Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help with starting a chaos army.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 14:50   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help with starting a chaos army.

Hey everyone, I'm about to buy some chaos space marines, I just wanted to know what everyone thought about my purchase.

I was thinking a lord with jump pack, a raptor squad, 3 space marine squads and two missile launcher marines.

I don't have a codex yet, but I think this purchase will give me the basis for a cool chaos infantry army.

Oblits or termies would be my next purchase, btw.

The list I was thinking of:

Lord w/ flight, demon weapon OR Lightning claws, Mark of Khorne (does that up WS?)
question: what is the invulnerable save upgrade for chaos HQs?

Chosen squad: 5 chosen, 1 chosen champion, 2 missile launchers, 2 twin linked bolters? (is TL bolters an option?)

Chosen squad: 7 chosen, 1 champ, 3 heavy bolters, 2 twin linked bolters?

10 Chaos space marines, 2 plasma guns, mark of nurgle, champion with powerfist

8 Chaos space marines, champ with fist, plasma

6 Raptors, 2 plasma pistols or 2 meltas (which is better)

I don't think this list will be awesome, but I have a lot of fun with CSM or SM infantry armies! The chosen will be havocs with infiltrate, the hq will fly around with raptors forming the tip of the spear for my main attack or hanging back and countering charges.

What marks of chaos would help the chosen squads? Could someone give me a rough point estimate on what i'm buying. I know this forum isn't for army lists, but I have a lot of questions I want answered and I figured I'd get them answered quicker here.
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Mar 2008, 15:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Help with starting a chaos army.

I'd recommend getting the new codex, allot of things have changed. Before you do anything buy the new codex, and read it. when i started chaos (bought my first unit the other day) i bought the Codex and spent a month leafing through it learning all about the army etc.

i recommend a small purchase at first, maybe a lord and a couple of squads, and then decide where your going to go from there. that's what I've done and it all seems to be going fine.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Mar 2008, 21:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Money-wise you can't beat one of the package deals. The battleforce gives you 15 marines, 5 possessed, 8 zerkers and a rhino.

The army box gives you 1 terminator lord, 5 termies, 2 spawn, 5 possessed, 15 marines and a defiler.

Sure, you end up with things you don't want, but you can trade them away for stuff you do want.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 05:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

and dont forget to consider using assault marines as raptors.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Apr 2008, 20:45   #5 (permalink)
Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSon
What marks of chaos would help the chosen squads? Could someone give me a rough point estimate on what i'm buying. I know this forum isn't for army lists, but I have a lot of questions I want answered and I figured I'd get them answered quicker here.
Well then the first thing you really should buy should be Codex: Chaos Space Marines. Whenever you start collecting a new race, ideally you should have said races codex so that you can look up rules, make lists, analyse fluff etc... So I would recommend, nay, command that you buy the Codex first. :P Without it you can't properly equip your squads and assign them roles to play in your army. However what you have in mind to purchase already is pretty solid, but please buy the Codex first, it is the most detrimental tool you'll need to start a Chaos Space Marine force.
Old 02 Apr 2008, 22:05   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The codex came with what I ordered. I've got all of it now, everything is in the priming phase. The chaos codex is pretty sweet, and I've got my list all squared away now. Should be a fun army to play with, but I can't decide if I should if I should mechanize the list ala rhinos and land raider with termies, or if I should continue goin the all infantry route, with more raptors and some oblits to drop down on hard spots.

That is something I will have to decide after playing some games, and seeing if CSM can do their thing with no rhinos.
DanielSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Apr 2008, 17:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

you need to look at generally what kind of battlefied you fight on open areas etc. work well for mechanised, but i find in close city areas, or dense terrain like i play in, tanks just provide big targets.
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote