Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Most Efficient Lascannon
Old 08 Mar 2008, 04:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Most Efficient Lascannon

This came up while I was reading through the armylist section. What is the most efficient way to field a lascannon in a chaos army?

I thought obliterators trump havocs. Only 25pts more than a havoc with a lascannon and the obliterator doesn't have to pay for meatshields and can move and fire. But then I thought about the single turret predator annihilator. For another 30pts on top of the obliterator it has some pretty decent bonuses.

1) It is more mobile, always moving 6"
2) It is more resilient to all except krak missile type shooting (and even then it's not bad)
3) Can never be locked in combat
4) Is twinlinked
5) Can sacrifice a turn of shooting to become far more durable by popping smoke or moving fast (I know that means they can still penetrate, but it makes it harder to hit in CC)

The Havoc vs Predator scenario I had never considered because of the massive difference in cost the two had but then when I thought about it this way "predator > obliterator > havoc" it made a fair bit of sense to me. So I thought I might just throw it out there.
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 07:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Most Efficient Lascannon

A predator does have much more advantages, I agree, but personally, I would go with a squad of obliterators, because you could have potentially 3 lascannons in one shot, and as you stated before, they can move & shoot. Albeit, slightly more expensive for a squad.
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 12:35   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i wouldnt go for a predator with no side sponsons.
i would rather go for obliterators, they have weapons for all suituations.

LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Mar 2008, 17:38   #4 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

I aggre. Obliterators are your best choice.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2008, 03:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just a question, do you two think that obliterators are better for the variety or because they are just a better way of getting a lascannon onto the field?

Because initially I started this when Crisis_vyper's armylist got me thinking about it. but now I realize that my own army really lacks a threat towards AV13+ and would really like to know whether or not to get 2 of these or 3 (1,2) obliterators (possibly 4 (2,2) if I move things around a bit)
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2008, 08:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree

I would say a WHOLE squad of obliterators, or a predator will ALL lascannons
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2008, 08:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

A whole squad of Obli's are quite Expensive, yet very, very flexible. I would go for Obli's because they can move up to 6" and still fire all 3 weapons in the squad, but the Pred can only shoot everything if it's stationary, If I remember :
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Mar 2008, 17:03   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

this predator is actually quite good. i read the rules and you cannot fire all weapons if you move up to 6" (looks like i have cheated in my last games ^^).

so 1 twinlinked lascannon predator is a good one, though its hard to compare infantry with vehicles. i guess if you only want the lascannon its better with this predator.
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Mar 2008, 18:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I honestly like using 6 man chosen squads with lascannons; Infiltrate them into good defensive positions, try to catch tanks in a cross fire so you can take advantage of their side armor...
Old 10 Mar 2008, 19:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would say Predator loses to both Havocs and Obliterators: it's just too fragile. Havocs can withstand large amounts of firepower when positioned properly (and, most of all, buffed up with ablative wounds), and Obliterators are IMO the toughest nails in a Chaos army. I do use a Predator, but only as a support vehicle.
Havocs vs. Obliterators, though... Hard choice. Havocs have one big advantage: they can get a Rhino. That makes them much more versatile, you can even give them all flamers and just burn the field on a wild ride if you wish to do so. Oblits though can stop a few IG squads singlehandedly, while shooting down Leman Russes. I can't really decide between them, so I'm using both!
Originally Posted by Tak'Ukos
Oh God, not that deamnohunters! :P
Who else would fight Choas with Palasma weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
My Shas'O, I picture as an old grizzled war vet. However, he has a bit of a gung-ho streak. Think Sun Tzu meets Yeosemite Sam
Solarius Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote