Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-Tau tactics for chaos
Old 14 Apr 2008, 00:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Anti-Tau tactics for chaos

How would Chaos Marines stack up generaly agianst Tau armies? Some tactics would be welcome.

[Edit: I've posted a sample army list in the sub forums. You can check it out.] - Gree, the next time you update a Topic, instead of creating a whole new post/reply, just simply edit your first/original post instead - Anton.

Fire and Honor Review.
Gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 01:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Anti-Tau tactics for chaos

For a good answer, you'd need to be a bit more specific

Generally, Chaos does quite well against Tau, I find. Since Tau has very few effective, penetrating weapons that aren't anti-tank, they don't do as well against MEQ as they do against GEQ. Now, they do have Plasma Rifles, which you really need to fear. Other than that, you should do alright.
Limit tanks. That's where tau will get you. I'd happily take no tanks against tau - field some Terminators, some Chosen with meltas or plasma, some vanilla marines (or whatever Mark you have), and some Obliterators and you're good. Raptors may not be a bad idea at all, for some quick CC.
Try not to Rhino Rush or do things similar like that. Your tanks will get utterly destroyed by the Railguns by turn two.
That's all I can think of for now.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 01:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yep, this might be hard. I recommend plasma rifles until we get more info, but I play both armies so I should be able to help.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 02:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well I ran a mechanized list with my Night Lords and Black Legion.

Would maxing out on raptors with infiltrating chosen and a lash sorcerer work out for me?

But How do I oppose the Fish of Fury armies?

Fire and Honor Review.
Gree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 02:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree
Would maxing out on raptors with infiltrating chosen and a lash sorcerer work out for me?
That sounds good, Gree.

For FoF, there's not much you can do, unfortunately. Hit 'em with what you got and hope they die, really. Use your raptors to jump over and assault, if you can.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 04:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx

+Chaos Havocs w/ Autocannons
+Khornate Raptors
+Berserkers w/ Rhino
+Daemon Prince w/ Lash of Submission
+Greater Daemon
+Chaos Space Marines Squads

You'll kill

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Try Nurgle out your army. Have a good solid core of marines (like 30 or so), get a good bunch of termies tool em up abit, 10 raptors and some bikes... yep that should do it. Ohh and a very scary lord preferrably on a big base... NOW that should do it.
Kharvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 10:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

the things I hated most when playing Tau were:

1) Feel no pain: With base toughness 4, only the railgun and fusion blasters can ignore it, neither of which come in large numbers as they are taken as anti-tank whom are never as numerous as infantry. So my first tip would be to take plague marines.

2) Monsterous creatures: Their plasmaguns are only S6, which sounds like nothing when considering marines but makes a world of difference agaisnt things like carnifexes and daemons. These things can soak up tonnes of fire so take a daemon prince.

3) The lack of Extra Armour: it's really hard to down a tau skimmer in one turn, but quite easy to do it in two. The best way to make use of this is to take something that won't have multiple priority targets. So take autocannon havocs but don't expect them to spend any time ripping through firewarriors, as fun as that may be.
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Apr 2008, 10:12   #9 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
How would Chaos Marines stack up generaly agianst Tau armies? Some tactics would be welcome.
Hello Gree and welcome to the Forces of Chaos board. My name is Anton and I'm one of the Moderators soulbound tasked with keeping this board in shape.

Quote:
But How do I oppose the Fish of Fury armies?
Autocannons, Autocannons, Autocannons. The bane of every skimmer alike, the Autocannon is a fantastic weapon against the frustratingly fast Tau Skimmers. Whilst I don't have much experience of fighting Tau myself, I've been told by a number of Veteran Chaos players that Autocannons are brilliant at swatting those pesky Tau Vehicles. A single Havoc Squad with four Autocannons, or better yet! Two separate Autocannon armed Havoc Squads so you can get an even spread of firepower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharvol
Try Nurgle out your army. Have a good solid core of marines (like 30 or so), get a good bunch of termies tool em up abit, 10 raptors and some bikes... yep that should do it. Ohh and a very scary lord preferrably on a big base... NOW that should do it.
Nurgle Armies suffer greatly at the hands of Tau, considering they have the most high strength weapons available the Mark of Nurgle means squat to them. However I have been told, and seen for myself, that Tzeentch units do very well against Tau armies primarily because of their ability to give units Inv. Saves. Tau are very good at blasting through Power Armour, however Tzeentch units (especially Thousand Sons Squads) have the ability to save against Tau weaponry and make your opponent a little red in the face. However Plague Marines would also be a good unit to take, with the ability to soak up Tau Pulse Rifle fire and suffer very few casualties.
Old 14 Apr 2008, 10:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Autocannons, Autocannons, Autocannons. The bane of every skimmer alike, the Autocannon is a fantastic weapon against the frustratingly fast Tau Skimmers. Whilst I don't have much experience of fighting Tau myself, I've been told by a number of Veteran Chaos players that Autocannons are brilliant at swatting those pesky Tau Vehicles. A single Havoc Squad with four Autocannons, or better yet! Two separate Autocannon armed Havoc Squads so you can get an even spread of firepower.
I'm not trying to challenge you Anton, but out of interest, what makes Autocannons so effective against Skimmers?

And to answer the original question, try to get into Close Combat A.S.A.P. Some possessed would work well, and, although it may die quickly, A defiler might be helpful, but put all it's CC weapons on it. (I can't remember how many it can have. 2?) With it's Fleet rule, it could get in there quick, and you could have a steaming bowl of mashed Fireworrior with boiled Ethereal for dinner ;D

Mmmmm. Ethereal....
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote