Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

To Warptime, or not to Warptime? ... that is the question.
Old 03 Apr 2008, 13:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default To Warptime, or not to Warptime? ... that is the question.

I've been noticing recently in my games that more often than not, I am choosing not to turn on Warptime prior to engaging in assault for fear of wiping my opponents squad and leaving my Daemon Princes (one with Nurgle, one with Tzeentch) standing out in the open as easy prey for my opponents shooting element.
I would dearly love to use that 40 points elsewhere if this is a trend which will continue. But I suspect I am more sensitive to this issue because my (one and only for now) opponent is playing Eldar and I have accumulated a healthy (maybe unhealthy) respect for the shooting ability of his forces. And, he has a tendency to run very small squads of around 6 troopers. So on the charge I stand a very good chance of wiping his squads and then being shot to pieces in turn.
What do you guys think?

-I am running two Princes, both with wings and the aforementioned Marks.
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 17:16   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: To Warptime, or not to Warptime? ... that is the question.

try one warp and one lash?

You could use the warp prince to F up his HQs and elites, and the Lash prince would still be a beast in CC but also have more of a all around utility spell to use. Would lash work well with your army?
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 17:42   #3 (permalink)
Anton

Heya,

Recently I've been fielding a Nurgle Terminator Sorcerer with Nurgle's Rot. Whilst not the same as the Daemon Prince, I must say that Nurgle's Rot is an amazing power! Nurgle's Rot works best against G.E.q's, however I've also been capable of felling a Marine or two with it as well.

Two Assault Princes is pretty hardcore, however you must understand that Daemon Princes are very big, very attractive targets and they will always be shot at. DanielSon made a good recommendation, the Lash of Submission is a great power that will inevitably make your opponent red in the face as you pull and push his squads wherever you desire. Small Eldar squads are really annoying, and I can understand why you would be concerned about annihilating one of these squads and ending up face first into his firing lines, and the only way I can see you countering this is by Lashing his shooting units out of position, thus your other Daemon Prince will be safe to assault.
Old 03 Apr 2008, 20:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've been avoiding taking the Lash because of how it appears to dominate the game mechanics, and in all honesty-because of how many people complain about it. The army list I am building up to is all about fast movement and forcing hard decisions on the opponent:

2 DP's w/wings
2 Small Termie Squads w/H-flamer
1 Small Noise Marine Squad w/blastmaster
2 Zerker Squads w/Rhino
2 Raptor Squads
2 Defiler
1 Greater Demon

So I am counting on the amount of threat on the table to increase survivability... want to shoot the easy Rhinos or Defilers? Ignore the DP's and Daemon then... etc, etc. At least that is the theory.

And Warptime is awesome on the DP's... but only when you run into a large enough squad to need it. Those points could go to strengthening my Zerker or Raptor squads.

So I guess I am just questioning if Warptime is really overkill on a DP?
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 21:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Do you have warptime on both DP's? If so, I'd consider taking it off of the nurgle prince, as he has the toughness to survive a long fight with a big horde, while the tzeentch prince can still reroll any shooting power you give him. Then, you have it on the one prince should you need it to engage the most dangerous foes, and the other prince can go after easier targets as needed.

also, just a side note, warptime is not 40 points, nor is it 20 points, so I do not see how you can save 40 points by not taking it.

Great tactic for the army. Should work very well. enjoy it!
BrownKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 21:18   #6 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_1972
I've been avoiding taking the Lash because of how it appears to dominate the game mechanics, and in all honesty-because of how many people complain about it.
Don't worry about what people say, besides most of the whining about Lash is due to the extinction of the Legion rules... But let's not venture down that path shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_1972
So I guess I am just questioning if Warptime is really overkill on a DP?
No. But on two Daemon Princes I think it is a bit excessive. A Nurgle Daemon Prince with Warp Time is fantastic in combat! Why don't you give the Nurgle Daemon Prince Warp Time, and your Tzeentch Daemon Prince a shooting power(s)?
Old 04 Apr 2008, 15:05   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

if your DPs are able to defeat his squads on charge without warptime, i dont see any reason to use it.

i would also recommend a lash. remember that not only does it allow you to throw away his units, it also allows you to pull them to you for charging. this is like moving 2d6 extra, very good IMO (also good for your berzerkers).

im not too familiar with eldar, but maybe doombolt could be good?
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 02:48   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Warptime on a DP will get more points out of it than on your sorcerer. I mean, who here would have their sorcerer in CC? Even in Terminator armor, you don't want them in Close combat unless you are absolutly sure you won't die. on a DP it may be overkill, but remember, you can still fail the re-roll.
Hashulaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 05:04   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I play Khorne so I don't have any helpful advice on the psychic ability itself, but I find myself wanting to stay in combat for an extra turn regardless of what unit we're talking about. This is especially true for eldar who don't have some sort of S6/8 powerweapon hidden in their squads (as far as I can remember).

Hashulaman: At a glance, it would seem that warptime is more effective when the user is more likely to fail his hits or wounds. So on a daemonprince it is good insurance, but on a sorceror it can double his damage output (1/3 kills per attack --> 2/3 kills per attack on MEQ)

Also, consider a sorceror with warptime compared to a lord with a pair of lightning claws, not an uncommon combination. Their other options are the same, the sorceror is 5pts more but he gets rerolls to hit against the lords +1WS which is only effective against a relativley small range of units. And if the sorceror is tzeentch, he can use his force weapon as well. So when I decide to move away from playing Khorne exclusively, I'd be more than happy to have a sorceror whom I'd put in combat as often as possible.
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Apr 2008, 10:28   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Well,I find that two Daemon Princes with Warptime is overkill, no matter their mark. Generally it is best that you take one ability for each daemon prince that is different from the other. For the Tzeentchian one, I agree with Anton to take a shooting ability on it.

Have you considered Winds of Chaos? The power is a very good power, particularly on the Tzeentchian Daemon Prince. If not you can always use the psychic ability that enables the Tzeentchian to shoot a multi-melta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote