Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Chosen w/ the Mark of Khorne
Old 24 Feb 2008, 09:17   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Chosen w/ the Mark of Khorne

I believe we can all remember back in the old Codex that units with the mark of Khorne were unable to bear proper assault weapons, nor were they able to Infiltrate; I assume these were for balance issues.

Then I look at the current codex. I see that the Icon of Khorne is more than reasonably priced. Sure, you're losing out on Khornate chain axes, but chosen can get a mix of power weaponry goodness to make up for it on top of the prequisite 2 Melta Guns (because in chaos if you can infiltrate next to that tank/expensive IC/Skimmer and pop it turn 1, can you afford not to?) Not only that but you get a turn to rapid fire and thin out their numbers as well.

What then do you all think of using 2 or 3 big units (16-20) of Chosen with the Icon of Khorne to get the pressure on the enemy early and keep it up, all the while delivering a Greater demon, a squad of Terminators, lesser demons or Raptors right into the heart of the enemy?

With Khorne the struggle has always been making it up the table. Now you get to start right where you want to be, and with the huge unit sizes you avoid getting your Icon plucked AND maximize the Icon's efficiency.

Thoughts and/or comments on the matter?
Old 24 Feb 2008, 10:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Chosen w/ the Mark of Khorne

Well, I don't think we can do anything to approach the devastating potential of the previous codex's Alpha Legion.

However, I think that your general idea for Chosen maximises their potential. I've changed my army list to not include Chosen any more because infiltration is so difficult to pull off with smallish squads which are loaded with special weapons. They just scream for the enemy's attention, and if you've got them in rapid fire range, they'll die to the whole enemy's fire quicker than they can make back their points.

So I reckon you wanna go all or none. And I'd agree that IoK makes the most sense.

You know, I quite like your idea. I especially like how it gets lesser daemons to be worth their points. However, one thing to remember is that Daemons don't take up a FOC selection, so you'd still need an HQ other than a Greater Daemon and troops other than Lesser Daemons.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2008, 13:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

An Chaos Lord w/ a Mark of Khorne, jump pack, Lightning Claws is only 150pts. Cheap, fast, deadly, efficient and those chosen get him within striking range but also act as a shield due to his IC status, keeping him from harm.

2 Rhino Squads are a very cheap as well.

5 Khorne Berserkers
105pts
-Rhino
-+35pts

You use these troops to claim objectives while the chosen make a muck of things.
Old 24 Feb 2008, 16:15   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

One small problem with this strategy, as much as I like it, is that Chosen squads have a max size of 10. Of course having 20-30 on your door step is still pretty frightening.

Though I agree with Chimerical about how Chosen may as well be painted with bullseyes. They die just as easily as normal marines but are almost assuredly loaded up with 10-15 pt upgrades on half the squad. I especially feel that the meltagun is an especially bad choice because although you might be within 12" of his army, there is no guarantee that you will A) go first, or B) be within 12" of a tank. Then they die the next turn because no one wants a squad like that in their lines. So chosen with meltaguns are a one trick pony.

Giving them plasmaguns I think is better because they then have extra range and if you sit them in woods, you've practically got a 24" Str7 AP2 Heavy4 turret.

Another big weakness of Chosen is the terrain. If the terrain isn't favourable for an infiltrating unit, then they can be wasted points.

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2008, 18:14   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i want to point out a few things here.

first, depending on the mission rules you may not always infiltrate.

second, infiltrate means 18" away from the enemy, and 12 if no enemy can draw line of sight to them. This is not easy to pull of, and even harder if you plan to hide them behind a building and go out to fire meltas against a tank.

i played with my small 5 man chosen today, and i couldnt infiltrate them 12" away from the enemy (still 18" is pretty nice, and i got to take down a heavy destroyer before they got tied up).

and if you plan playing 20-30 chosen you will definitely not be able to get them all in a good position.

still i think chosen are great, for just 3pts you get infiltrate and lots of nice options.
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2008, 09:58   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to kael8973

i use chosen with mark of khorne as a reutine for my lord. they make a very hard hitting unit when equiped properly. and with my lord with them swinging a daemon weapon they can take nearly any target i send them at.

heres the setup i use

6 chosen-203 pts
4 power weapons
flamer
mark of khorne

all mounted in a landraider with the lord. i was just going to use khorne berzerkers, but the sheer number of power weapons and other things these guys can take made them a better option in my opinion.