Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Nurgle vs. Tzeentch on a Daemon Prince
Old 29 Feb 2008, 20:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Nurgle vs. Tzeentch on a Daemon Prince

Okay, at lunch I discussed this issue with another 40k player and we came to the conclusion that a Mark of Nurgle might be slightly more effective on average than the Mark of Tzeentch. But we weren't to sure, has anyone ever crunched the numbers on this before?

-This is specifically in reference to a Daemon Prince with Wings and Warptime.

-My thought process at the moment is to run one of each (in 1500-2000 pts)
dave_1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 20:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to Abaddon the despoiler
Default Re: Nurgle vs. Tzeentch on a Daemon Prince

Mark of Tzeentch all the way reasons +1 to iv saves and lets not forget that you can have a second power for you daemon prince.

wings
warp time
gift of chaos
mark of Tzeentch
Abaddon the despoiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Feb 2008, 20:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I am trying to streamline the points cost on the HQ's... so I am staying away from adding additional powers. Lemme re-phrase. Which Mark does everyone think would statistically make the model more survivable? I'm not trying to math-hammer it to death, I am really just curious.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 21:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Against small arms fire, the Mark of Nurgle is the way to go. Against Anti-tank, the Mark of Tzeentch wins out. Figure out whichever one you play the majority of your games against, and take the appropriate mark. Keep in mind that if you don't have anything else for the enemy anti-tank to shoot at, they'll target your demon prince instead.
Old 01 Mar 2008, 00:08   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i would go for nurgle.

nurgle will help zero against lascannons and the like, but in my experience light fire is the hardest for him. the lascannon will still only take 1 wound, but the thousands of shots raining from rapid fire takes him down.

also remember with his great mobility, he can hide from the most dangerous tanks.

and the T6 will help him in cc way more than the 4+ invuln.
with tzeentch he still cant take on powerweapons or powerfists so it won't make much difference in CC.

also a second power is too expensive for him i believe.
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 09:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Just do take in mind that the Deamon prince is T5, nurgle ups this to T6.

So in CC let's compare hitting scores for each races common troops choice:

Tau: Fire warriors need 6's to hit, 6's to hit again so no benefit though good against kroot (who uses kroot though, honestly) as before tehy would need 5's which are now 6's so the advantage there is nil.
Eldar: All s3 as far as I know so 6's either way :P.
Marines: Of all types 5's then 6's so the MoN helps alot againts marine meta however it's useless versus powerfists.
Guard: Meh. as per Eldar but powerfists......
Necrons: 5's then 6's although princes are rather ineffective against them they will still die easier however as tehy are denied they're WBB save. MoN is good verus necrons.
Nids: Rending doesn't give a dam even if he is T6 or whatever.

That's my summary as far as CC is concerned I think taht Tzeentch is teh way to go because they have a 50-50 chance of deflecting any blow.
As for shooting MoT is better simply put.
And points wise I think Tzeentch is cheaper so by all means roll on Tzeentch!

Quote from Bubgum: ... BrassDaemon isn't that stupid
Oh I assure you Bubgum I am

My instinct of selr-preservastion say: RUN! RUN AWAY!.... But I think my curiosity will win... AGAIn- quote Cmdrbonesaw
Brassdeamon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 13:25   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

MoN helps alot vs marines and necrons in CC but you are right it was not as good as i thought. alot of races have just str 3.
Oh you forgot orks. Well if the orks charges you MoN will be good.

points wise they are both 20.

IMO the T6 will help against more than the invuln save will. remember its not much that cuts through his power armour.

but if your opponent goes mass lascannons or so id go for tzeentch :P

you should also bear in mind that demon prince without T6 is not much tougher than a marine. if the enemy can, he WILL point those bolters at you but with T6 they cant really hurt you.
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 16:45   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcyCool
Against small arms fire, the Mark of Nurgle is the way to go. Against Anti-tank, the Mark of Tzeentch wins out. Figure out whichever one you play the majority of your games against, and take the appropriate mark. Keep in mind that if you don't have anything else for the enemy anti-tank to shoot at, they'll target your demon prince instead.
I would agree with this point.

In addition, the role that you give the Daemon Prince will really determine which mark is the better one for him. If you give him the role of heavy infantry assaulter, the extra toughness would help out in a long way. Most infantry have a hard time killing the Nurgle Daemon Prince, unless of course they are dedicated assaulters, and even then it will only slightly tip[ed the balanced to the Nurgle Daemon Prince. Rending units are meant to bring down Monstrous creatures, so you can't put Rending into the 'dedicated assaulters' category.

If you plan for your Daemon Prince to be an anti-tank platform, the Mark of Tzeentch would help with the psychic powers. That would explain why the Invul save is upgraded upon the Tzeentchian Daemon Prince, for his abilities enables him to be a tank hunter and thus he will have lots of fire drawn against him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 23:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to razgriz_cipher

Tzeentch has better protection agianst meltaguns also or anything strength 8 or higher. Nurgle portects from small arms fire like bolters. Ion cannons can kill the prince. Nurgle makes it 3+ ouch. Tzeentch makes it reduced by half but wounding on 2+. Also no one yet has considered doombolt after using warptime which gives you reroll to hit and wound . This is good vs marines but not plauge marines. A lot of opponents pobalby will fear the prince though and shoot at it.
Old 03 Mar 2008, 19:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

After reading through all the viewpoints I think I will probably stick to my original idea and field a Nurgle and a Tzeentch Prince. Rather than two of either. Maybe this way I can place the Tzeentch Prince in the way of the high strength weaponry and the Nurgle Prince in the thick of the hordes.