Do I haunt the Night or Change Ways?
View Poll Results: Which Do I do?
Thousand Sons 10 62.50%
Night Lords 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Tau
Default Do I haunt the Night or Change Ways?

Basically, I'm sick of being good...... the chaos gods have whispered in my ear and i've finally listened. I'm going to try and make a small chaos force probably only 1000pts for now, and make it larger when I have the money, but i'm struggling to decide.....

I either want to do a Night lords or Thousand sons force..... I can't decide so i'm going to leave it up to the good people of TO to help me out.

So here's my views so far.

Night Lords - Good Points for me
~ Already have 10 converted Night Lords troops (unpainted) in my possession
~ Can be made very fluffy and lets me be original
~ Not a common force, I've not seen anyone else with Night lords before up here.
~ Allows me to create a loyalist and radical force, meaning I can be slightly evil... or a full blown evil dude ^^

Night Lords - Bad Points for me
~ Expensive modeling
~ Undivided and If I stick to loyalism..... not much point in calling it a chaos force
~ Lots of work in converting/painting although it'd look good

Thousand Sons - Good Points for me
~ Cheaper modelling and easier paint scheme
~ Very fluffy
~ No other Thousand sons players where I live.
~ Allows me to build a force like a friend of mines who quit that I really respected and had loads of fun playing against.
~ More Challengeing.

Thousand Sons - Bad Points for me
~ Paint scheme isn't as exciting to me
~ Harder to get used to and to find a good balance with.
~ I hate the gold trims as I can't use golds properly :P

I've made a Night Lords list already and I'm working on a Thousand Sons list as we speak, any critiques in those would be awesome.

Also it's tough because i've two great ideas for models to convert into my daemon princes for each force.

Thousand Son Daemon Prince Idea

Night Lords Daemon Prince Idea

Thanks to anyone who can help me with general critiques on the two forces or deciding for me!
Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Do I haunt the Night or Change Ways?

Go with the Sons- Who can resist a 4+ invulnerable on your rank and file troops?

And who says they have to be blue with gold trims? Go for the Pre-Heresy look of red with white trims, or heck, I've seen Sons in black with blue trims- as people are wont to say in here "It's your hobby".

If you DO go with the Sons, feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to offer tactical advice on using the Sons of Magnus effectively...

[br]

[br]
Deneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 11:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

Well both armies have gold trims for a start, but i find a very easy and effective way of doign htem is paint tem shining gold, then when that's a solid coverage drybrush burnished gold, then a very light drybrush of mithril silver, followed by a brown ink (The trick is to mix it up with lots of matt varnish) and that ends up looking very effective.

Now then

Nightlords:

With Night Lords I'm assuming that you intend to use proper nightlord models rather than just the colour scheme and rules, in which case i'd say that they are as expenisve as Thousand sons (maybe more so because of the raptors though)

The last two bad points I'm not too sure how to adress tbh, If you take chosen you have some nifty infiltrators that fit the NL doctrine quite well, as its perfectly reasonable that the NL's would have infiltraitors to help sow fear and discord amongst the enemy, Possesed I can imagine beign quite frightening so they would work in a nightlord army as well. Conversion and painting will always be a lot of work, its a question of whether or not your prepared to put that work in.

Thousand Sons:

The paint Scheme is quite similar to the night Lords in that it's blue with Gold. If you're concerned about the cool "go faster" lighting bolts the night Lords use you can easily paint glyphs and runes over your Thousand sons to give them more colour (like i'm probably going to do) here is a guide to doing that.

The second point i think contradicts the bit about it being a "challenge". Yes, it may be hard to get used to and to find a good balance, but that's part of the challenge! AP 3 bolters are fun! Psycic powers are fun! the rest of your list should be fun as well, and as long as your having fun whilst finding your feet then thats all that matters, eventually you will get to grips with them and will be very proficient with them, but remember, winning isn't everything. And I've already covered the gold trims.

Hope that was of some use to you in some way.

[size=6pt][i]Edit: I tidied up my typo's, I think I got them all[i][/size]
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was originally going to do a pre-heresy army for 1k sons, but I can't find any models that look like the pre-heresy armour. (shown below)

Any advice on where I could find guys like that would be great also
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

As a NL player, of course I'd have to take their side.

As for the expensive modelling, it's really only so if you want to buy the shoulderpads, since they're not sold without the heads anymore unfortunately (since the heads are the ugliest things ever created in the Eye of Terror)

If you want to stick to NL fluff you can choose between one of two "major" roads and countless smaller ones. One being the NL that use terror simply for the pleasure of it, accepting the gifts of Chaos freely and possibly using a wide range of mutations and daemon stuff. The other one is the way of the Talonmaster, where terror is but a mean to accomplish a task and where mutations are frowned upon and where the powers of Chaos and the Daemons are to be used as tools and not worshipped (many and's in that sentence).
Seregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Thanks guys

I'm delighted with all the help so far, but I think I've made up my mind, and a special thanks to hadhfang who has given me an almost perfectly clear idea on what I'm going to do, like an enema for the mind, as the 'go faster' lighting bolts etc were a big thing I loved because it let me be creative, but the runes idea and that guide you've posted have changed my mind. Sorry Seregon, I will do a night lords army eventually, but not this day ^^

All is Dust! (I chose 1k Sons)

Thanks to everyone who helped, and also Thousand sons actually have won the vote so far so the good people of TO have in a way chosen it ^^

Anyone got any advice on the pre-heresy type helmets etc? As i'd really like to do it :P
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Whoa man! I just got hit by the answer to your dilemma. It's so obvious! You want to play as 'The Scourged'.

Well, actually, it's not perfect. You get to play like thousand sons and use a paint scheme which is basically the same as the night lords, minus the lightning motif (which, IMO, looks kind of silly anyway). What you lose is the high level of fluff.

I would go for Thousand Sons due to their unique play-style. Despite the cool Night Lords fluff about fear etc, all they are in practice is another fast assault marine army.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 12:54   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hope you'll enjoy 'em, but don't come here complaining when Tzeentch doesn't favour your dice anymore. He is a fickle master

Be sure to start a WIP-thread about them too.
Seregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Apr 2008, 16:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Hadhfang

If you have the money then perhaps gettnig some Chaos Warriors for fantasy and shaving th ehorns off the helmets might work, if you check out my WIP Terminators in the conversions section of the site i've done that and I think they look quite good, Using those helmets for Normal marines might work for the Rubrics as well (especially if you going for pre-heresy )
Hadhfang is offline   Reply With Quote