Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help the newbie lord out
Old 12 Apr 2008, 13:37   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default help the newbie lord out

OK i have a few questions to do with chaos and the reason why i can't find the answer out my self is because i have a silly habit of buying units and etc and forgetting to buy codex and i can't buy one till i get paid off my Saturday job(vue cinema : ) which is in a three week time, spent last months on paints and glue , etc. basics really. so:

1. daemons....nurglings....i last remember that the daemons had to have a min of 10 models but nurglings come in two big basses with five on each so could a put a nurgling an a separate base each, would it be legal or do i have to have ten nurgling bases?

2. can raptors and possesed have marks of chaos, especially nurgle?

3. can i use zomies from warhammer as plague zombies like the ones in apocalpyse for a 40k game?

if you can answer them i will be very grateful

two of the best film quotes EVER:

One crow, sorrow. Two crows, joy. Three crows, a letter! Four crows, a boy. Five crows, silver. Six crows, gold! Seven crows, a secret never to be told.

Congratulations, Monkey! You just bought yourself a fighting chance!
jacktheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 14:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: help the newbie lord out

1. Sorry, but nurglings (or any type of named daemon for that matter) do not exist at this point in time. The closest subsitute would be the "lesser daemon pack" entry, which is a basic marine with 2 attacks and no shooting which of course doesn't represent a nurgling well at all. I'm sure if your playing a friend he won't mind letting you use the old rules for nurglings where they come in bases and if memory serves has a unit size of 3-10 big bases with multiple nurglings on each.

2. yes and yes

3. As long as they are clearly plague zombies, you can do whatever you like. :P Once again, the problem would be that this unit no longer "Exists" but hey, if your friends are okay with them, go crazy.
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 16:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Trouble seems to be that you are trying to build an army using units that are now out-dated by the release of a new codex. You'd have to have a good think about some counts-as subs. So...

1) Nurglings could easily be used to represent Daemon packs, just decide how many is represented on each base and make sure your opponent knows how many wounds/attacks etc each one has, or use one base to represent one daemon. The choice is yours...

2) These units can buy Icons that effectively give them the Mark of their relevant deity (or undivided) so yes to both.

3) Not sure how you'd represent these using the new chaos codex, maybe there's something in the Eye of Terror book? Where were they originally?

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 18:17   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
1. daemons....nurglings....i last remember that the daemons had to have a min of 10 models but nurglings come in two big basses with five on each so could a put a nurgling an a separate base each, would it be legal or do i have to have ten nurgling bases?
As far as I am concerned, the Nurglings are currently in the state of Limbo until the new Daemon Codex is out.

But one thing I am sure of is this; Lesser Daemons are most often in 25 mm bases, and thus the Nurglings are ruled out as a result. I know, I hate the rule as well and they costed me my Nurglings to be sold away. So no, no 40mms for the lesser Daemons in regards to this case.

Quote:
2. can raptors and possesed have marks of chaos, especially nurgle?
In the current Codex, yes you can buy the mark or to be exact an Icon of Chaos for the squad, and thus the entire squad as a whole benefits from any mark they are armed with, from Chaos Undivided (Glory in the new codex) to Nurgle. But do remember that once the icon bearer is dead, the squad loses the benefit of the mark So it is generally advisable to not take out the icon bearer most of the time.

Quote:
3. can i use zomies from warhammer as plague zombies like the ones in apocalpyse for a 40k game?
Yes you can, provided that you make it 'count it as something', which is in most cases Lesser Daemons. But if you want them to be used like Plague Zombies like in the Apocalypse, it is a big no-no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 20:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

thanks for the quick feed back and i wish to thank one and all for the help given. i now know several things:
1.nurglingstill new codex is a no no unless the bases changes
2.zombies=plague bearers as long as i convert them.
3.yeah for nurgly raptors and oozy possesed. now where did i put that spare bitz case?no joke its a small tool box

two of the best film quotes EVER:

One crow, sorrow. Two crows, joy. Three crows, a letter! Four crows, a boy. Five crows, silver. Six crows, gold! Seven crows, a secret never to be told.

Congratulations, Monkey! You just bought yourself a fighting chance!
jacktheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Apr 2008, 21:02   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis_Vyper
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, the Nurglings are currently in the state of Limbo until the new Daemon Codex is out.

But one thing I am sure of is this; Lesser Daemons are most often in 25 mm bases, and thus the Nurglings are ruled out as a result. I know, I hate the rule as well and they costed me my Nurglings to be sold away. So no, no 40mms for the lesser Daemons in regards to this case.
That's one point of view, and a perfectly valid one perhaps in your gaming community. \however, as far as I'm aware mounting a model on a larger base than what it comes with is perfectly acceptable, whereas mounting them on smaller bases is the no-no. So this would support the acceptable use of nurglings (on a 40mil base) as counts-as lesser daemons.

True, they'll be usable in Daemonic Legion armies, but I would allow them to be used as generics in a Chaos Marine army too. Just my pov.

Old 12 Apr 2008, 21:25   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extartius
Quote:
Quote:

That's one point of view, and a perfectly valid one perhaps in your gaming community. \however, as far as I'm aware mounting a model on a larger base than what it comes with is perfectly acceptable, whereas mounting them on smaller bases is the no-no. So this would support the acceptable use of nurglings (on a 40mil base) as counts-as lesser daemons.

True, they'll be usable in Daemonic Legion armies, but I would allow them to be used as generics in a Chaos Marine army too. Just my pov.
But the thing is that even if the general rule of "You can mount in any base bigger but not smaller" but there is a limit to that. I mean Characters can be mounted on a bigger base for example, but for a troop choice unit to be on a huge base is just downright weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Apr 2008, 14:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extartius
Quote:
Quote:

But the thing is that even if the general rule of "You can mount in any base bigger but not smaller" but there is a limit to that. I mean Characters can be mounted on a bigger base for example, but for a troop choice unit to be on a huge base is just downright weird.
I don't disagree with you, it would be a bit wierd and there should always be an element of care applied. However, this rule of thumb does allow you to use the miniatures you bought and painted but which then got written out of the codex...