Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

An answer to the combi-plasma one-shot vs. rapid-fire question?
Old 18 Apr 2008, 04:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default An answer to the combi-plasma one-shot vs. rapid-fire question?

So, this question probably bugs me more than any other that I have about the codex. I mean, teleporting, rapid-firing plasma just seems too good for the same measly cost as the combi-meltas and flamers.

But, I just happened to be browsing through the Dark Angels codex, and I'd completely forgotten that Azrael comes with a combi-plasma gun. Their veterens also get the option for combi-plasma.

Wargear on p. 48 states the rules for combi-weapons with a much better distinction than in the Chaos codex between the 'fluff' text and the actual game rule:

Combi-weapons are bolters that have been specially modified by the chapter's most skilled artisans. Each has been expertly converted to house another weapon, either a meltagun, plasma gun or flamer. This extra weapon carries only a limited charge, allowing the bearer a single shot, perfect for emergencies and shots of opportunity.

A Space Marine armed with a combi-weapon (combi-meltagun, combi-plasma gun or combi-flamer) may choose to fire either the bolter, or the other weapon, each with the profile listed in this section. The bolter may be fired every turn, but the other weapon may only be fired once per battle (a combi-plasma gun may of course Rapid Fire). Note that you may not choose to fire both weapons in the same turn.

Obviously rules within individual codices don't constitute universal rules, but I reckon that this indicates the intention of combi-weapons. The 'one shot' is just the fluff text. Game-wise, however, it is as if you are using the other weapons profile when you choose to use it, and that includes its type, i.e. assault or rapid fire.

Until an FAQ says otherwise, this is a pretty good precedent to use, in my opinion.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2008, 04:23   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: An answer to the combi-plasma one-shot vs. rapid-fire question?

Wouldn't be against it. Its a rapid fire weapon.

Considering you have a 33% to overheat, and miss a shot, I would let you take a chance to nuke your own feet.

in addition the expense of teleporting troops makes up for it.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2008, 09:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

It's only a single round of plasma firing for a third of the cost of a normal plasma gun, I don't see why that's too good to be true. It is perfectly fine to deepstrike and rapid fire all your plasma guns, The codex doesn't say you can't rapid fire it so therefore you are able to. It only says once per battle, not one shot per battle.
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2008, 10:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Actually it (the chaos codex) says both things: 'single shot' and 'once per battle' (p. 83). I mean, that's why people don't know for sure what to make of it. It doesn't qualify it in the same way as the DA codex by explicitly saying that combi-plasmas can rapid fire.

I never said that the ability to deep-strike and rapid fire was too good to be true. I'm totally okay with a unit being able to do that, in fact, I want them to be able to do that because I have termies with combi-plasmas in my army. My point was the very cheap cost for its potential effectiveness.

Which is all beside the point anyway; I just wanted to give Chaos players this little tidbit of info that they can refer to if they need to settle the dispute with an opponent.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Apr 2008, 12:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nice catch Chimerical. I was looking at the Chaos codex last week for specifically this argument and decided against combo-plasma because I didn't see that I had much of a leg to stand on. The "Single Shot" sentence would pretty much close the argument for anyone you were trying to use it against. But being able to point out the clarification from the DA codex changes that argument rather dramatically I think. Although I am still taking combo-flamers with my termies because my army-list is sadly lacking in anti-horde.
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Apr 2008, 18:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Originally I was on the side of chaos combi plasma's only firing one shot as its what is stated in the codex. Upon looking further into it you can see that the descriptions in the chaos and DA codex's are almost identical except for the useful bit in brackets (a combi-plasma gun may of course Rapid Fire)! After asking a few of GW staff about it they agreed that it was almost certainly a printing error, and that chaos combi weapons should work exactly the same as loyalist ones.
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote