Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

pistol rules question
Old 15 Feb 2008, 22:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default pistol rules question

hi, quick question about pistol and its rules. have been searching but can not find what i want to know.

if i use some weapon other than pistol in the shooting phase, do i still get bonus attacks in the assault phase?

the rules sais pistol count as a cc weapon, but i remember reading something that you may only use one shooting weapon each turn.

so does pistol always count as cc weapon no matter what?
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 22:21   #2 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

Default Re: pistol rules question

The simple answer is yes :P but you only get the bonus attacks if you have a second close-combat weapon.

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 22:49   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ok thanks mate
LUSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2008, 23:01   #4 (permalink)
AC
Shas'Ui

no problem

There are three things that matter in marksmanship. Location, Location, Location - Vindicare Assassin Training Dogma.

I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but I know that World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones - Albert Einstein

Semper Fi
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 01:41   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Purge

the pistol counts as a gun in the shooting phase, so you can shoot with it or another gun. if you shoot with another gun you can still use it as a cc weapon though
As Thule glanced out on the ruins, his heart fell. The dead were many, and yet they had given freedom to their brothers, bitter sweet freedom that was as much a curse as it was a blessing but yet freedom. Being of the highest price freedom had meant exile from the imperium but the Sons of Nocturne remained loyal to the emperor and only his light guided them through.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 07:42   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

unless you shoot a rapid firirng weapon, which won`t let you assault afterwards, and obviously heavy weapons, (except terminator armor wearers)

eldad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 11:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Taking the rules literally, it's not just shooting the rapid fire weapon but shooting any weapon while carrying a rapid fire weapon that will mean that you cannot charge.

So, if you wanna charge with a unit of CSMs, the only models that are allowed to shoot are the ones who have replaced their bolter with an assault gun (melta or flamer). The models with bolt pistols and bolters are not allowed to shoot either weapon if you want them to assault.

Stupid rule. I suppose it's unintentional - it should probably read 'wishing to fire' rather than 'carrying' a rapid-fire weapon. But that's how it's written. Hope they remember to change that in 5th ed.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 17:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Do you have a rules quote for that Chimerical? I'm looking at the text and having a hard time figuring out how one could pull anything close to that definition from the rule. (It doesn't state 'carrying' anywhere in there.)

Quote:
An infantry unit that fired twice with pistols or which shot with rapid fire weapons or remained stationary to fire heavy weapons may not charge at all in the assault phase.
Old 21 Feb 2008, 22:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

P.29 in my A5 rulebook, in the last paragraph under 'Rapid Fire Weapons', on the page entitled 'Weapon Types':

Quote:
Models carrying rapid fire weapons that wish to charge into close combat in the assault phase may not fire in the shooting phase.
I've also heard that this has been successfully argued at tournaments.
Chimerical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Feb 2008, 23:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimerical
I've also heard that this has been successfully argued at tournaments.
That, I find unsurprising. Just about anything can be successfully argued at tournaments.

The conflicting info in the rulebook at least gives traction to both sides of the argument. And I'm relatively certain that the intent is that you can't shoot a Rapid Fire weapon and then assault. But to each their own...