Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Khornate Troops
View Poll Results: Which Troops choice is better and why?
Khorne Berserkers 21 91.30%
CSMs w/ Icon of Khorne 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26 Feb 2008, 05:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Khornate Troops

Ok, I post this question as I have been more and more drawn to a renegade Khornate aligned Traitor Chapter. Ever since I saw the way to mix ink and get a "blood slick steel" look I've been tempted. I looked into the codex, ready to make my chapter but then realised I had no idea what to get.

The more and more I studied the book, the more and more I decided that Khorne Berserkers are not nearly as efficient as CSMs with the Icon. Cheaper in any squad no matter the size, with a greater variety of armament I do think my armyt will be entirely renegade.

But then I always have been primarily a Nurgle player.

What does TO think?
Old 26 Feb 2008, 06:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to fat_tree
Default Re: Khornate Troops

Khorne beserkers all the way, nothing beats a great WS of 5. Only down side is the lack of long ranged weapons but furious charge makes up for it
fat_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2008, 09:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think that Berserkers still have the edge in assault.

It depends on how you wanna play your khornate army. If you want to play with a little bit more shooting, then by all means use CSMs with IoK, but a squad or two of Berserkers would provide excellent counter-charge.

If you want Khornate Raptors or Chosen tying up the enemy early with assault, Berserkers are the troops you want coming in in the second wave.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2008, 12:08   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

also remember that berzerkers are fearless!

basically, you pay a few points for fearless and furious charge.

but you lose the bolter and some options.

also, berzerkers are THE KHORNE BERZERKERS blood for the blood god etc!
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 12:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

looks like I'm largely outnumbered here but I had to go for the normal marines with the icon. The way I see it:

Marines:
Can take melta guns - which I find fill a gap in an all khornate army
Can choose to shoot - After playing a couple of years of the charge or charge mentality berzerkers of last ed, I really appreciate the choice.
IoK is a one time purchase - they are cheaper, especially in larger squads

Berzerkers:
Ws 5 - can't fault it, it's a major plus in their favour.
Furious charge - seems great on paper, but on a footslogging unit and not working when consolidating it just doesn't seem to work as often as you would hope.
Fearless - I play a lot of fantasy, and with the devestating effects of LD in that compared to 40k I find myself seeing this as more of a bonus than as an actual attribute.

Seeing as I don't find myself wishing for that +1Ws all that often, I find marines a far better choice as the staple unit in a khornate army.
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 13:10   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

well, if you are tired of CC troops why don't you try another cult?
or another mark for your marines to switch playstyle.

but if you must play khorne and you are tired of berzerkers then by all means go with normal marines. nothing beats what you think is fun to play.
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 14:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

I'd have a couple os squads of berzerkers, raptors, and some havocs :P raptors get there first and weaken, berzerkers second and squish whatever is left, and then havocs just shoot the big things, and have some of your own big things like dreads.. or some chosen to infiltrate

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2008, 17:55   #8 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

I prefer bezerkers because of their edge in combat.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2008, 04:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Ah, but doesn't quantity have a quality of its own? Would not all the extra attacks from having more models help out, as well as having the option to rapid fire against things like genestealers you'd rather not charge? Does it not help that you can tote assault weapons to give you that extra punch against hard target or flamers to destroy large units? What about the ability to be underestimated?
Old 02 Mar 2008, 04:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSK
well, if you are tired of CC troops why don't you try another cult?
or another mark for your marines to switch playstyle.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love close combat. I think the person who decided to put a chainsaw on the end of a gun in a video game is the most brilliant man alive BUT there are times when I like the fact that I can actually shoot the lancer attached to my chainsaw (Some people might want to tell you that it is in fact the chainsaw which is attached to the lancer...spoilsports! :P)

Oh, and just for the record, if I wanted a single khornate unit for an undivided army, I'd go with the berzerkers as well. (just realized the topic might have moved slightly from an all khorne army persective to a plain IoK vs Berzerker perspective)
Puppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote