Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Is a Defiler "Must Have"?
Old 22 Mar 2008, 20:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Is a Defiler "Must Have"?

I've been reading around the Codex a bit, and the Defiler looks like a good choice to take for an Army list. It has a range of weapons, and is great in CC, but for some reason, I think it seems like a bit of a waste of a Heavy Support choice. I don't know why I think it, but it seems to lack anti-tank weaponry, aside from the battlecannon. The other Choices seem much flexible; Obliterators have all those choices of weaponry, Devestators are cheap, and have all those weapons that you can shoot in one turn and Land raiders have their Lascannons, and their ability to carry a potential tank busting squad of termies.

I don't know why, but I love to have a good choice of heavy weaponry, or weapons that pack a punch (E.g; my squad of 5 chosen, all with meltaguns) so for some reason, powerfull weapons are a must ;D

Sorry, back to the original question, are Defilers worth it?
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 20:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox
Default Re: Is a Defiler "Must Have"?

I'd like to use one, they're pure awesome, and not that expensive anymore.. In the original codex there were too many upgrades to give it, but now its not too bad.. just the A12 that lets it down..

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Mar 2008, 22:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Brass Claw

I wouldn't say that they are a "must have" but a very good asset in most armies.

As a Worldeater i use a single defiler to give my mostly Close Combat force, a nice ranged infantry killer. The battle cannon has great range and is most likely to hit targets before the enemy Anti-tank homes in.

My suggestion is that you need to support it, AT Tank and AT deepstrikers are going to look at your defiler as a good soft point. You should back it up with predators(this is what i use) and Obilts and take out the enemies assets before they are able to strike.

I have seen people use three defilers and run them up into CC. Of course this is risky, A 12FA isn't going to last long infront or hordes of AT weapons, Also when in CC, a Powerfist or Rending unit can ruin your day.
Old 23 Mar 2008, 00:58   #4 (permalink)
Anton

I think Defilers are great in small points games, around 750pts-1000pts, and can really add some serious firepower to your army. Of course there is a risk it could get destroyed, but in small points games I don't expect to face much Anti-Tank weaponry. Plus now that they can fleet, assaulting you're opponent with a massive Daemon Engine just became much more entertaining. :funny:
Old 23 Mar 2008, 05:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Bubgum,

While not a "must-have" per se, it is a phenominal unit. I personally favor trading in all arm weaponry for Dreadnought Close Combat Weapons for the whole "6 x S10 attacks on the charge" thing. I only ever use the battlecannon to shoot with anyway...
Use on ninja-like movement and the "fleet" special rule allows this unit to see combat quickly if you wish, and the Battlecannon means tha you can bombard with aplomb! It's great in small points games (as anton says), but with proper care and feeding, it can find itself right at home even in a apocalypse game as a rear-echcalon counter-assault unit and long range-bombardment cannon.

Good times!
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

it always looked, to me, quite hard to build, is this so?
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Nope. All plastic. Very simple =)
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Mar 2008, 23:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

The main thing to me is the fact that it is a tank (and a low-armored one at that). This means that there is a huge chance that it won't see battle - all the enemy needs each turn is a glancing hit and (chances are) your Defiler will be stunned, shaken, etc. and really, it just seems to me that it's not worth it to get most tanks since they can so easily be hindered. Although they can be good fire magnets.

However, they do seem really fun and good, so I may try to use one (if anything just so that I can paint that awesome model). Fleet would definately help it, so if it can get in Close Combat quick enough I can see it surviving for a while.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 02:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

um 1shot, defilers are immune to crew shaken and crew stunned
Old 30 Mar 2008, 04:14   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wait...what?

Dang! I had no idea...I thought Daemonic Possession was something else...

I'm definately fielding a Defiler now. No doubt about it. Thanks, Mike, you may have just saved my army.