Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chaos and Cultists...
Old 23 Mar 2008, 22:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Chaos and Cultists...

Hey all.

I've been interested in starting a new, small Chaos force (though I'm sure we all know that no 40k army remains small for very long). However, I am already running a Black Templars army and didn't really want to play another "Space Marine" force. I also understand that the Demons of Chaos book comes out in a few months as well, but I really have no interest in the demons (bar the Soul grinder, if anyone knows what that is...) So, rambling aside, I wanted to make a Chaos force that blended Chaos Space Marines AND Cultist. From what I understand, the Lost and the Damned is all cultist, and the new codex is all Space Marines. I was looking for a peaceful medium.

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with finding a good way to blend renegades/cultist with Space Marines, and none of the rules have to be super official or anything. Just looking for a small army (no more than 750-1000 points) for friendly games and stuff. Any links, advice, tips, recommendations, pictures, criticism, or heretical teachings would be much appreciated by much wiser disciples of the Warp than I.
Old 23 Mar 2008, 23:47   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Chaos and Cultists...

space marines with daemon hunter henchman.

Wont take much.

you can have henchman with shooting weapons
you can have henchman with crude weapons
dudes that excel using the warp

and all of this, with inquisitors (rogue space marine, or something) and psyker abilities, and awesome weapon variations.

in all reasonable aspects, a space marine army, can be no different then a undivided chaos marine force. Both roll morales, and a space marine army can include chaplains, a variation of the one we used in the old codex.

call them radicals and youll be fine.

in addition, using the space marine trait system, can gear your marines for whatever you wish. bolt pistol close combat weapon, or just a bolter. Bikers as troops, or a hell of a lot of plasma cannons. :
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 06:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

If you don't mind working with some house rules, the Lost and the Damned Apocalypse datasheet is a good basis for cultists and mutants. It can be worked into a balanced list with a bit of work. Maybe move Cult Legion marines options to Elites and have Cultists and standard CSMs as troops.

Alternatively, if you wanted to stick with just the Chaos codex you could make that work as well. Use the Lesser daemon rules for Cultists. The stats and point costs are a bit high but it can work. The summoning can be represented as the cultists emerging from buildings, hidden tunnels, etc. You could even convert tanks to make them look like looted imperial vehicles, using leman russes as defilers. Possibly give them lots of battle damage to represent a lower armor value.

With the upcoming Daemons Codex, there will probably be even more options to represent a LaTD force. While there are rumors floating around to what the codex will contain, until the codex is available it is a little tough to try and give advice on how to incorporate that codex into a LaTD army. I can say that the Bloodletters seem to be the cheapest troop choice and have no armor, using them as close combat weapon wielding fanatics might be a good option. Tzeentch daemons should have lots of shooting options so you could use them to represent gun carrying cultists. Heralds could work as either Demagogues or rogue CSMs leading mobs of cultists and mutants. Then you could have regular daemons being used as units summoned by the cultists. As I said, with the daemons codex, these are just ideas and I can't say for certain if any of this will be completely viable just yet but it might give you some inspiration once the codex hits the shelves.

Hope that helps.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Mar 2008, 06:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

or if people dont mind, work with the previous chaos codex and play with the latd army list rules.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 14:57   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hm... interesting ideas there. Thanks for the help. I was originally looking towards more of an Alpha Legion based army (henceforth the cultist) but with further research I've decided to go with some good ol fashioned Khornate World Eaters (Plus I need an army to paint red...)

Thanks again, though. I like the idea of 'reversing' the inquisition. That would make for some interesting games.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 18:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

well, you can take the space marine traits and make a berzerker, at least a fearful berzerker.

take the fight to them for the bolt pistol ccw

furious assault for the charge.

coincidently, they are 21 pts each.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 19:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by sionnach19
Hm... interesting ideas there. Thanks for the help. I was originally looking towards more of an Alpha Legion based army (henceforth the cultist) but with further research I've decided to go with some good ol fashioned Khornate World Eaters (Plus I need an army to paint red...) Thanks again, though. I like the idea of 'reversing' the inquisition. That would make for some interesting games.
As an observation, the Renegades and Heretics list from IA5 is a Chaos IG list with unusual properties: you can take a limited number of Space Marines and there are some changes (ie. berserk Ogryns). On Vraks, these are Alpha Legion painted in the original colours (they're pretending to be a Loyalist chapter - how neat would that be?), and Forge World even released special IG models to use if you want (Nurglite Priests, Ogryns, etc.).
Old 25 Mar 2008, 20:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Oooh.... I like that IA 5 book already. Unfortunately, from what I understand the books are ridiculously expensive and hard to get (Live in the USA and our dollar ain't doing so well...) but the rules fit. If I could find a way to scrounge up that information that would be exactly what I'm looking for...

that's not to say I'm not open to any other ideas, or people who know an easy/cheap way to GET IA5...
Old 25 Mar 2008, 20:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Oooh.... I like that IA 5 book already. Unfortunately, from what I understand the books are ridiculously expensive and hard to get (Live in the USA and our dollar ain't doing so well...) but the rules fit. If I could find a way to scrounge up that information that would be exactly what I'm looking for... that's not to say I'm not open to any other ideas, or people who know an easy/cheap way to GET IA5...
Live in USA and am poor <===

I too want my own personal copy of IA5 just to moon over, but Pounds Sterling 38 is currently US$75... *howls in rage*. The R&H list is so sexy I was tempted to make it my first army, but decided to go Dark Eldar plastics. Those FW models are beyond sexy... have you seen them? Tasty.

I have not found any New World carrier of IA books, to my surprise. Not even Amazon - I'd have to order them direct and sit on my hands for weeks waiting for an international shipment. Mind you, I live in Cambridge MA, which is nerd capital of the United States... even we don't have one, and we have all these famous obscure booksellers - Schoenhof's, Million Year Picnic, Panĉmonium...

Can you imagine how hawt a Vraks-style IA book about Eldar, Eldar Pirates and Dark Eldar would be? I swoon.
Old 25 Mar 2008, 20:59   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Oooh.... I like that IA 5 book already. Unfortunately, from what I understand the books are ridiculously expensive and hard to get (Live in the USA and our dollar ain't doing so well...) but the rules fit. If I could find a way to scrounge up that information that would be exactly what I'm looking for...

that's not to say I'm not open to any other ideas, or people who know an easy/cheap way to GET IA5...
They are expensive but aren't hard to get. Ordering direct from Forgeworld is pretty simple. They don't have the prices converted so you need to go to a site like xe.com to find what the price is in US dollars. You could also buy from thewarstore.com which sells some FW products. The prices are marked up a bit but if you factor in the 15% shipping charge from FW it's not that much more and if they have the product in stock you'll be getting it weeks before you would from FW.

Also, for more information on IA5, Anton did a review awhile back.
Cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote