Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos Lord option
Old 27 Mar 2008, 02:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Chaos Lord option

Normally, when I do play 40k (which honestly isn't often), I run my normal Chaos Nurgle list. My army isn't that big - right now it consists of two squads of Chaos Space Marines and a Terminator Lord. I plan on making it bigger - adding one or two more squads of Marines, some Terminators, Obliterators, etc....

Anyway, I was looking at the Lord options, and I noticed the Slaanesh Daemon Weapon (I believe it's called the blissgiver.) It's really good - to remind those of you who don't have codices nearby, it gives the normal +D6 attacks, and every wound it an instant-kill. I think that's great, especially if your Lord's going to be engaging enemy HQ or similar in Close Combat, which I find he often does.

So, has anyone else considered this option? Normally, I like keeping my army all-Nurgle and giving my Termie Lord that (very helpful) +1 toughness, but it seems to me that it's worth it to take Slaanesh instead, giving him a nice Initiative as well as that awesome Daemon Weapon.

Thoughts? Is it not as good as I think it is? Even if the Lord does just fight troops for most of the game, it's almost worth the points to get the extra D6 attacks, let alone the instant killy-ness of it all.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 07:18   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Chaos Lord option

Plus, the extra initiative is useful so that you can be hitting those Loyalist Captains before they can hit you.
Lord_Caerolion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 08:55   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I used the Slaaneshi Lord on a tournament. But unfortunately... The main units I fought were nidzilla armies. (Within synapse no instant death )

I agree that it's one of the best daemonweapons. It's a real character killer because you strike before most units and with the D6 extra attacks you can really dish out some damage. (with a good roll you got 10 attacks on the charge!!) The only backfire is that if you roll a one, you can't attack and suffer a wound with no armour save. (though I think you can use your invulnerable save instead)
Zulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 13:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm a big fan of Lightning Claws + Jump pack, but for Terminator Lords I am liking the Tzeentch Demon Weapon; this way even if you are kept out of close combat you might just make your points back shooting up things like Devastators, assault marines, command squads and other low model high in points cost units.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 14:56   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Sensei Say; Blissgivers may Instagib, but so do Battlecannons.

Theme and character should override powergaming fetishes. If you like playing Nurgle, stick with Nurgle! Myself, I've never been one for Daemonweapons, save the Bedlam Staff during my Tzeenchian phase, and that mindset remains; Real Men make do with Power Weapons and Fists!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Wargamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Mar 2008, 17:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have to agree with Wargamer here. I wouldn't bother with a Slaanesh Lord in a all Nurgle Army.

And why settle for a Daemon weapon when you can get a Daemon Prince. They're as strong as a Lord with a DW, about as many attacks as you'd roll on average for the DW and no risk of self inflicted wounds and with wings you can have a super mobile scoring unit for less than a terminator lord with a Daemon Weapon.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Mar 2008, 02:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
Theme and character should override powergaming fetishes. If you like playing Nurgle, stick with Nurgle! Myself, I've never been one for Daemonweapons, save the Bedlam Staff during my Tzeenchian phase, and that mindset remains; Real Men make do with Power Weapons and Fists!
While I agree 100%, I just posted this to see what others thought about this seemingly really good weapon. While I have played with the Blissgiver once or twice to see how it was, I do 99% of the time play all-Nurgle. I just like to change it up a little - although I don't play 40k too often, it still gets repetitive for me to use all Nurgle all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadaver
And why settle for a Daemon weapon when you can get a Daemon Prince.
Yes, I actually have a Daemon Prince as well as a Lord right now, and fun-wise I like the Lord more, but the Daemon Prince to me is a much better model. It's about 50 points cheaper than a Termie Lord w/ Daemon Weapon, and just about as good, (better in some cases), so yeah, I agree with you there as well.