeper kills all but 4 of the warriors in that squad, before the wraiths kill the keeper. The other combat is a massacre, as the prince and the daemonettes wipe out the warriors.

On my turn, Fleet + pavane + winged prince allows me to get the daemonettes and prince into combat against the last 4 warriors, and we kill them. He phases out on his turn.

Thoughts;

I think my opponent made a couple of poor decisions that cost him the game. I think that without those mistakes, I'd have lost a lot more guys, and be left without assaults a lot more. Khorne has hounds to run forwards and pin enemies down - I don't know how Nurgle expects to ever get into combat.

For relatively expensive models (15 points+), they're very fragile. But, the Slaanesh guys are certainly fast. The icons rocked. Not having saves on expensive models makes the army very unforgiving though, and the initial drop seems like it can make or break the army.

There's a lot of unpredictability. Pavane isn't as broken as Lash, though it is cetainly better written (clarity-wise) and very useful. Fleet moves can also make or break you.

Once they hit combat, they're pretty insane. Lots of attacks with rending is nice. Daemonettes are weaker than they were before, but with the additional attacks, it seems ok.

The Princes are really expensive, especially compared to the ones in the Chaos codex. Almost 100 points more for the same stats and powers. The hit&run didn't come into play, but it's really powerful, so that accounts for some of it, but I don't know if the rest of their cost is justified.

Soul Grinder didn't last long enough to give me a good feel for it, but the BS3 doesn't encourage me.

It's certainly going to take a few more games to get a better feel for it.

+1 Karma for the Battle Report - Anton.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 06:34   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: 1500 Chaos Daemons v. Necrons

Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
The Princes are really expensive, especially compared to the ones in the Chaos codex. Almost 100 points more for the same stats and powers. The hit&run didn't come into play, but it's really powerful, so that accounts for some of it, but I don't know if the rest of their cost is justified.
In all the reviews, it says you'll be able to buy the princes dirt cheap though?
Old 10 May 2008, 10:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotudown
Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
In all the reviews, it says you'll be able to buy the princes dirt cheap though?
Without upgrades it's pretty cheap, however some of the upgrades make it very expensive. (Giving it wings alone nearly doubles the cost)
Old 10 May 2008, 14:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thing is, without wings, you're a lot less likely to get anywhere quickly. You basically deep strike in, and either take a huge gamble, trying to get as close as possible, and hoping not to scatter badly, or you put a decent distance (and hopefully terrain) between you and them, and then try to get to them. Maybe the 5th ed 'run' rules will help with this, but for the moment, wings seem like a must-have.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 17:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, that's the whole thing... =P however with wings you'll have a Prince pushing 200 pts soon enough. You could easily take a Soul Grinder instead for that cost.

Deepstriking in is always a gamble though... you could always make a cheapass Prince and use it as a fire magnet. Especially with mark of Nurgle or Tzeentch you could have a tough nut to crack... Ofcourse if you want an aggressive Prince (which I'm sure most of us do) you'll *need* wings and maybe even unholy might and mark of khorne/slaanesh. This will double the cost of your prince however.

*shrug* I haven't fielded a Prince yet though.