Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Daemons....unit descriptions
Closed Thread
Old 09 Apr 2008, 14:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Chaos Daemons....unit descriptions

All right, I've taken a look through the new Chaos Daemons codex, here are my full impressions.

To start with, dispelling some misconceptions.

No, they can't ally with Chaos Space Marines

No, they can't assault on the round they deep strike

No, there are no God-related restrictions on what units you can take. The book makes it clear that all Daemons cooperate against non-Daemons...although Heralds cannot join units that are not their God's.

Army Wide Special Rules:

Fearless, the whole army is fearless, and in case of Deceiver they are all leadership 10 (with the odd exception of a Tzeentchian special character who is 9)

Eternal Warriors, the whole army is immune to instant death. Period.

Daemonic assault. No matter the mission, the entire Daemon army starts in reserve. Prior to the first turn the Daemon player divides his army into two halves, as close to equal size, in terms of number of units, as possible and selects one of those halves. Then he "prays to the Dark Gods", by throwing a dice. On a 3+ the half he selected Deep Strikes on the first round and the other half deep strikes in over the course of the game. On a 1 or 2 the half he didn't want deep strikes in on the first round, while the primary trickles in as reserves.

Invulnerable saves: Everyone's got one, very few have armor saves.

HQ:

The HQ slot has 4 Greater Daemons, 4 Heralds, and 5 special characters. It's the biggest HQ section I've ever seen.

Greater Daemons:

The Greater Daemons are all similar enough that I'll devote a bit to them as generic gribblies. They've all got a wonderful statline, similar to a Daemon Prince or any other monstrous creature of your choosing. High weapon skill, high initiative, 4 wounds, etc. Their invul saves are all down to a 4+.

BloodThirster: He's got wings, a 3+ armor save, and furious charge. HIs weapon skill is the same as an avatar's and his s has been boosted to an autocannon shot's s. He's also got one more attack. His upgrades are, by and large, not worth taking. His cost is astronomical, 5/6 that of the Deceiver.

KoS: He's got Fleet, offensive and defensive grenades, and the best possile initiative. He's also got as many attacks as the BloodThirster. His upgrades including Hit and Run (for half a loyalist terminator) and the mini-lash (18", roll to hit, move them d6 ", only once a round on any particular unit) He costs 4/5 of a BloodThirster.

Greater Unclean One: He's got one more wound than the rest, and a crummy initiative. He's Slow and Purposeful and Feels no Pain. He can get the Breathe of Chaos (flamer, wounds on 4+, ignores armor save) for the cost of a Chaos Terminator. He's the cheapest of the Greater Daemons, costing as much as 4 loyalist terminators.

Lord of Change: His statline is a bit worse than the rest, in terms of attacks and weapon skill. He can, however, fly, and his invulnerable save is as good as a Wraith's. He's also got some shooting, upgradeable as usual, which lets him shoot the Bolt of Tzeentch and what is essentially a shorter ranged heavy bolter with inferno bolts, at different targets. He shares the Bloodthirster's astronomical cost.

Heralds:

The heralds are just slightly better infantry, 2 wounds a pop. They cost, general, less than a hundred points. They can be upgraded in their deities respective manners (flamer for the nurglers, mini-lash for the slaaneshers, shooting for the tzeentchers, etc.) Heralds are also 2 to a slot, so you can have 4 Heralds in a list.

In addition, for fairly cheap, they can get a mount, which is a great stat boost and often changes their movement type, or a chariot, which is usually cheaper than the mount and boosts their statline more, but also takes away their IC status.

HoK comes with a power weapon and furious charge. His Juggernaught and chariot don't change his unit type (though they do give him a space marine armor save).
HoS comes with rending and grenades, his steed and chariot make him calvalry
HoN comes with FnP and SAP, his chariot doesn't change his unit type
HoT comes with a high invul save and shooting, his steed makes him jump infantry and his chariot makes him a jetbike

In general, a Herald on a Chariot has 4 wounds, one on a steed has 3 and one on foot has 2.

Troops

All of the troops are pretty expensive, with bloodletters and horrors up near a Necron warrior and Daemonettes and Plaguebearers a little lower. They all have a 5+ invulnerable save. They can all buy a "champ" (upgrades for one character to make them fightier), an Icon and a musician (musician means if the combat is a draw you win by one instead). They all come in units of 5-20 (very convenient if you are collecting fantasy, neh?)

Bloodletters

They've got a space marine statline except for 2 attacks and a ws of 5. They have furious charge. They have no armor save. They have Power Weapons! Their champ has rending.

Pink Horrors

They've got a shooting attack, 3 shots at the range of a bolter with the strength of a bolter and the AP of a heavy bolter. Their BS is only that of an Eldar guardian though, and the rest of their statline is sub Space Marine. They do have a 4+ invulnerable save though. Their champ has the Bolt of Tzeentch (but can't split his fire from the squad's).

Daemonettes

They've got one more attack than bloodletters, but their s and t are that of a guardsmen. They've all got grenades, fleet and rending...and a really high initative (same as Genestealer) Their champ has a lash whip, like a Nid one. It subtracts an attack.

Plaguebearers

They are slow and purposeful and Feel no Pain, and have the toughness of a plague marine. They wound any enemy on a 4+ and their unit champ wounds on a 2+.

Nurglings

Your basic swarm, same general statline as any other swarm. No Feel no pain or slow and purposeful...but like all other daemon units they can't be instant killed.

Elites

The elite units, in general, range in cost between a chaos terminator and a loyalist terminator, and come in units of 1-X, where X is their god's favored number. They typically have 2 wounds.

Fiends of Slaanesh

They've got 5 attacks a pop that are rending, they move as cav and they hit and run.

BloodCrushers of Khorne

Great statline, s and t one better than a marine, move as infantry and have a 3+ armor save. They've got the usual khornish power weapons and furious charge.

Flamers of Tzeentch

They've got the usual crummy shooting attack...but they also each have the bodacious Breath of Chaos and are thus one of the list's only anti-armor units. They move as jump infantry and have the usual tzeentchian improved invul save.

Beasts of Nurgle

They've got FNP, SAP and a high toughness. They wound on 4+, and have d6 attacks each. They move as infantry. I've been trying to keep my assessments of units for a different post, but these guys are awful.

Fast Attack:

The fast attack units come in packs of 5-20, and their costs are typically between 14 and 17 points. They basically come off as faster troops.

Seekers of Slaanesh:

Daemonettes on steeds, they've lost their grenades but move as cav and have one more attack (yes, 4 rending attacks each! 5 on the charge!!)

Flesh Hounds:

Bloodletter statline, but minus -1 ws (so equal to space marines and everyone else) and move as cav with furious charge. It's important to note that they don't have power weapons. Remind me of Space Wolf fenrisian wolves, although those don't tend to deep strike in your face.

Furies:

Yar, it be an undivided daemon! Anyway, they move as jump infantry and have an average statline. No special rules.

Screamers of Tzeentch:

They move as jetbikes and have the usual tzeentchian improved save. They only have one attack, but they count as having melta bombs, so if they jump a vehicle it's in for a world of hurt.

Heavy Support:

Unbound Defiler:

Now THIS is a defiler! It's got one higher armor value than the CSM one, 4 attacks and ignores shaken and stunned results. It's main gun is a heavy flamer with one more point of s than usual, but you can upgrade to either a 24" railgun or a 36" battle cannon. Shame the other Heavy Support choice is so insanely good.

Daemon Prince:

He's the Daemon Prince from the Chaos Space Marine book, but dirt cheap and with a ridiculous number of options. You can align him to any one of the Gods and then pick from upgrades related to that deity, or just leave him as a cheap MC that deep strikes.
Old 09 Apr 2008, 15:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Chaos Daemons....unit descriptions

Awesome work there, I'm really looking forward to this codex ^_^

Old 10 Apr 2008, 09:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No allying at all? Seriously? Not even if we adhere to a further set of restrictions? Not even if we only take a single unit? Despite already being able to take generic deamon types in the chaos spacemarine army?

I was looking forward to the new codex but now all I want to do is see the codex, make sure you didn't misread it somehow, then pretend I never even heard about a daemon codex.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 09:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyblue
No allying at all? Seriously? Not even if we adhere to a further set of restrictions? Not even if we only take a single unit? Despite already being able to take generic deamon types in the chaos spacemarine army?

I was looking forward to the new codex but now all I want to do is see the codex, make sure you didn't misread it somehow, then pretend I never even heard about a daemon codex.
This has been a well known fact about the Daemon Codex for many months. If it's a surprise to you now, the fact that there is a Daemon codex should be a surprise. :P The no allying rule has pretty much been listed like a disclaimer in every daemon rumor thread.

That said, there's nothing to stop people from using the CSM codex and the Daemon codex together for friendly games. I plan on it and as a means to just replace generic lesser and greater daemons in the CSM book, it's an easy fix. Additionally, more customizable Daemon Princes are also an option. Don't let the no ally rule keep you from building a mixed army, but don't build a mixed army with the intent of abusing rules or exploiting loopholes and I guarantee most gamers wouldn't have a problem with it in normal games.

40kE, awesome write up. +1 Karma.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 11:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Geez, after the Chaos Space Marines codex I thought some very influential person in GW must have a soft spot for Nurgle. Obviously I was wrong. I can see people going Khorne, Slaanesh and Tzeentch daemons, but you'd only go Nurgle if you already had the models. They don't even sound bad in a fun way.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 12:05   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Uh, I'm gonna check with TO, but i'm pretty sure you cant post that much detail I'm afraid. :-\

Other than that, thanks for the good post. :P
Old 10 Apr 2008, 16:41   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

The fact that these two armies cannot intermix except for "Friendly" games - which, lets face it, don't happen as often as some would like to make it sound - or apocalypse is sad indeed. Seperate, they're both really mediocre armies - C:SM due to their lack of flavor, and CD because they are crippled with their deployment rule. Together, they might actually be a competitive list.

As for nurgle...Well, its a mixed bag as always, but consider an apocolypse list with Epidemus, a few great unclean ones and plaguebearers (read warprift, it doesn't specify the lesser or greater demons from the C:SM book.) a greater demon or two, and a ton of Plague marines. That gets nasty, really quick.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 16:56   #8 (permalink)
Anton

Good work 40enthusiast, I'll be adding this to the Important Topics sticky.

[hr]

And as a warning to all, do not let this get heated. I know how people feel about not being able to ally CSM with the new Daemons, however the rules are the rules and you'll just have to make the best of what you've got. However as Cadaver has explained earlier, you can still combine units in friendly games.

I'll be watching!

Old 10 Apr 2008, 19:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja'Khul, Prince of Blood
Uh, I'm gonna check with TO, but i'm pretty sure you cant post that much detail I'm afraid. :-\

Other than that, thanks for the good post. :P
Hmmm, It doesn't have and exact stats or point costs. I thought he did a good job of detailing units without listing anything that wasn't generally allowed in any typical discussion of armies. Although, I guess it doesn't hurt to check with TO and make sure the posts is on the up and up.
Old 10 Apr 2008, 22:11   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Yeah, but not posting statlines is a guideline we provide, GW will not think in terms of absoloutes. They might just read it and think "Whoa this is pretty much the backbone of the codex right here." TO hasn't got back to me yet though.