Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Possessed
Old 30 Mar 2008, 18:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Possessed

After posting army lists, talking to people, etc., I have come upon a conclusion that Possessed Chaos Space Marines are generally frowned upon. People don't think they're good, and people think that it's better to have another squad of Terminators or Chosen for your Elite slot.

I beg to differ, and here's why.

First of all, their statline. They are almost standard marines - however, for only 11 points more than the standard Chaos Space Marine, you get one more strength and attack, as well as a decent (but not great) Invulnerable save. Giving a Possessed the Mark of Nurgle will give him amazing toughness as well as the strength and attack bonus, and giving him the Mark of Khorne will give each Possessed 3 attacks; 4 on the charge! Those improved stats are almost worth the 11 extra points alone, (more, of course, if you go for the marks), but this isn't where the Possessed shine. Yep, you guys guessed it, Daemonkin.

This is an amazing ability, in my opinion. If you roll a 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6, you are giving your Possessed a really great special rule, and the only time a Possessed even might not be worth his points is if you roll a one and get Scouts, but even that is helpful.
Rolling a two gives you Furious Charge, boosting the Possessed strength even higher (double that of the normal infantry!) on the charge.
Or maybe you'll get fleet of foot, causing your Possessed to get to the battle and into close combat, where you want them to be as soon as possible?
Rending can also be extremely helpful, although not quite as much (in my opinion) as some of the others. Sure, you do major damage, but only if you roll a six. Still, it's quite helpful, especially in larger squads.
Feel No Pain. Ahh, a lovely rule, basically giving your Possessed the dreaded We'll Be Back rule everyone hates Necrons for. Giving a squad of Possessed the Mark of Nurgle and getting Feel No Pain will give you Strength 5, Toughness 5 close combat beasts that have a 50% chance of surviving any non-instant-killing wound, in addition to their power armor save. This makes these things near impossible to kill!
And do I even need to mention Power Weapons? Imagine a squad of 10 Strength 5 Possessed, charging at you with Power Weapons...I don't think I need to explain why this one's so good.

For those of you worried about your elite slot... your other three choices are Terminators, Chosen, and Dreadnoughts. I personally believe that, while Chosen and Terminators are good, the only good thing about a Dreadnought is that it's an enormous firing magnet - unless you have several, I doubt your dreadnought's gonna be able to do much before it's destroyed. So, I think of it more that you have two other good Elite options - Chosen and Terminators.
Terminators are great. Don't get me wrong. The 2+ save, giving them Lightning claws...it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. However, they're quite expensive, especially if you take all those tempting upgrades, so I think that you should never have more than 2 squads of them in any game - I don't like pooling all those points into one type of unit.
Chosen are great with all of their options, but I think they're unnecessary. They play the role of a troop, but they're an elite choice. I think you're better of taking some more Marines, or maybe some Devastators , instead of wasting an Elite slot on these. They can be good (infiltrate + 5 meltas = doom), but really, I think they are an unnecessary unit who's role can be more cheaply and efficiently fulfilled by other units.

Last, but not least, I think they're among the coolest models Chaos Space Marines have to offer. How can you say no to this?

So what I don't get is why people dislike Possessed. For less points than a Terminator (and only 3 more points than a Plague Marine or Thousand Son) you get these amazing, resilient killing machines. Could someone explain to me why people are so against using them?
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to trash-candle
Default Re: Possessed

i agree, i always take tons of possessed into battle instead of other troops. They are much better when you have lots i've found ;D

Quote:
players like to represent this act by replacing the model for Lion el'jonson with a bowling ball, and bowling it in a straight line directly towards cypher
trash-candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:14   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

You should read this.

I have also stated a similar thing before a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Oh, cool, I (obviously) didn't see that, Vyper. Thanks, that's really well written (much better than mine :P)
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

How many Elite choices can you take? I don't have a codex or rulebook near me, and I can't wuite remember :P

But anyway, if it's 2, then I would just take my Melta-chosen and my Termies. The person I usually play is a very shooty army, so my Possessed normally die before they can get to him, so I use my Melta-Chosen to infiltrate near his predator and they go on a rampaging suicide run towards his predator. And I Usually try to deepstrike my Termies next to his Devastators and rip them apart so they don't kill my vindicator and/or Daemon prince ^^

If you can take 3, then I'll take possesed for the fun of it, because they are worth the chance...
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1kill
First of all, their statline. They are almost standard marines - however, for only 11 points more than the standard Chaos Space Marine, you get one more strength and attack, as well as a decent (but not great) Invulnerable save.
Only 11 points! 11 points is huge! That means that your possessed are very close to double the cost of standard marines.

A squad of 10 possesed costs 260 points with no mark.
They can do no damage until (if) they reach close combat.

10 chosen, with 5 plasmaguns costs 255 points with no mark.
They are guaranteed to be doing tons of horrendous damage from turn one, without the need to reach combat.
Infilitrate ensures they can be in an excellent position to start delivering all that gooey plasma death. Sure you might lose a guy or two to overheat, but that isn't really a problem so much when you have that many shots. You can essentially pulp an enemy elite squad on turn one with your chosen before they do anything, furthermore your chosen always have a much much bigger threat radius. 18" all the time, 6" move and 12" rapid fire range.

Mind you this is an extreme example, but just one of the reasons people prefer things like chosen or terminators, they are more consistent and more versatile. You know exactly what your unit is capable of every time, and both chosen and termies have a very very good delivery system for giving the enemy tons of close range pain and firepower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Quote:
First of all, their statline. They are almost standard marines - however, for only 11 points more than the standard Chaos Space Marine, you get one more strength and attack, as well as a decent (but not great) Invulnerable save.
Only 11 points! 11 points is huge! That means that your possessed are very close to double the cost of standard marines.
But what you get with those 11 points is even bigger.

You bring up a good point about the Chosen, but keep in mind that Chosen don't guarantee destruction either. Nothing can 100%, every time, always do what you want. If you do manage to get those Possessed into close combat, which isn't too hard with 3+ saves, potentially 5 toughness, a Rhino, and potentially Fleet of Foot or Scouts, they're going to do twice as much damage as those Chosen can even dream of.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
You bring up a good point about the Chosen, but keep in mind that Chosen don't guarantee destruction either. Nothing can 100%, every time, always do what you want. If you do manage to get those Possessed into close combat, which isn't too hard with 3+ saves, potentially 5 toughness, a Rhino, and potentially Fleet of Foot or Scouts, they're going to do twice as much damage as those Chosen can even dream of.
5 meltaguns though, statistically, 2 or 3 shots will hit, and 1 will penetrate...

And, for some reason, I never thought of giving possessed a rhino...
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:09   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

i've never gone for power gaming, i tend to go for what looks cool and will provide a fun game on the tabletop (hence buying a dreadnought), i find that what falstead said is right. Chosen just seem a bit pointless, i mean other than putting them in a rhino and giving them all melta guns or something they serve no use whatsoever.

possessed however, they may be no uses to some people, but i say they're great, the daemonkin rule means they always work out differently, which adds something to the game. plus the models are pretty cool (unlike chosen who look pretty much the same as a normal trooper, i've already got six selections of said guys anyway).

i would choose possessed over chosen 9 times out of 10, just for coolness
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 21:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by <<Majonga>>
i find that what falstead said is right. Chosen just seem a bit pointless,
I said the opposite. Chosen are better than possessed.

Giving them a rhino makes fully 1/3 of their random abilities nearly worthless. (Scouts and fleet).

If I'm taking a unit I want to know what it can do conistently. Where does it fit into my army.
I think possessed are cool, neat concept and great models, but ultimatley not worth it. You're better off using those bits spread out througout the army to make your whole force look cooler, and spend points on better units.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote