Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Extra Armour on Rhinos
Old 05 Mar 2008, 05:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Extra Armour on Rhinos

Before hand, at 5pts, this was a mandatory upgrade that only the insanely brave (Or just plain insane) would enter battle without.

But now at almost +50% to the points cost, it seems less a neccessity and more of a luxury. Do you think it is still a great upgrade or just something that might be considered if points were spare?

(Also, if anyone thinks it's great on any other vehicle then mention that too, even though I think daemonic possession trumps it on any of the other vehicles as they have guns.)
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2008, 06:03   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to JeZuZ
Default Re: Extra Armour on Rhinos

any dreadnought will want it
Old 05 Mar 2008, 12:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyblue
But now at almost +50% to the points cost, it seems less a neccessity and more of a luxury. Do you think it is still a great upgrade or just something that might be considered if points were spare?
It is a good upgrade as it gives you a little more reliability but as you point out it is rather expensive now and it only helps on certain damage results. Due to its higher pts cost I see it as more of a luxury and I generally only take it if I have extra pts to spare. It does though depend on the unit you have inside the rhino and also how many rhinos you play with. If you only have 1, its probably going to be given to an expensive assalt unit in which case giving it EA is generally wise. If like me you play with 3 or 4 rhinos, I think its generally not needed as much as you will still have other units to achieve your objectives and the points saved can be put to good use elsewhere.

edit- I am a little wary about putting daemonic possession on any other vehicle than a vindicator or close combat dread. The fact that it lowers your BS can affect your damage output and it isnt that cheap.
Sardis Varrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 05:19   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

How I always look at the new cheapo rhinos after the extra armour pts hike is as follows. You basically get the extra armour (at the old price) and smoke for free. Then they toss in a searchlight so you can taunt guardsmen by shining it in their eyes and yelling "see, we have flashlights too!"
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 06:56   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Khalastas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead
How I always look at the new cheapo rhinos after the extra armour pts hike is as follows. You basically get the extra armour (at the old price) and smoke for free. Then they toss in a searchlight so you can taunt guardsmen by shining it in their eyes and yelling "see, we have flashlights too!"
BEST. LINE. EVER!

Thanks,
-Khalastas
Old 06 Mar 2008, 07:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree

IMO, i think extra armour is crap anyway, Rhino's don't last all that long in the battle field, id rather give the rhino deamonic possesion then extra armour, or just use the rhino as a bullet magnet
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 09:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think a Havoc Launcher is a better investment than Extra Armour, besides we all know the Rhino is destined for destruction, why not let it go down in style? Plus lobbing the occasional template into the enemy is likely to make them a little red in the face... :P

Rhino's are pointless, (unless if you want to play a Mechanised army) they always get destroyed usually by turn 1, and rely too heavily on player luck, or your opponent being blind or brain damaged.
Cyberdude! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 16:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

I dunno, I've had some rather decent success with rhinos in my chaos force. A couple Plague Marine units in rhinos have worked out quite well for me. I also like to toss a Raptor squad into the mix for a rather nasty combo of units.

If there's a nice convenient piece of cover or I get the first turn, I'll be a bit aggressive. Plague Marines in Rhinos floor it up the table with the Raptors right behind using the rhinos to block LoS. If I can get behind some cover, great! If not I pop smoke and make it a lot more difficult to knock out my rhinos. If they kill the rhinos I use their wrecks as a defensive position. Plague Marines in 4+ cover are horrendously difficult to shift. If they don't I can drive up, unload, rapid fire plasma into people's faces and charge with the Raptors. Either I get a nice dug in forward position or I spearhead an attack into their lines. Either way I'm happy.

If there's no good cover to hide the rhinos behind, the rhinos become cover. I don't like to gamble on getting first turn, so I'll probably set up the Plague Marines just behind the rhinos so if the tanks survive (or I do end up going first), I can hop in and do what I said in the last paragraph. Should they kill the rhinos, I have to play a lil more defensively. The good news is I have a couple plague marine units now bolstering my line, and now they have some nice cover to do it from.
I'd hate to get on his bad side... >
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Fishy has just proved to me that Canadians CAN be scary...
Fish Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 17:50   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i find it surprising to see how everyone dislikes the rhino, earlier people wouldn't go without them

i think they are alright. you get to ride them one turn then they draw some fire from the enemy. but i would never ever take the extra armor. if they shoot at the rhino it WILL go down (unless with like 2 bolters). if you manage to get out of it with crew stunned, well just take out your men and use the almighty twinlinked bolter on the rhino :P (power gamers could use it to block sight and stuff).

basically for 35pts your men will get to the enemy 1 turn earlier.
the biggest drawback of the rhino is that it costs alot of money! luckily you get 5 marines too and some nice bitz
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Mar 2008, 17:57   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that daemonic possession is a must for Vindicators, as you dont need a BS to hit, and the only way to not shoot is if the armament is destroyed.
"Roses are #FF0000, violets are #0000FF, all my base are belong to you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus
Circus: Yes well Bubgum we've been gradually establishing today that you're wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton
Anton: I placed the broom between my legs, engaged the engine, applied the gas and away I was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
I'm working on it, I'll even unclip the crotch flap so it swings
Bubgum is offline   Reply With Quote