Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Choosing a path: Undivided or Nurgle army
Old 18 Apr 2008, 05:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Cheese Elemental
Default Choosing a path: Undivided or Nurgle army

I've been collecting since September last year, and at the moment only my first CSM squad is painted. So it's not too late to gear my army towards one god. Which I think I might do. Besides the super-tough troops (6 on bikers!), what are the benefits of going with a pure Nurgle army?
Some colour scheme suggestions would be nice too. Thanks people!
Cheese Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2008, 05:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Choosing a path: Undivided or Nurgle army

Bikers of Nurgle are tough, but expensive. As non-cult troops they will not benefit from Feel no Pain; aside from this they're pretty cool. Bikers of Khorne are slightly harder to direct but when assaulting WILL hurt whatever they smash into, for having 4 attacks on the charge is always nice.

It's a shame though, because in the previous codex, when one gave Bikers the Mark of Slaanesh, they could replace their biker combibolters with Sonic Blasters, making them really useful as mobile fire platforms. For the cost of approximately 2 Noise Marines, a Biker Marine would have additional toughness, twice the speed, and be able to fire the blaster with 3 shots (as the bike was a stable firing platform). This made them surprisingly useful as poor persons destroyers for pumping out lots of shots.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 08:15   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I don't want a Khornate force, because I'd like a Chaos army good at shooting while soaking up damage, hence the thinking about a Nurgle army.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 09:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

For painting you could do this for nurgled out marines:

Base coat: 3parts Vermin Brown, 3parts Snot green, 1part chaos black. All Mixed together and painted onto the model generously.

Shading: BLack Ink watered down (1part water, 2parts ink)and ink the whole model.
2nd Shading: Same as above but with brown ink instead.

Highlight: 3parts Vermin Brown, 3parts Snot green, 1part chaos black, 1part Skull White (do the highlights over just the flat surfaces and make the highlightin very slight)

Final Step: Get Black and brown ink mix em together 50/50. Then Water it down (2parts water, 1 part ink and wash the model)

There thats the armour done .

Metal parts (bolter, armour joints etc...)

Basecoat: boltgun metal

Shading: 50/50 mix of Brown and Black ink and only a very slight amount of water and wash the metal ( be carefull not to get the already painted armour)

Highlight: drybrush Mythril Silver.

There thats the metal done. Now the rest of the models fine detail is up to you. But trust me this paint job is awesome if done correctly and doesn't look dodgy one bit. You'll look like a pro ^-^

If you also want help to build a nurgle army just reply and I'll help you out. I collect Nurgle marines too.
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2008, 02:20   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm not a big fan of mixing more than 2 colours at once, it gets really messy and screws up my paints.
Old 19 Apr 2008, 05:41   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Judging from your situation and your quirks, I would play the Devil's advocate and go with Undivided. Why?

To play a Cult Army, you have to be more aggressive and more innovative, seeing that you will have a much smaller body count, even more so that Undivided. The game really punishes those Cult armies that are extremely static, with the exception of Slaanesh.

In addition, the paint scheme for a Cult army is potentially much harder to master, as you need a certain 'feel' to it and also it requires you to use colours that are very unforgiving for beginners (Pink for Slaanesh,Putrid Green for Nurgle, Yellow for Tzeentch, and Red for Khorne). Cult armies look good in their own special clour scheme or those related to the colour, and they do not look good coloured with a colour different than those of a their 'recommended' pallete. You wil not see a pink Plague Marine for example, nor a blue Berserker.

Getting and building the models also pose mych of challenge. With the exception of the Khorne Berserkers, the other cult troops are part metal and have their own distinctive look that is rather hard to replicate. Even with conversion, it is rather hard to replicate the feel of the model, and from your statement converting is not recommended yet for a beginner such as your self. And to add to the equation, cult troops are way more expensive as compared to a normal Chaos Space Marine

Compared a Undivided army with the cult troops, you can se that a cult troop is much flexible to play with, more forgiving in terms of of colour scheme, and also in terms of making and getting the models. Go Undivided first, and then when you feel that it is appropriate to intergrate the cult troops slowly into your Undivided.

As they say, learn how to walk first before you learn how to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Apr 2008, 08:05   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Point taken. Thanks. Now that's settled, what undivided army shall I collect. Nothing with gold or red as the trim or prime colour, those colours are really annoying to paint on.